Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/5/2004 8:02:46 AM EDT
Well?

Personally, I want to carry openly more than concealedly.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:05:16 AM EDT
[#1]
CC gives you a great advantage. I think open would make it too easy for someone to do a gun grab.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:05:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I actually prefer open carry.  I do not find seeing people carrying guns in the least bit scary and its FAR more comfortable to wear.

A gun grab is not a reasonalbe threat unless you are wrestling with someone.   Arizona is a semi-open carry state. The CCW law preempts all local laws, but cities are still allowed to ban open carry.  I carry open all the time when I am out here where I live, and on the road, but going into malls or grocery stores is not a good idea.

Prescott (which has Gunsite outside it) is the largest town that lets open carry pass.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:06:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I prefer concealed. I don't like to let anybody know where my gun is . Also I don't want the BG to know I have one until I want them to know. When I'm camping however I go open carry. Take care. Coondog
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I prefer the subilties of concealment.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Both.  Open when I want.  Concealed when I want.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Concealed - tactical advantage.

I carry open at the range, when camping, hiking, etc....when the threats are things like animals and paper targets.

I carry concealed the rest of the time...no ones business how prepared I am until they NEED to find out the hard way.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:22:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Concealed... but there's something cool about walking around with the gun out, spare mags on the other side, when taking a shooting class.

Ehh, still prefer concealed.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:52:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Well being that I can only open carry I have to say concealed would be my preferance. Well technicly I can't carry concealed. I'm willing to risk the misda depending on why I'm packing(now if ya get busted it's basicly up to a judge to make the determination of if you had a resonable need to be packing). Last time I went out to take some night photos by the lake I packed concealed. I had upwords of $5k in equipment with me, and there had been some armed robbery problems in the area in the weeks before I went out. I prefer CCW because honestly if I want somone to know I'm armed, they'll be no if ands or buts about it, cuz I'll be caryin' an AR and you can't miss that. If I got a pistol I don't want people to see it, or know I have it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:57:51 AM EDT
[#9]
open and/or concealed at my discretion
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#11]
WHO THE HELL VOTED FOR THE THIRD OPTION?!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:35:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Concealed all the way, open carry may be good when your in the country, but heres theres so many people bumping into eachother here it could be stolen or grabbed and used against you.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:54:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Depends.  They're not quite mirrors of each other.

Concealed carry:
Tactical: The advantage of surprise.
Tactical: The disadvantage of a slightly slower draw (depending on differences in retention measures).
Political: For most states, having a higher portion of people obtain permits is a good thing.
Political: People who aren't used to guns, don't get more used to guns.

Open carry:
Tactical: The advantage of deterrence (without breaking state law/brandishing/unlawful use of a weapon).
Tactical: The advantage of a slightly faster draw (depending on differences in retention measures).
Tactical: The disadvantage of being obviously armed (OTOH, all uniformed cops have that as well).
Political: People who aren't used to guns are exposed to them.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:59:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

[b/]+1

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Choice is a good thing.

In Virginia I can do both.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:59:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Same here. During the summer I probably carry open about 60% of the time. In the cooler months its about 90% concealed.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:00:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I cant open carry here.  I always worry my gun is showing whencarrying conceled.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:14:14 AM EDT
[#18]
don't want to draw attention to myself for any reason.

ETA:  well except on this board where i am a shameless attention whore  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#19]
I prefer mine unloaded and locked in a case that surrounds the entire weapon, per state law.
but if we are off the record, I live in a moderate crime city southwest of chicago, and do tend to take a firearm on my person at night.  so my answer is obviously concealed.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Open when at work, but concealed any other time
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I actually prefer open carry.  I do not find seeing people carrying guns in the least bit scary and its FAR more comfortable to wear.

A gun grab is not a reasonalbe threat unless you are wrestling with someone.   Arizona is a semi-open carry state. The CCW law preempts all local laws, but cities are still allowed to ban open carry.  I carry open all the time when I am out here where I live, and on the road, but going into malls or grocery stores is not a good idea.

Prescott (which has Gunsite outside it) is the largest town that lets open carry pass.

*cough* bullshit *cough*

Got links to any sources on that assertion? I've carried openly in Phoenix, Mesa, and Gilbert with no problems so far.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:21:34 PM EDT
[#22]
I would love both.  I have a CHL bit would love an open carry option so I wouldn't have to worry about the unintentional flash or printing of concealed.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:26:17 PM EDT
[#23]
"An armed society is a polite society."  Thanks to whoever said that.
I think folks would be much less inclined to bang shoulders on the sidewalk if everyone was open packing.

Open is much more comfortable than IWB.  Which really isn't a prob, but open is less so.

I say <open packing> because that other word sounds like a dirtbag that's running for President.

Crap forgot to vote...  I'll vote for <open>.

EDIT:  there's 4 people that need to be banned!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:33:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Open. At my age, it's all I can legally do! (But I've yet to do it any time other than hunting.)
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Folks need to open carry when they can IF they are comfortable doing so.

The sheeple don't know you can do this, if they see you carrying and ask why and you respond "Becuase it's legal to" they will probably respond "Oh, cool.  Didn't know that."

And you have helped desensitize one more against the "all guns are bad" idea.

I really think if more people knew they could open carry, they would.  But the cops and the municipalities rarely if ever go around advertising your rights beyond what they are REQUIRED to tell you (Miranda+)
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:38:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I prefer concealed. I don't like to let anybody know where my gun is . Also I don't want the BG to know I have one until I want them to know.  

agreed 100%
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:52:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I prefer concealed. I don't like to let anybody know where my gun is . Also I don't want the BG to know I have one until I want them to know.  

agreed 100%

+1
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Well being that I can only open carry I have to say concealed would be my preferance. Well technicly I can't carry concealed. I'm willing to risk the misda depending on why I'm packing(now if ya get busted it's basicly up to a judge to make the determination of if you had a resonable need to be packing). Last time I went out to take some night photos by the lake I packed concealed. I had upwords of $5k in equipment with me, and there had been some armed robbery problems in the area in the weeks before I went out. I prefer CCW because honestly if I want somone to know I'm armed, they'll be no if ands or buts about it, cuz I'll be caryin' an AR and you can't miss that. If I got a pistol I don't want people to see it, or know I have it.

+1

Same state, same reasons...
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#29]
I carry open in the country and concealed in the city.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Both have their value, and disadvantages.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Robert Heinlein said " An armed society is a polite society". I forget which book it was but it possibly was "Beyond This Tomorrow". In the book you had your choice to carry a weapon or not. If you chose to carry you had to mind your manners. Dueling was legal. Insult the wrong person and you could be called out. If you chose not to carry you had to wear an armband. This meant that you were unarmed and were ... well you figure it out. Actually a good book. It took place in the future. I forget exactly what type of weapon was normally carried but it was not a firearm. The hero of the story was given an antigue firearm...a 1911 Colt auto. He found the muzzle blast to be very distracting to his opponent. Hell of a good gunbattle at the end of the book.  Then again it could be called "Beyond This Horizon". Guy wrote so many books it's hard to remember which one is which. I'll have to find which one is which. BTW, I would prefer to have the choice, but here it's concealed unless yu are hunting or fishing.
Just checked. It's "Beyond This Horizon".
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:36:05 PM EDT
[#32]
A little of each, depends on the location and surrondings, concealed 95% of the time.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:39:14 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

agreed 100%

+1

just to add, i would like the choice though
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:44:17 PM EDT
[#34]
I like the surprise factor
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Even in the old west, they preferred concealed carry when in town.  When you carry a gun, you keep the advantage if a potential assailant doesn't know you're armed.  You also make yourself a target when you carry openly for someone wanting to steal a gun.  I always carry concealed whenever possible.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I cant open carry here.  I always worry my gun is showing whencarrying conceled.

Why can't you open carry?

The only time i have open carried so far is when i'm going out to the range.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:09:02 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

If you have a Georgia license, you can carry open or concealed.  It is not a CCW per se, it is a license to carry a firearm, open or concealed.

It is a little confusing.  First they state this:

16-11-126.

(a) A person commits the offense of carrying a concealed weapon when
 such person knowingly has or carries about his or her person, unless
 in an open manner and fully exposed to view,
any bludgeon, metal
 knuckles, firearm, knife designed for the purpose of offense and
 defense, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of
 like character outside of his or her home or place of business,
 except as permitted under this Code section.

16-11-126

which sounds like open carry without a license is legal, but then they say this:

16-11-128.

(a) A person commits the offense of carrying a pistol without a
 license when he has or carries on or about his person, outside of
 his home, motor vehicle, or place of business, any pistol or
 revolver without having on his person a valid license issued by the
 judge of the probate court of the county in which he resides,
 provided that no permit shall be required for persons with a valid
 hunting or fishing license on their person or for persons not
 required by law to have hunting licenses who are engaged in legal
 hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the persons have the
 permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are
 being conducted; provided, further, that the pistol or revolver,
 whenever loaded, shall be carried only in an open and fully exposed
 manner.

16-11-128

Which means you have to have a license either way.  It does say that if you have a hunting license (or are exempt from having to have a hunting license....who the hell would that be?) and are engaged in hunting, you can open carry.

Some cops I have met are under the impression that you can open carry without a license, others have said that the license does not allow concealed carry, so some don't even understand the fucking laws they must enforce.

I have spent a great deal of time on the phone with the Georgia Attorney General's office to find out what the law really means and they say that it is just as I understand it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that on the way to the range?  If you do not have a Georgia license, you best not be carrying it on your person except to and from the car.  If you are in your car, you can have it on the seat, in the glovebox, or in the console without a license.  In a holster is a no-no without a license.  See above post.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#39]
I prefer concealed carry without a legal penalty for open carry.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#40]

but cities are still allowed to ban open carry

Umm.....as far as I understand it the closest "law" to that is the usual "no guns in city parks" rule like in Tucson.  The State leg passed a law preempting local govs from passing law forbiding the carry of firearms in parks by CCW holders.

The law does not say you have to carry concelaed though.

That preemption law is a far cry from allowing local govs to regulate open carry WITHEN a city UNLESS it is city parks/bldgs.  

Please cite the law allowing cities to ban open carry in Az.

Thanks

Biggame223

Out
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Concealed. I love the element of surprise.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Open makes you number one on the target list.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:57:20 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that on the way to the range?  If you do not have a Georgia license, you best not be carrying it on your person except to and from the car.  If you are in your car, you can have it on the seat, in the glovebox, or in the console without a license.  In a holster is a no-no without a license.  See above post.

Yes,  i do have a permit.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes,  i do have a permit.

Okay, nevermind.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Open makes you number one on the target list.

What target would that be, if im carring open"in TN i can" im also carriying concealed at the same time, if you think you have disarmed me "too fucking bad for you" SUPRISE SUPRISE SUPRISE!!
Edited for above posts i do have permit for open or concealed carry.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#46]
I prefer open carry.  There is no better deterent!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I prefer open carry.  There is no better deterent!

+1 Open more than not for me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#48]
In Colorado, if you have a CHL, you aren't allowed to open carry.

Pretty bizarre, I wonder if that rule will ever get changed.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Open. At my age, it's all I can legally do! (But I've yet to do it any time other than hunting.)

+1... but in all practical terms, its knife or unarmed for me, cause I come in contact with way too many sheep and have to pass through too many "gun free/victim disarmament" zones in a normal day... I m NEVER without a knife though.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Robert Heinlein said " An armed society is a polite society"...

Thanks yankee56.  I've never read either book - just it's a darn good quote.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top