Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2004 12:56:04 PM EDT
I have a question for you guys.
I built my first lower last week (thanks to you guys) and bought a 22 upper from a fellow member.
I was going to wait until the weekend after the AWB goes away and buy a pre-ban .223 upper for it.
That was all well and good until I realized that I meet the requirements to buy a Garand from the CMP.

Should I buy the upper or go for the Garand?
The only Garand I have ever owned was a "Tanker" which was a complete piece of crap.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the Garand.....

Sell the tanker, and buy a upper
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:05:35 PM EDT
[#2]
you need both.  period.

i had this same dilemma and after much thought decided to go with the upper................keep in mind i'm buying ANOTHER CMP garand as soon as i can after the upper though
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a similar decision.  Garand or build a FAL with the austrian parts kit in my closet.  It's a pain to decide, but I enjoy the fact that i'll have a choice!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Get both.......

Man, hard decision to make, BUT you will not go worng with either one....

Psssssssst, GARAND....
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:12:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I was in a similar situation 'cept I buillt my first lower about 18 months ago.  I went ahead and bought a RRA upper for it and then later went for a H&R Service Grade Garand. (Just got it a couple weeks ago.) If I was to do it over again, I might get one of those Greek Rack Grade garands ($295, IIRC) and refurb it with a .308 barrel.  With the lower cost of the Greek Garand, you might be able to ...
(drum roll, please)--> GET BOTH!

You could buy refurb parts for your Garand as time/money permits and you'd have a nice new Evil Rifle to shoot in the meantime.

After I finished my lower, I could not wait to get the upper... If I had only enough $$$ for one of the above, I'd get the upper...although the Garand is an ultracool weapon to have.  Which weapon do you think you'd have the most fun with?

Actually, though, I don't think you can make a bad choice. Either  (or both) will be lots of fun.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:00:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Garand; it'll have history that a new upper wont have.
YMMV
M
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:05:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Gotta get the upper before the Dummycraps rush another AWB into place.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#8]
You won't lose either way since you WILL end up with both eventually!

A Garand is a real blast.  It's one of the few rifles I'm truly attached to.  There's something magical about all that walnut and forged steel that the AR does not have.

On the other hand, I'd be concerned about another AWB in the near future depending on the outcome of the elections.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:00:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Get the Garand.  It's a piece of history that won't be available forever.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:07:18 PM EDT
[#10]
If you're going to get one, get the AR. The Garand has zero evil features according to the anti-gunners, ie extended mag, flash hider etc. The Garand will always more or less be available in the future. Personally, for me the Garand is a real kick to shoot, and I wouldn't feel under-armed if I had a Garand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top