Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2004 3:41:09 PM EDT
This damage is within 1/2 mile of my house BEFORE the eye wall is even here.  I'm in Largo on the Gulf right by Clearwater and the bands are supposed to come back from the Gulf even stronger in the next few hours.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:42:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow.  Hope everything is OK at your place.

From the first pic it looks like trees have very shallow root systems.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:44:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

What can one do to prevent a shallow root system ?

Anybody ?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Unfortinately, not much. Since Florida generally gets so much rain, the trees have little reason to dig deep to find water.

Throw in the fact that the soil here is mostly SAND, and a good hurricane will do this to trees...
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Not much really.    Most trees don't have a 'Tap Root' and most tree roots are shallow, the majority of roots are found in the top 18 inches of soil. Usually, more than 50 percent of a tree’s roots are in the top six inches of soil.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Plus, its rained here so much lately the ground just cant hold the roots. The palm trees dont fall much.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anybody ?

Don't plant magnolias in sand with poor drainage.  That tree is on the edge of a drainage ditch and about three years old.  It looks like it was lifted with a spatula.

I also saw a live oak that crushed a house two houses from my best friend's. Would've been a great pic - but my battery died.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top