Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2004 2:15:58 AM EDT
As a diver, I love all the record setters, but sometimes you gotta wonder about the basics.

Tenn. Man's 5-Day Dive Sets World Record  

September 5, 2004 12:52 AM EDT  

HAMPTON, Tenn. - A Tennessee man beat his own record for staying underwater with scuba gear after five days in a lake - complete with recliner, a checkerboard, music and good friends to keep him company.

Then Jerry Hall cheerfully signed a pledge to his wife never to do it again.

"I had the easy job," Hall said. "It was my dive team that did all the work. I kept them hopping all the time, and they never once complained. Whatever I wanted or needed, they were there for me."

Hall, 39, of Bluff City, Tenn., already is in the current edition of the Guinness World Book of Records for staying underwater with scuba gear for 71 hours, 39 minutes and 40 seconds.

He surpassed that at 9:56 a.m. Wednesday and didn't leave eastern Tennessee's Watauga Lake until Friday morning with a record time of 120 hours, 1 minute and 25 seconds.

"That knot in the pit of my stomach is gone and I'm glad he's all right," said his wife, Vicky Hall.

Hall and his team of 10 divers had been training for this effort for a year.

They used a platform lowered down to 13 feet below the surface. A recliner was harnessed to the dive deck, and Hall napped there for up to four hours at a time. An underwater speaker broadcast music, and Hall passed the hours with a checkerboard made out of an aluminum plate.

"Everybody that came down there to play checkers beat me," Hall said. "I'm giving them up."

During the dive, Hall nibbled on food that was sent down to him, such as apples and candy bars, by temporarily removing his breathing gear. But he relied mostly on water from a pouch-like drinking system used by cyclists and hikers.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:25:19 AM EDT
[#1]
same as the fish!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:54:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Some people have way too much free time.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:58:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Talk about a case of pruny hands
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top