Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2004 7:31:42 AM EDT
What combination of civilian rifle and scope best approximates the rifle(s) utilized by U.S. military snipers?

Please provide all info available: Scope zoom ranges (if any), calibers, etc.

Resulting arrangement should be just as if not more accurate and durable as the military version.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:34:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Remington 700PSS

You'll find more than you want to know in the precision rifles forum on this site.

www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=5

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:35:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Remington 700PSS

You'll find more than you want to know in the precision rifles forum on this site.

x2

I think the Remmy 700 is pretty much the de facto US sniper rifle both LE and military
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:36:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you interested in identical performance (given that the shooter is just as capable) or are you looking to collect a rifle to hang on the wall and say "that's identical to the one the navy seals use"?

It's an important distinction and could cost or save you quite a bit of money.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:40:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Are you interested in identical performance (given that the shooter is just as capable) or are you looking to collect a rifle to hang on the wall and say "that's identical to the one the navy seals use"?

It's an important distinction and could cost or save you quite a bit of money.

Even if I do hang it on the wall, I still want it to be able to shoot to the appropriate level. Otherwise, I'd buy an airsoft!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:41:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Remington 700PSS

Thanks. Never even been over there!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:42:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Remington 700PSS

Goddamn this place is like Christmas! Every time I sit down and surf on over I find something new.....

Now to just get paid so i can go on Active Duty instead of just the Reserve team.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:44:36 AM EDT
[#7]
WOW! What a question! You relize there will probably be 1000 different variations. Are you talking our military? Standard bolt gun or Barrett .50? Is price an obstacle ?I've been out of the picture for awhile so I don't know what exactly everybody is using short of the Army using M-24s. I don't even know if the Marines are still using M-40s or not. So why did I respond to this thread? I love sniper rifles and have 3 if you include my Remington Sendaro in .300 Ultra-Mag w/laminated stock. The other 2 are a Rem.PSS in .308 and a Savage 110 in .308 in a Choate "Sniper"stock. Oh I almost forgot I also have a Bushy varmit w/24" topped with Leupy tact and back up iron's . All these guns are sub-moa guns when I do my part.Take care. Coondog  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:53:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Steyr SSG

Check this out:
sniper rifles
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:59:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Just curious, but if you want to get *as close* as possible to say an M40A3, then why not just buy an M40A3? Cost is up there sure... but if that is what you want?

If you are just trying to build a good COTS rifle, then I have to recommend my personal favorite, dollar for dollar it is tough to beat -- Savage Tactical .308 with the new trigger and factory McMillan stock (10FP-LE2B), pull it apart and cut the barrel back to 20", add the cheek piece adjustment to the stock and get everything bedded in good.

Get a good scope mount (I like the Farrell mount) and put some good glass on it... IOR is nice, I recently put a Nikon Tactical on a rifle and REALLY like it!

Anyway, that is a tack driver little package... all done and in a new drag bag for under 2K. hard to beat!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:08:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Remington 700 Police .308 with Leupold Mark 4 10x40mm M3.  Thats a really good set up and fairly close to most military and LE rifles.

The Army uses the M24 (the 700P's bigger brother).  Uses a adjustable LOP HS Stock instead of the fixed, and it has a 5r Milspec barrel (11.25" twist instead of 12").  Heavy, heavy barrel.  Same scope.  M24 is very, VERY accurate.  1/2 MOA at 300yds.  

Most LE try to replicate that with the 700P.  So buy a 700P in .308 and get something like this, M24's sniper scope.  Combined that with a Harris bipod and you should have a pretty effective set up.  

The Marines use the M40A3.  A little more advanced than the M24 but not as good of shooter.  Uses McMillan A4 stock which is fully adjustable.  

.308 is the standard caliber.  .300Win is you want to reach out a little farther.  Most Mil/LE use the .308.  Its a good all around caliber.  

Then you get into the .50's.  I don't know too much about them except that the Barret's are pretty damn good and accurate.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#11]
This is what ye seek……Armalon PR… Remington 700 based rifle

www.armalon.com/pr.shtml

ANdy
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:32:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:42:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Not sure exactly what you are looking for with the post? You want to try to duplicate a M24 or M40A3 -- but not actually just buy the real deal? Are you trying to get *close* to the real deal but keep the cost down?  ?   ?        
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The Marines use the M40A3.  A little more advanced than the M24 but not as good of shooter.  Uses McMillan A4 stock which is fully adjustable.  

That is very debatable.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:23:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is very debatable.

Very very debatable.

Sorry if the pic is a little dark or a little small. Got to get a better one sometime soon.

Up front on the barrel, thats a 4 railed AR gas block, it's for the front BUIS. It also has served as an attachment point for a laser when we were screwing around one day. Even with the laser on there was no shift in POI we actually were able to get the laser sighted in. Also screwed around and hung an M6 on it that was funny looking as shit too but it stayed on and again there was no POI shift from what we could tell. I had also talked to somone about actually putting an LRF into the gun. I may still do that one of these days but don;t know for sure if I still really want to do that.

The best I'm good for right now is 3/4 MOA(5 shot). I've gotten 1/2MOA(5 shot)with this gun on a couple occasions but not nearly enough and not consitantly enough to say I can shoot 1/2 MOA groups with this gun.

Barrel is a #10MTU from Krieger, no fluting, no taper other than factory. Didn't have it lightened up in any way or anything, It's a heavy barrel thats for sure(heavier than an M24's). I can put 20rds through it in a fairly quick amount of time and the barrel will be comfortably warm to the touch. Stock is an A4 McMillan. I like this stock. I wish I would have know about the A5 though as I think I would have went with one of those instead. The biggest differance from my understanding is in the forend of the stock. The A4 is more blocky than the A5 is. I still like the A4 though. Very comfortable. Scope is a I.O.R 4-14x50AO ill MP8 ret. I love the scope. It's adjustments are 1/2MOA clicks. The retical has full and half mil marks as well as a 5 and 10 mil mark. Even with all that I don't find it cluttered. Also the retical is on the first focal plain. The glass is nice and clear and sharp. And the thing is built like a tank.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:37:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is very debatable.

I'd pick a M24 over a M40 in accuracy any day of the week.  Comfort...maybe not though.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:43:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is very debatable.

I'd pick a M24 over a M40 in accuracy any day of the week.  Comfort...maybe not though.  

Have you shot either one?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Get DD Ross to build you an M40A3...  He helps to build them for the USMC....
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Why try to recreate a military rig? Bear in mind a couple of simple facts:
Military rifles are made "one size fits all",hence the stock adjustments, and the occasional piece of sleeping pad taped to the stock (ahem, m-24, ).
most miltary rifles are mass produced (ahem, again ,cough,m-24).
seriously, a Remington PSS is capable of more out of the box accuracy than most shooters can exploit (and rarely do). This, coupled with a decent scope with a BDC (bullet drop compensator),
ought to put you right where you want to be. The leupold long range M3 comes to mind.
And incidentally, don't skimp on a GOOD base and rings.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:08:34 PM EDT
[#20]
For the money Barrett .50
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I wanted to replicate the M-24 without spending the big bucks, and the closest thing I could find was an older Remington 700 PSS model with the 24" barrel rather than the 26" barrel:  manufacture date is November 1993.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Here's a threadjack I'm sure someone can answer pretty quickly.
What does the military do for left handed snipers? Learn to shoot right handed? Or do they have reversable stocks?
tony
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#23]
While you may be able to buy an M-24 from Remington, I'm nearly certain that real M40A3s are made by USMC Precision Weapons Armorers(2112) at Quantico VA. The US Optics scopes that they wear cost around $2500 when you can find one.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:32:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Go over to snipercountry.com and ask around. You can get George Gardner or Iron Brigade Armoury to build you a M40 clone that will shoot just as good as what the US forces use.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Join snipershide.com. Good place to talk of all sniper rifles; especially 700's.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:42:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Buy a stock 700 of your choosing, .308 for economy, buy decent glass - plenty on this indepth out there. Take the money saved, buy the balance in shooting - meaning ammo, time, join or travel to a place where you can shoot at least 600 yds, and most importantly, training. Then spend some more. To shoot consistently, at great distance, the rifle needs to have some minimum level of accuracy. Beyond that shooter dynamics has more influence on accuracy than nearly anything else.

Once you've shot the barrel out, you'll have a reservoir of knowledge to put together what you need. You may be surprised how little it is. Marksmanship is one aspect Zaph, perhaps the least important.

How's the swap goin?

Luck
Alac
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top