Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2004 8:52:00 PM EDT
This past week has most certainly been Russia's "9/11"... First the downing of two commercial airliners, then the bombing of the subway station in Moscow, and of course the unspeakable horror of the grade school massacre.

So... how will the Russian Bear respond??? Forced relocation & internment camps for all Muslims? A massive display of conventional military might? Something a bit less "conventional" perhaps? Will they go nuclear in an unambiguous display of raw power & vengence?

Personally, I don't have a clue how they will respond (I have my hopes, however), & I am interested in what the ARFCOM brain trust thinks.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:57:24 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am interested in what the ARFCOM brain trust thinks.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it will be harsh, the harsher the better.

Then the world may get off our ass for being "too tough" on the religon of peace.

We handled ours with kid gloves, I am hoping the russians don't.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Forced relocation & internment camps for all Muslims?

no chance

Quoted:

Something a bit less "conventional" perhaps? Will they go nuclear in an unambiguous display of raw power & vengence?

no chance

Quoted:

A massive display of conventional military might?

this is the most likely scenario.  i'm sure they will hit chechnya hard, very hard.  i would like to see them go outside chech. though, to the countries where the 'arab terrorists' came from. i'm not sure if they will though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Children... O.K. so NOW it's innocent children.
Islamic people everywhere, guilty and innocent, will soon bear the world's anger and outrage. All because of a very small minority of fundamentalist "Child Killers". I wonder if ALLAH would approve of the killing of HIS innocent children? The dead terrorists are probably burning in Hell about now. Oh and about those promised virgins... in Hell YOU are the virgin! Bend over babykiller!!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, since they don't have any B-52's, I guess that rules out large scale carpet bombing. How many bombs can their old TU-95 Bear haul? If enough, that gets my vote.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:43:14 PM EDT
[#6]
It’s my understanding that the Russians used FAEs' (Fuel-Air Explosives) against the Chechens in the 1990s'.

Here is to a liberal application of the same in the new century!

Burn fuckers… BURN!!!

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Hopefully they do all the things that we can't mention on this forum.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:05:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well, since they don't have any B-52's, I guess that rules out large scale carpet bombing. How many bombs can their old TU-95 Bear haul? If enough, that gets my vote.

The Tu-95 Bear-A variant could carry about 45,000lbs of bombs, but those are all gone. Been coverted to trainer variants for the cruise-missle and anti-sub force. But the Russians do have assloads of Su-24 Fencers, (sorta their version of the F-111), which can carry about 16,000 pounds (max).

But come on, we are talking Russia. They don't have to get into the cities, just within artillery range. The Russians have PLENTY of 122mm and 152mm artillery, not to mention their rocket systems. They can flatten any city they want.

I bet the response will be more restrained then many here predict, but the Russian army still has quite a bit of 'bang' to it, should they need to use it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:06:04 PM EDT
[#9]
They will do NOTHING !
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:07:29 PM EDT
[#10]

It was just announced today that Putin locked down the borders.

Let the house-cleaning begin!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:13:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Do you remember what Putin's job was before he was elected to office?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
They will do NOTHING !

Putin, I don't know.  But good old Joseph Stalin.  Now that man knew how to get rid of folks he didn't like.  And we, didn't or couldn't do a damn thing about it.

I just hope the Russians never forget, because we sure have.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yea, head of KGB.  He was a black ops guy field guy too, but I don't think that will happen.  Remember, they didn't even support us in our war on terrorists.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:19:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, head of KGB.  He was a black ops guy field guy too, but I don't think that will happen.  Remember, they didn't even support us in our war on terrorists.

Correct.

This isn't America's war, as they see it.  This is now their war.  Putin has a few things up his sleeve.  Give things a week at most to start rolling.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

@ Twice the load of a B-52 IIRC

ANdy
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:24:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They will do NOTHING !

Putin, I don't know.  But good old Joseph Stalin.  Now that man knew how to get rid of folks he didn't like.  And we, didn't or couldn't do a damn thing about it.

I just hope the Russians never forget, because we sure have.

Joe Stalin had all the Chechens deported to Kazakstan after WWII for collaborating with the Germans… he killed something like 25% of them.

ANdy
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

@ Twice the load of a B-52 IIRC

ANdy

Err, less than half the load of a B-52H. The Bear series has great endurance, but heavy-bomber plans never really panned out due to structural problems.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:43:53 PM EDT
[#19]
How will they?  Who knows?

How should they?  With a ferocity that can only be matched by the US military, directed at the appropriate targets, of course.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:27:42 AM EDT
[#20]
THIS is tough talk:

With families gathering for wakes for the dead Saturday, some were vowing vengeance.

"Fathers will bury their children, and after 40 days [the Orthodox mourning period] ... they will take up weapons and seek revenge," said Alan Kargiyev, a 20-year-old university student in Vladikavkaz.

This is NOT tough talk:

Putin took a defiant tone, acknowledging Russia's weaknesses but blaming it on the fall of the Soviet Union, foreign foes seeking to tear apart Russia and on corrupt officials. He said Russians could no longer live "carefree" and must all confront terrorism.

"Measures would be taken, Putin promised, to overhaul the law enforcement organs, which he acknowledged had been infected by corruption, and tighten borders.

"We are obliged to create a much more effective security system and to demand action from our law enforcement organs that would be adequate to the level and scale of the new threats," he said.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:30:58 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Putin has a few things up his sleeve.  Give things a week at most to start rolling.

Lets hope we wont try to squelch their efforts.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:16:38 AM EDT
[#22]
will the French chastise the Russians for not consulting the UN on what to do?

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:06:47 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
will the French chastise the Russians for not consulting the UN on what to do?

Three simple words.

F*** THE FRENCH
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:28:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:38:53 AM EDT
[#25]
I agree with the Hun on this one, President Putin has a pretty big set,  or at least he acts like it. I do think he will let this B.S slide, blood will spill!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:45:31 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
It’s my understanding that the Russians used FAEs' (Fuel-Air Explosives) against the Chechens in the 1990s'.

Here is to a liberal application of the same in the new century!

Burn fuckers… BURN!!!

[Bloodhound Gang]We don't need no water, let the motherfucker burn...burn motherfucker...burn[/Bloodhound Gang]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:02:49 AM EDT
[#27]
I would say the terrorists mesed with the wrong people.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:12:59 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I would say the terrorists mesed with the wrong people.

He's gonna take a page out of GWB Jr's play book, and relenetlessly attack and pursue them. "The best defense is a good offense."
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:13:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Ericthe Hun,

First of all, the Russia is referred to as the "motherland" or "mother Russia" not the fatherland.  Only the Germans refer to their country as the fatherland.

Second of all, refer to my posting above quoting Putin.  He didn't threaten to do anything exccept beef up his internal security forces and bitch about corruption.

Putin took a defiant tone, acknowledging Russia's weaknesses but blaming it on the fall of the Soviet Union, foreign foes seeking to tear apart Russia and on corrupt officials. He said Russians could no longer live "carefree" and must all confront terrorism.

"Measures would be taken, Putin promised, to overhaul the law enforcement organs, which he acknowledged had been infected by corruption, and tighten borders.

"We are obliged to create a much more effective security system and to demand action from our law enforcement organs that would be adequate to the level and scale of the new threats," he said.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Children... O.K. so NOW it's innocent children.
Islamic people everywhere, guilty and innocent, will soon bear the world's anger and outrage. All because of a very small minority of fundamentalist "Child Killers". I wonder if ALLAH would approve of the killing of HIS innocent children? The dead terrorists are probably burning in Hell about now. Oh and about those promised virgins... in Hell YOU are the virgin! Bend over babykiller!!!

The terrorists were raping school children, see page 9 of the memorial thread.  So yes, they did get their virgins before they were slaughtered.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:37:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Russian is difficult to translate directly into English.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:39:40 PM EDT
[#33]
This thread is stalled over whether it's "motherland" or "fatherland".  Ha!

The important point I was making is that Putin has NOT come out strongly or made any strong statements about their response to yet another attoricity by the Islamists.  In fact, I read his words as a clear sign of weakness .  Unless he turns this around, he will not survive another election.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:48:42 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't think that little things like Mosques mean much to the bear. Just my .02
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top