Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2004 4:39:51 PM EDT
Tonight we had a banquet to welcome the new freshman.  So this prof gets up there and starts welcoming us and then goes into a 20 minute rant about how we cannot win the war on terror.

Grrr…

Is this what college life is going to be like?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes!

The state schools are full of Liberals.

Of course you have to seek out the conservative groups.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Tonight we had a banquet to welcome the new freshman.  So this prof gets up there and starts welcoming us and then goes into a 20 minute rant about how we cannot win the war on terror.

Grrr…

Isn't he agreeing with what Bush recently said - or was the tone different?

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the hell off the computer and spend the next four years chasing coeds.

Then for your sophomore, junior & senior years...

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#4]
University faculty.  Never encounter a more clueless, cynical, and far leftist class of people in my life.  Maybe journalists are worse.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
University faculty.  Never encounter a more clueless, cynical, and far leftist class of people in my life.  Maybe journalists are worse.

Hey - don't be hatin'

It's not ALL university faculty !!  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe..but your example is about as statistically significant as one reluctant lemming in a migration.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#7]
just show up for classes occasionally to make the professors feel needed (get the glasses that make it look like your eyes are actually open), the rest of the time it's beer & babes! Wooooohoooooooooooooo!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:00:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Maybe..but your example is about as statistically significant as one reluctant lemming in a migration.

nah you just got to find the right department.... NOT LIBERAL ARTS...
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:02:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

agreed.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#10]
what school you going to?

my school doesn't have so much of that... even though it is vermont- perks of going to a military school :D otherwise it sucks.... have fun but get in and get out- i'm going on my 5th year here... arrg... now where did i put that beer?

-Roth
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I dunno - a lot of it varies by school/department is my guess.  

I work in a business school, and most people are pretty conservative.  I don't actually know a LOT of the other faculty - I probably only recognize about twenty to thirty of them by name (out of about 80 or so).  But, out of those that I know, several own firearms (off the top of my head, I know of FOUR faculty who have AR-15s, and several more who shoot skeet), and I would imagine that most of the faculty are conservative (probably partly a function of being paid more than many of the other faculty on campus ).  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey - don't be hatin'

It's not ALL university faculty !!  

Present company and economics faculty excepted.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Grrr…

Wrong school.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
just show up for classes occasionally to make the professors feel needed (get the glasses that make it look like your eyes are actually open), the rest of the time it's beer & babes! Wooooohoooooooooooooo!

lmao! i wish it was like that!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Ehh, I just watched the intro to PATTON, and now I'm back in the ARFcom mood.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Start an anonymous blog where you post the moronic things your professors say.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:34:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, it's highly variable depending on what department you're in. In the sciences and engineering they've got better things to talk about than politics. The liberal arts have become infested with politicized faculty in the last couple decades, but there's no inherent reason the field needs to be liberal or leftist.

You'll get out of school what you put into it. Pay attention to your studies. Read other stuff on top of that. And get involved with some sort of club sports to blow off steam.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The liberal arts have become infested with politicized faculty in the last couple decades,

Yes. If you're in LA, accept the fact that most of your teachers will be idiots. Hardcore idiots. I'm in History for another couple months and then I'm done. Especially watch out for TA grad students. Masters degree students are the worst. Many of them are vindictive little bastards who think they know far more than they do, and since they already have a Bachelor's degree that you should worship the ground they walk upon.

Also, the more to the left they are, the more they will punish you gradewise if you disagree with them. The lesson here is just to nod your head, agree with them, write what they want and get your A. It's not worth arguing about, and it's only four years anyway.

I only started having instructors I could stand my senior year. My military history prof (a lady currently writing a book on A-6's, and who does battlefield walks at Gettysburg with all sorts of people from Pentagon staff to enlisted men in the 82nd) was cool as hell, and my Celtic Studies prof is a great guy too, although you get the idea he knows so incredibly much about medeval history because he doesn't give a wet slap about anything else, which is okay by me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:04:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:31:46 AM EDT
[#21]
I have been in college for over 6 years now, and the sooner you learn to blow off the morons, and glean all the knowledge you can from those who actually have a few brain cells, the better off you will be.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I have been in college for over 6 years now, and the sooner you learn to blow off the morons, and glean all the knowledge you can from those who actually have a few brain cells, the better off you will be.

a little slow are we??    
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Grrr…

I guess because I was already old and opinionated when I went to college I just blew off all the b.s. No orientations, no welcoming potlucks, etc. I just went, got my degree, and left. Too hard to keep a straight face with any of the indoctrination stuff.

NMSight
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#24]
One of my college professors is a fellow shooter. . .
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:11:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
So this prof gets up there and starts welcoming us and then goes into a 20 minute rant about how we cannot win the war on terror.

Like it or not ........ That is the truth .

There will always be a new threat , group , or cause to fight . Using the term  " War On Terror "  is incorrect since the term " War " indicates that eventually there will be an end to the fight .

The US should announce to the rest of the world that we will use all means available to defend and preserve our way of life ..... End of Story  !!!    

It doesn’t need a title to define it .
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

a little slow are we??    

[tommy boy] Hey a lot of people go to school for seven yeas[/tommy boy]

Actually I changed majors after two years, and switched into a 5 year program which none of my previous credits counted towards. Good times, Good times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top