Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2004 11:08:32 AM EDT
From what I understand, this is due to the passage of the Campaign Finance Reform Bill.  What's gives with this?  We're trying establish democracy in the Middle East buy our politicos are taking away FREE SPEECH here in the US?  Uh, what happened to the 1st Amendment?  What are our reps thinking passing something like this?  Is there anyway this can be overturned?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:25:13 AM EDT
[#1]
shows you what a douche mccain is, eh.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:25:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I could be wrong but I don't believe that any advertisement can mention a candidate by name from this point to the general election

Here's one for the 1'st Amendment
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

you got that right

Granted the guy has paid his dues, but he still carries a chip on his shoulder for the pasting W put on him 4 years ago- and does so at the expense of his party and the greater good

Get the fuck over it Jmc!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:31:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

shows you what a douche president Bush is too ...

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:45:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

shows you what a douche president Bush is too....

Shows you what most politicians are capable of....
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#6]
What the hell does that piece of legislation accomplish other than making Americans STFU at a time when they should be able to voice their opinions at a critcial time?  I swear, sometimes I wonder what the hell our elected people are thinking?  Are they retarded or something?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:58:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
From what I understand, this is due to the passage of the Campaign Finance Reform Bill.  What's gives with this?  We're trying establish democracy in the Middle East buy our politicos are taking away FREE SPEECH here in the US?  Uh, what happened to the 1st Amendment?  What are our reps thinking passing something like this?  Is there anyway this can be overturned?

That's not the worst of it.

Groups like Moveon.org and the Media Fund are not restricted by this legislation.  They can keep on putting out anti-bush commercials.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:59:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I swear, sometimes I wonder what the hell our elected people are thinking?  Are they retarded or something?

No, just self-serving.

The object for incumbents is to stay elected at any cost.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:00:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Groups like Moveon.org and the Media Fund are not restricted by this legislation.  They can keep on putting out anti-bush commercials.

So, what makes these bastards (Moveon.org) different from the NRA and other rights groups?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Personally I think that was a Huge miscalculation on GWs part and has Nothing
to do with what he thinks about it.   If he vetoes it he gives a big opening to
the other side that the media would have used to paint his ass green.  He signed it
knowing it would end up in the Supreme Court.... and since it's such a no-brainer that
it violates the 1st Amendment he was gambling it would be ruled out.  The PROBLEM
here is that the Supreme Court has lost it's collective mind !   They have gone on record
that they will use "World opinion and foreign law" in their future decisions.... not,  I repeat NOT
restrict themselves to American Constitutional records.
 Those fuckers in congress need to get their asses in gear and exercise oversight on
the Court instead of abdicating responsibility (like they do with the EPA, OSHA, etc,etc,etc...)

Oh, this is besides the fact that I thought he should have been using the veto pen and
tossing that shit back into the faces of  Teddy-boy, Hillary,Leahey ,Snow ,Feingold and John
respectmeimawarhero Mccain !

McCain's a piece of trash hothead that does not deserve the office. I sent him a letter way back when they were beginning the dismantling and rape of the tobacco industry. The snotty letter I got back told me everything I needed to know about him then and I just wish the people in AZ would wise up enough to toss his ass.

rip
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you got that right

Granted the guy has paid his dues, but he still carries a chip on his shoulder for the pasting W put on him 4 years ago- and does so at the expense of his party and the greater good

Get the fuck over it Jmc!

+1

And nobody here will run against him...But i did write my own name on the ballot for spite
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#12]
My understanding is that no political advertisement by these groups can mention a candidate by name, but they can run issue oriented ads.

However, they CAN spend money on candidate ads with money raised directly from donations by individuals, just not groups.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Shows you what most politicians are capable of....

+1
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, what makes these bastards (Moveon.org) different from the NRA and other rights groups?

The 527 groups are exempt from the Canpaign Finance Reform Bill.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:04:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Actually, the NRA will most likely continue to make political commentary because they started their own news radio station in anticipation of this.  Technically, I think its supposed to prevent everyone (including you and me) except for "Legitimate news sources" from engaging in free speech xx days prior to the election.

Unfortunately, that doesn't even address the constitutionality of the law...
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#16]
There is a way around everything!
www.nranews.com
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:11:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If GWB hadn't stepped on McCain in SC back in 2000, we probably wouldn't have an AWB Sunset to look forward to.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#18]
After this abomination was passed by SCOTUS they started doing seminars on it for pols.

I read an in-depth report on one of them.  They pols were laughing and joking around until they found out that a A LOT of the way that they did fundraising in the past would get them Felony convictions now.  They got REAL somber REAL quick.  I remember one of them saying "But we didn't know it would do THAT!" about some obscure restriction.

Typical. They lobby and vote for shit not having the slightest idea what it will REALLY do once passed.

I think that one day when we look back on U.S. history this law will be one of the turning points.  The first time that SCOTUS said, "We can restrict the First Amendment if it's in the compelling interest of Government to do so."

If they can do this, they've set a precident for doing it again next time something like this comes up.

It frankly scares the ever-loving shit out of me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:47:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

always capitalize the "P" in President when referring to the leader of the free world.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:48:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
There is a way around everything!
www.nranews.com

the problem with this is its just preaching to the choir.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If GWB hadn't stepped on McCain in SC back in 2000, we probably wouldn't have an AWB Sunset to look forward to.

gee that makes it all better

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just the facts, mam

The 527 groups are exempt from the Canpaign Finance Reform Bill.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I call BS on that statement.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:51:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Sounds like something on the menu in a french restaurant.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top