Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2004 5:43:48 PM EDT
I have been meaning to ask this question for a while, but recent events prompted an immediate post.

Which states allow CCW in schools?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#1]
not Texas
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:17:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Fl state law prohibits concealed carry on school property.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:21:54 PM EDT
[#4]
UT allows it, In fact, The University of Utah has filed a suit to restrict guns on campus because they think that someone will pull a piece when there are disscussions in classrooms.  Two problems (for the U); There are already CCW holders up there and no one knows who's packing, and they are a state funded school, they have to do what the state senate wants if they want funding.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Not enough.  That's for sure.  My University has a specific prohibition against any weapons.  Of course, it's also a "dry" campus.  Damn Bible Belt.

Woody
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#6]
High schools and the like are taboo in VA.  State colleges are not.  VCU is though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#7]
As long as they don't know about it, all of them do. It's all about that second "C."

ETA www.packing.org
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:37:49 PM EDT
[#8]
no go in SC.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
UT allows it, In fact, The University of Utah has filed a suit to restrict guns on campus because they think that someone will pull a piece when there are disscussions in classrooms.  Two problems (for the U); There are already CCW holders up there and no one knows who's packing, and they are a state funded school, they have to do what the state senate wants if they want funding.

Damn strait
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Not  in TN
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Oregun does.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:23:57 PM EDT
[#12]
OR, UT......anyone else?

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Isn't there a federal law against carrying on school property?

wasn't that rules unconstitutional?

I don't remembert the case, but i read it on here not too long ago...
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:32:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Not allowed in MI.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I think NY has an exception that allows it if the head of the school gives permission. I'll let a legal expert read the law and determine if I'm interpretting it correctly

He knowingly has in his possession a rifle, shotgun or firearm in
or upon a building or grounds, used for educational purposes, of any
school, college or university, except the forestry lands, wherever
located, owned and maintained by the State University of New York
college of environmental science and forestry, without the written
authorization of such educational institution;

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Missouri says no to carrying in schools, and also in churches unless the pastor gives his okey-dokey.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Technically PA allows for carry in K-12 schools for "all lawfully purposes". Higher education is not listed.

Penn State bans it. We are technically not a "state school",  just state associated (other schools in the state get more funding from Harrisburg). This really doesn't bother me. We do have a sexual assault problem, but it happens to women. And every time anybody lists ideas on what potential victims can do to prevent it (lock your doors, carry a weapon, don't go in dark places), the local liberals come out screaming that this is "blaming the victim" (who didn't lock their door or went in dark places) and that carrying a gun is nuts.  So it's not my problem.

Plus I carry a weapon anyway when the mood strikes me. I'd like to pick up a good boot knife for the hot days though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:43:29 PM EDT
[#18]
not Indiana either thats one of the MAJOR no no's here.
One of the few thankfully.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:51:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Even if legal in a few stats, private schools can still prohibit it on their property, so depending on what kind of school you are talking about - it may be more than jsut a a state law issue.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I'm starting to like Utah more and more.  Just keep the hippy/lib crowd from California out will ya.  Utah seems like a nice state the welcomes the Conservative Christians Republican family.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I think NY has an exception that allows it if the head of the school gives permission. I'll let a legal expert read the law and determine if I'm interpretting it correctly

He knowingly has in his possession a rifle, shotgun or firearm in
or upon a building or grounds, used for educational purposes, of any
school, college or university, except the forestry lands, wherever
located, owned and maintained by the State University of New York
college of environmental science and forestry, without the written
authorization of such educational institution;

In NY, we're talking about NY right?

Never heard of it, I've only heard it's a no, no in schools.  You've never seen the gun free zone signs?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:31:58 PM EDT
[#22]
In Colorado, colleges and universities are OK with a CCW, but only employees can carry at elementary schools, middle schools and high schools.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:43:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I carry a knife with me to school even though its against the rules.  And I don't do this, but whos going to bitch if you keep a gun in your car?  And whos gonna know?  Hell, whos gonna know if you keep a gun in your backpack?

The only time anyone should ever find out is if you need it. And if you need it, you'll be glad that you're just getting thrown out of the school rather than being dead/raped/robbed.

*sigh* I gave a chick a ride home from school last semester, and she saw the big can of empty shotgun shells in the back of my van.  "Are you allowed to have those???"    Figures.  Even some hotties can turn out to be real liberal beotches.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:51:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Not in Nevada either. Except if the principal of a school ar college gives you permission to do so.

'Nuff said...

LRdrvr

P.S.: Let's hope no shithead comes up with the idea to pull anything like we've seen in Russia lately. The lawabiding people are disarmed again...
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:53:39 PM EDT
[#25]
sterling18, I agree UT looks better by the day as far as gun ownership is concerned.
NV serves as a buffer between the PDRK and UT.

LRdrvr
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:55:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
In Colorado, colleges and universities are OK with a CCW, but only employees can carry at elementary schools, middle schools and high schools.

Well, thats a big part of it right there.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:46:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A big part of what?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:51:26 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A big part of what?

A big part of protecting our kids. Armed teachers, principles, etc.  Armed parents would be the OTHER part.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:57:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Believe it or not, if you have a CCW you can carry in schools.

California is weird that way, they make it so hard to get a CCW permit that few have them, and therefore it isn't a problem they have to address.  Consequently, there are very few restrictions on where you carry -- you can carry in a school, a bar, a church, a police station, a sports arena, whatever.

You can't, of course, be under the influence of alcohol in above places and carry.....

The only exceptions to carrying concealed in California is when picketing or in a federal/state building or courthouse.

Oh, and first offense of carrying concealed without a permit is a misdemeanor unless you have a knife.  Having a knife makes it a gang related offense, and thus a felony.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:00:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
As long as they don't know about it, all of them do. It's all about that second "C."

ETA www.packing.org

That's a GREAT way to get prision time and lose the ability to legally own guns!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:04:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Assuming you have a CCW permit, you are exempt from the Federal "Gun Free School Zone" law (which may be unconstitutional anyway).

Here in AZ, if you have a CCW license, you can take a firearm onto school property IF (1) you are a parent of a student there, and (2) the firearm is unloaded and stored out of sight in your vehicle. You cannot take the firearm with you if you leave the vehicle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top