Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2004 6:01:52 PM EDT
God knows I hope this NEVER happens here, and that we never have a terrorist attack akin to 9-11 here ever, but let's say something like what happened in Russia happens here.

Hundreds of children dead, Muslim terrorists implicated, etc.

Do you think, FINALLY, the majority of people here would "get it" regarding radical Islam, and demand our leaders do ANYTHING they saw fit to eradicate it and those countries that support it?

My best friend, who is Jewish and lived in Israel for a time, told me that at some point we will become like Israel if this shit continues.  I wonder.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Go ask the Nepalese...
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the Democrats would blame it on the easy access to assault weapons and demand gun shows and semiautos be banned.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#3]
anti gunners will blame guns and some ACLU lawyer will bitch about something
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:07:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I won't say, the coc has to be followed. Everyone knows what we would want to happen in the event of another massive terrorist attack.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Amongst the general population, a short rise in patriotism, resolve, etc.  Some laws will get passed, someone will get blamed.  Then everyone will return back to their previous life of watching American Idol and such.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:13:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Amongst the general population, a short rise in patriotism, resolve, etc.  Some laws will get passed, someone will get blamed.  Then everyone will return back to their previous life of watching American Idol and such.

+1

No one wants to be bothered...
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Michael Moore shoot a "documentary" blaming Bush and his Haliburton buddies.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:33:55 PM EDT
[#8]
A lot of liberals will say "See what happens when we don't tolerate!?!?"
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
God knows I hope this NEVER happens here, and that we never have a terrorist attack akin to 9-11 here ever, but let's say something like what happened in Russia happens here.

Do you think, FINALLY, the majority of people here would "get it" regarding radical Islam, and demand our leaders do ANYTHING they saw fit to eradicate it and those countries that support it?

My best friend, who is Jewish and lived in Israel for a time, told me that at some point we will become like Israel if this shit continues.  I wonder.

Not again...

This WILL NOT HAPPEN HERE...

PERIOD.

Unless we suddenly grow a domestic separtatist movement, there will be no personal terror here. AQ-proper does not take hostages or use firearms outside of Saudi & Afganhistan (home turf). They blow stuff up. Period.

The reason you see that stuff in Israel, Russia, Colombia, Peru, and Iraq is that the rebels/terrorists LIVE where they ATTACK. It's not confined to Islamic terrorists either, but is rather the MO of separatist terror groups, including the marxist ones in S. America. I know, 2 men who used to attend my church were taken hostage & later killed by FARC while working as missionaries down there. And we all remember when the Peruvian crew held a house full of ambassadors & govt dignitaries hostage...

It's easy to get a 50-100 troops for this sort of operation when your crew lives in the same country you're attacking. It's not so easy when they live across the ocean....

AQ has a distinct MO, they use 5 to 7 man strike teams aimed at high-profile political, economic, and military targets. They allways attack with explosives (jet fuel counts, the 9/11 aircraft were picked for maximum payload), and allways target structures/ships.

Think about it...

Oh, and if it DID happen, and we did what you suggest, we'd have a Chechnya-scale blood feud on our hands...  Remember, this is a civil war, not a terror crusade. It started when Chechnya declared independance, and verything that happened afterwards is directly related to this. Things are as bad as they are because as in Afganhistan, the Russian conscript army is incapable of the sort of discretion that our forces show in Iraq and OUR Afghani operation...

Revenge simply breeds more revenge. Military operations should be logical, cold, and calculated. Russia went into Chechnya to punish & kill, not to win. And because of this, this war will drag on forever, possibly becoming unwinnable for both sides.

When you let war get emotional, you lose control of it, and generally lose...
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I think it's inevitable, and while I don't wish it on anyone or their children, I do think the response would be somewhat different if this were to happen in a place like, say, Brentwood or Hollywood. Somewhere in an anti-gun environment, and an enclave of the wealthy, a place inhabited by people who live in gated communities that are used to believing that the local police would never allow anything worse than a break and enter in their community. And a place that wasn't strictly Jewish (like a school), thus removing the notion anyone may have  that "Sure it happened to their school, but those terrorists know we aren't a threat." Then it might sink in that they were targeted because they are Americans, and for Islamo Fascists, that is enough.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#11]
NO Muslim here in the U.S. would be safe...

There would be scores of retaliation killings, IMHO.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:45:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

And then some pro gun lawyer will fight back - let's stay focused on the problem and not bash lawyers....
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Which translates to US LOSING THE WAR...

Why can't you guys see this....

Fortunately, I believe that the USA is too civilized this. Unlike the Russians, we are capable of restraint even in war.

Even more fortunately, the logistics indicate that NO SUCH ATTACK WILL OCCURR....
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And then some pro gun lawyer will fight back - let's stay focused on the problem and not bash lawyers....

my 2 brother in-laws are lawyers
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

yeah right.

and all the muslims in america went through a genocide after 911.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Go ask the Nepalese...

Thats a big +1
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+1.

Democrats will blame bush, communists will blame guns, some ACLU type will offer to defend the remaining terrorists for free, and the rest of us will forget about the whole thing within a year, as we will have grown numb by then.

To today's average american, war is not war if it doesn't happen in their hometown.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+1.

Democrats will blame bush, communists will blame guns, some ACLU type will offer to defend the remaining terrorists for free, and the rest of us will forget about the whole thing within a year, as we will have grown numb by then.

To today's average american, war is not war if it doesn't happen in their hometown.

<with a heavy sigh>

+1
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:58:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not again...

This WILL NOT HAPPEN HERE...

PERIOD.

Unless we suddenly grow a domestic separtatist movement, there will be no personal terror here. AQ-proper does not take hostages or use firearms outside of Saudi & Afganhistan (home turf). They blow stuff up. Period.

The reason you see that stuff in Israel, Russia, Colombia, Peru, and Iraq is that the rebels/terrorists LIVE where they ATTACK. It's not confined to Islamic terrorists either, but is rather the MO of separatist terror groups, including the marxist ones in S. America. I know, 2 men who used to attend my church were taken hostage & later killed by FARC while working as missionaries down there. And we all remember when the Peruvian crew held a house full of ambassadors & govt dignitaries hostage...

It's easy to get a 50-100 troops for this sort of operation when your crew lives in the same country you're attacking. It's not so easy when they live across the ocean....

AQ has a distinct MO, they use 5 to 7 man strike teams aimed at high-profile political, economic, and military targets. They allways attack with explosives (jet fuel counts, the 9/11 aircraft were picked for maximum payload), and allways target structures/ships.

Think about it...

Oh, and if it DID happen, and we did what you suggest, we'd have a Chechnya-scale blood feud on our hands...  Remember, this is a civil war, not a terror crusade. It started when Chechnya declared independance, and verything that happened afterwards is directly related to this. Things are as bad as they are because as in Afganhistan, the Russian conscript army is incapable of the sort of discretion that our forces show in Iraq and OUR Afghani operation...

Revenge simply breeds more revenge. Military operations should be logical, cold, and calculated. Russia went into Chechnya to punish & kill, not to win. And because of this, this war will drag on forever, possibly becoming unwinnable for both sides.

When you let war get emotional, you lose control of it, and generally lose...

Don't discount it.  It is very possible for something like that to happen here, although not easy.  Don't assume that the enemy won't ever change their tactics or adapt.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#20]
The result would probably be indescribable.

We have a very advanced media in this country that would steep the American public in endless images and soundbites of the event.  Seeing blood-soaked babies being carried out of a massacre in IOWA (Or Chicago or Tampa....) would invoke a seething rage in this country I don't think even Pearl Harbor came close to.

As bad as 9-11 was it DIDN'T leave alot of bodies for the cameras.  We all know those folks died in the attack but, there's a HUGE difference between hearing that 3,000 Americans were killed and seeing the lifeless bodies of 6 year old, blood-soaked girls being dragged out of a play-ground.

At that point I'm guessin' all bets would be off and I "Think' the Islamo-Fascists" know that too.  The Dem's would go "PC" at their peril and it would be a fantastically secure POTUS that wouldn't have 688 boats and other assets showing the world just what the term Super Power meant.

It's one of the reasons I think we HAVEN'T seen this on our soil since.  Following 9-11 Bush retracted the US's "no first strike" policy regarding nukes. The homeland security folks are doing a fine job but we can't even keep illegal aliens from pretty much crossing the border at will to find work.  If the Terr's wanted to shoot-up 10 malls at the same time in ten different cities the "War on terrorism" (As far as physical security) isn't going to stop them.  What we might do (Albeit irrational and knee-jerk to the rest of the world) in the wake of such an attack scares them (IMHO) because they don't know WHAT that might be.

THAT'S as much a reason to vote for Bush as any other BTW as far as I'M concerned.

Anyone who thinks this country would go into an orgy of 'Hand-wringing" following something like what the Russians just experienced just doesn't understand the emotional power those images would evoke in  us.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll add this too in agreement with some of the other guys here.

We would lose 70% of our Muslim population with-in a week.  Not that it would be right or just but mosques would burn and there'd be a L-O-N-G line of tail-lights headed to Canada.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top