Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2004 8:51:41 AM EDT
Regular old charcoal grilling is getting boring and doesn't have nearly the same flavor... I want to expand my horizons

(I figure now that Summers over stores will be trying to clear their inventory).

What should I look for in a smoker? (I know there're different types). I don't need any thing huge or ridiculously expensive... the simpler the better.

Any tips/methods on using it/setting it up, getting started?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to have one that I got for $40 from home depot.  It served me well until I moved into my apartment (no room for it).  The setup is simple: put the legs on the bottom, stand the body up on top of the bottom, there you go.  If you can put together an ar15 it's 100% more simple to put together a smoker.

Marinate a whole chicken, wrap it up in foil and throw it on there all day [homersimpson] mmmm poultry .... [/homersimpson]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Tagged.

I too, have been considering buying a smoker, I have been researching the S/S Bradley unit thus far, which appears to have decent reviews. I was planning on launching a query to TRG for his opinion but, it would seem he is off on an aquarium expedition.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Are we talking smokers like this:

Smokers like this:

Or smokers like this:

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:53:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#6]
If you already own a "Weber" grill or similar you could try what I did.

I bought one of those little single electric burner hot plates from Walmart $9.99
I then enlarged one of the vent holes at the bottom of the grill to be able to
pass the electric cord plug through.

You place the burner at the bottom of the grill and place a small old cast iron
skillet on top. Then set the temp low/med/high and place wood chips in the fry pan.

Like cyanide said, electric is easier becouse heat stays constant and you don't
have to watch the grill so closely.

I've smoked fish in the winter doing this and the grill maintained a constant 200deg
temp.

The nice thing about this is you can use the same grill for both types of cooking
and not have another cooker taking up space on the porch. Something to consider?

GM

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you already own a "Weber" grill or similar you could try what I did.

I bought one of those little single electric burner hot plates from Walmart $9.99
I then enlarged one of the vent holes at the bottom of the grill to be able to
pass the electric cord plug through.

You place the burner at the bottom of the grill and place a small old cast iron
skillet on top. Then set the temp low/med/high and place wood chips in the fry pan.

Like cyanide said, electric is easier becouse heat stays constant and you don't
have to watch the grill so closely.

I've smoked fish in the winter doing this and the grill maintained a constant 200deg
temp.

The nice thing about this is you can use the same grill for both types of cooking
and not have another cooker taking up space on the porch. Something to consider?

GM

man, now you went and gave me an easy and cheap way to do it.  I have been kicking it around but always came back to "it's just another thing taking up space."  but now I can have two for one.  you sir, suck.  thank you for the idea.  I have heard of the hot plate idea, but didn't give it much thought. I trust the word of Arfcom though, so now I must try this.  I was kidding about the sucking stuff, just so you know.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Aluminum little chief smokers suck, get at least a brinkmann
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I was looking at a few at Home Depot (not much to choose from).

I was originally thinking of getting a non-electric one, but after reading some of the posts here (and Googling a few things), it looks like an electric one is the best way to go. (the home made Weber idea sounds like an option).

www.charbroil.com/smokers/h2o_smokers.asp

If I really want to jump in headfirst there's aways this option

Brinkmann 30" Super Roadmaster Smoker/Grill

(Dinner pics to follow).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top