Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 8:56:45 PM EDT
Well the lights finally went out here in Miami, I was already walking around with my SW99 in my fanny pack but decided to unleash my AR-15 and about 10 mags worth of ammo. I wish I had night vision but I figure if someone breaks into the house, it'll be dark for both of us. It's by my side in the house and you know I feel secure. So far just some light wind damage and the lights finally came back on so I can post here. I hope the rest of my Florida brothers fare well....
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Was the whole city affected? My kids and their mother live out near Mikosukee....
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Well after the first few rounds both of you would be blinded anyway!

Stay safe down there!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Stay safe down there!

BigDozer66

I have a Vortex!

Plus, I'm 250 miles north....
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Was the whole city affected? My kids and their mother live out near Mikosukee....

About 1 million people lost power in Miami-Dade, I only lost power for about 7 hours, some places did not lose power and some are still without, go figure.....
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Night vision is on my list. I hear ya.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:04:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Night vision is on my list. I hear ya.

As very little the lights go out here, maybe even a cheap GEN1 monocular would do, just you are surprized how your senses become atuned to the relative quiet outside, but images can be confusing....
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:05:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Stay safe
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:06:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

About 1 million people lost power in Miami-Dade, I only lost power for about 7 hours, some places did not lose power and some are still without, go figure.....

Yep. That's about the size of it.

Whereabouts in Miami are you?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stay safe down there!

BigDozer66

I have a Vortex!

Plus, I'm 250 miles north....

On my little battery powered TV when the lights went out they said Frances made landfall within 20NM of Ft. Pierce....
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. That's about the size of it.

Whereabouts in Miami are you?

About 3 miles southeast of MIA, maybe about 5 miles from Mikosukee, as any place in Miami is safe that would be probably the furthest inland, cause anything after Mikosukee is Everglades....
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those folks are on different circuits dude.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#12]
The local power co. FPL just shuts down grids as they get reports of power lines down or transformers blowing up, when they get a whole lot of reports a whole lot of grids get shut down, I can see their point in keeping live wires out of puddles and highways.....
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Good luck guys!  I lived in Coco Beach a long time back.  Never forgot the size of the bugs, or how flat it was.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#14]
For most of my night encounters around the home, I feel better justified in spending a few hundred bucks on a nice weapon mounted Sure-Fire tac light than a $2500 set of NVG's.

But I'd still love to have a good set of quality Gen3 goggles anyway, even though "Sure-Fire owns the night"!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
For most of my night encounters around the home, I feel better justified in spending a few hundred bucks on a nice weapon mounted Sure-Fire tac light than a $2500 set of NVG's.

But I'd still love to have a good set of quality Gen3 goggles anyway, even though "Sure-Fire owns the night"!

A monocular of the cheap kinfd would be good maybe just for home defense, I can't see spending $2500 for a couple of nights use every couple of years....
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I tried one of those cheapo Night Owls back when I was younger and dumber. I picked it up in late 1999 as a part of my pre-Y2K gear. Man, was I disappointed when I used it that night. What a waste of money. The only way you could even remotely see anything with any detail was within 5 yards and the illuminator on. So I would have better spent my money just getting an extra flashlight. Cheap NVD's are pretty much worthless I have found. And I have a hard time justifying a large expense on NVD's when the imaging tubes have a rather short lifespan.

Damn, would life not be easier if we had the same budget as the DoD? LOL.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:48:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#18]
You gotta couple guys at gun shows down here selling them but you really can't see anything in daylight and thanks for telling me they are crap, maybe one day the prices will come down....
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:53:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Dump the fanny pack for the pistol and pick yourself up a nice open-top leather holster next time.

Unless the shit really hits the fan, I gotta stay concealed, got too many Rosie O'Donell and other million mom march types around  my neighborhood....
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:20:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Dude how are you posting?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:25:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:27:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Dump the fanny pack for the pistol and pick yourself up a nice open-top leather holster next time.

fuck leather, get Kydex!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:34:31 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No lights=no power=no computer?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:38:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:47:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Only 300 rounds?  You're screwed.  I'll pray for you.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:57:14 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:14:30 AM EDT
[#27]
generator I assume?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:18:55 AM EDT
[#28]
All you need is a laptop and dialup.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:19:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:22:51 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

What he said.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:33:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Here in Orlando its getting pretty bad but I still have power (knock on wood).  I have the USP 40 locked and loaded with my AR with 100 rounds loaded in mags and the Girlfriends ar loaded with 500 rounds in mags.  Keep your heads down fellas and girls going out for a recon mission in the neighborhood in a few.

Ungwaha....OUT
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:47:32 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Well the lights finally went out here in Miami, I was already walking around with my SW99 in my fanny pack but decided to unleash my AR-15 and about 10 mags worth of ammo. I wish I had night vision but I figure if someone breaks into the house, it'll be dark for both of us. It's by my side in the house and you know I feel secure. So far just some light wind damage and the lights finally came back on so I can post here. I hope the rest of my Florida brothers fare well....

Is this the post you guys are talking about or a different one in the thread?

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:04:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Just got back from an emergency roof repair of a neighbor. We did our best, I hope it holds up. If there are any looters right now they're on their own unless they knock on my door and ask for money.

ETA: I feel pretty well armed with my 1911 .38. I'm amazed we still have power.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:07:04 AM EDT
[#34]

Believe it or not, there have been a whole lot of looters here in Orlando.  Been listening to the calls on the scanner.  Some guys tried to remove an ATM if you can believe that...

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:09:33 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Believe it or not, there have been a whole lot of looters here in Orlando.  Been listening to the calls on the scanner.  Some guys tried to remove an ATM if you can believe that...

Bigfeet

I would venture a guess that may be why we had so many visitors and they were all in trucks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:22:05 AM EDT
[#36]
hey Bigfeet did ya see the story from St. CLoud last nite about the guy who broke into a supermarket there.  Well,  the rocket scienctist forgot the arlams work until the power goes off.  The St. Cloud PD responded in record time since they have all 3 shifts working and released the K-9 unit.  Fido took a good chunk out of the dumbass.  While they were bringing the perp out on a gurnnie a guy from channel 6 was there with a mic in his face asking "Why did ya do it?"   The responce " I just got kicked out of my house!"

They went inside the store and low and behold latex gloves laying on the floor by the rear door that the perp got in through.

I laid there in bed laughind my ass off!  God I hope they show the story again.

Ungwaha....out

PS.  I just nextelled my friend in Ft. Peirce  he has some roof damage.  ie: no shingles, no tar paper and even missing some decking.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:46:24 AM EDT
[#37]

Still listening, sounds like some flooding from the leftover debris....

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:47:30 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
hey Bigfeet did ya see the story from St. CLoud last nite about the guy who broke into a supermarket there.  Well,  the rocket scienctist forgot the arlams work until the power goes off.  The St. Cloud PD responded in record time since they have all 3 shifts working and released the K-9 unit.  Fido took a good chunk out of the dumbass.  While they were bringing the perp out on a gurnnie a guy from channel 6 was there with a mic in his face asking "Why did ya do it?"   The responce " I just got kicked out of my house!"

They went inside the store and low and behold latex gloves laying on the floor by the rear door that the perp got in through.

I laid there in bed laughind my ass off!  God I hope they show the story again.

Ungwaha....out

PS.  I just nextelled my friend in Ft. Peirce  he has some roof damage.  ie: no shingles, no tar paper and even missing some decking.  

Hey man!  I missed that one.  What a dumbass...

I am glad they got him.  One of the Judges here locally has stated that anyone arrested for looting will not be allowed to post bond!!  Good for him.

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:41:14 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Posted after the lights came back....lights were gone about 7-8 hours, I said that in a previous post....
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:42:28 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Only 300 rounds?  You're screwed.  I'll pray for you.

300 rounds in mags maybe another 2000 ready to answer the call....
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:49:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Just went through all the posts, well 911 was not working, cell phones were hit or miss, very dark when the lights went out, I did not feel afraid or lonely at all when I got my Bushy with about 300 rounds of ammo in mags and my SW 99. You cannot help but feel you are on your own....Still getting wind some small branches broken leaves all over the place some minor flooding but that's it. I am praying for the rest of my Florida brothers to be as lucky as me.....
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:14:03 PM EDT
[#42]

Guys,
Big up tick in looting and burglary here in Orlando...

Boy with a pistol (they did not know if it was semi or full auto) and a group of kids with BB guns

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Lost power here in Ocala about 5 hours ago. (I'm posting with my laptop, BTW). House across the street lost most of the shingles on its roof, and I think my dad's may have lost a few, too.

Damn thing is hovering over Tampa. Wind is pretty calm right now though. If we've seen the worst of it, it wasn't that bad at all. Seeing as it's still SW of here, I'll not get my hopes up.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Over here in West Ft. Lauderdale (Coral Springs), we're pretty much through with the worst of it. We had a pretty easy time - power, phones, and cable worked the whole time. We took a walk around the neighborhood a while ago. There were a few trees knocked down, but almost no damage to homes. A bunch of tree service guys were already going around chopping up the fallen trees.

However, the shutters aren't coming down until Ivan goes past.

Any damage reports from Orlando area?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Been without power since 8 am, rural Alachua County near Gainesville. running on generator. Phone line has been in & out. Not much rain, wind has been unrelenting, numerous large trees down on my property, one large tree top just missed the roof by inches. Listening out the west door I can hear trees cracking, heard and saw numerous ones fall. Tress move in mass like schools of fish changing direction, freaky.

News says they are not sending any crews out of any kind unless it's life threatening. Asked folks to limit water use in the city as a great number of sewage pumping stations are without power, lots of powerlines down, lots of trees down on highways.  Large sinkhole sucked up a portion of I-95 in south FL.

Have 1000 rounds of 9mm and two full auto UZI's and a AR with Gen 1 NV loaded with 62 gr Black Hills HP. Looters shouldn't be an issue here in the country, but I'm loaded for Zombies just in case.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:51:50 PM EDT
[#46]
The worst is over for the lower part of the state but Frances is right now taking her time....
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:49:33 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Have 1000 rounds of 9mm and two full auto UZI's and a AR with Gen 1 NV loaded with 62 gr Black Hills HP. Looters shouldn't be an issue here in the country, but I'm loaded for Zombies just in case.

I love it....
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:49:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Still no power in Ocala, but the winds have died way down. We have roof damage, including leaks into the interior ceilings. House across the street (all we've seen, as we didn't venture out much) is missing the lion share of its shingles, so they are going to have mongo leakage.

It's still raining, though it's down to a moderate sprinkle now. I can see smaller branchaes blown off the trees all over the street. No trees down as far as I can see, but I've had reports that there ARE trees down all over the place.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top