Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/4/2004 4:47:48 PM EDT
Thought I would ask for opinions on a subject that has intrigued me for a long time.  I work full time, and after the birth of my son, and later twin daughters, my wife only worked on my days off.  Home with the kids, I usually do quite a bit of cleaning.  Scrubbing bathrooms, vacuuming, laundry, dishes, some dusting, changing bedding, etc.  All the while taking care of the kids, and lawn mowing, car repair, and my full time job during the week.  She would work 20 hours a week, and still did her share of stuff.

Most of my co-worker male friends really never approached near this amount of household chore stuff that I have.  Granted, being somewhat of a "neat freak" probably didn't help me out.  But, should my helping out around the house somehow take away from my manliness?  Kind of feels like it does, sometimes.  I can't remember EVER seeing my dad lift a finger around the house.

I guess no matter what everyone says, I am doomed to continue.  It's my lot in life.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:49:26 PM EDT
[#1]
It makes you more of a man.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:50:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Ask coondog. He'll deny it of course but I'll bet he can clean a house neat as a pin!

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think so.

I clean, do laundry and cook. I can't iron worth a shit though.

My wife soes it most of the time, but if she gets behind I jump in so she can catch up.

Any man who says thats womens work probably likes filth and wears a dirty wife beater t shirt all day.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope not because I live alone and I'm too cheap to hire a maid.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:54:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Seeing as how I have lived alone most of my life I would say it makes you more of a man. I have yet to meet a woman that can out clean, cook, or do laundry better. Not because I'm great, just always took care of myself and my things.

If married you should help out as much as possible and do it with pride and to the best of your abilities.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:56:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I live alone and like to keep my place clean. So no.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#9]
No it doesnt, but it helps get more PIE when you help out.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:08:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm a single guy and I can tell you this...

I own my own home and I keep it clean almost to the point of being obsessive.

I religiously clean every room in the house on a routine basis.  

I have slob friends who don't care about what the place they live in looks like - I can't live like that!

Also - I have never been to any one of my lady friends houses that have even been close to being as clean as my house.

Don't worry about it, keep your house clean and enjoy life!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Negative, it means that you are R-E-S-P-O-N-S-I-B-L-E.

Think about all the crap that gets on the bottom of your shoes when you're outside, at the store, etc.. Now imagine walking into your house and all that crap transferring from your shoes to the carpet/floor. Now imagine one of your little ones crawling around on the same carpet/floor then putting his/her hand in it's mouth like babies do. See where I'm going with this?

I personally like a tidy house. I have friends and coworkers always stopping by and I take pride in where I live.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:14:34 PM EDT
[#12]
depends on what you clean with.....

swifter =

wetdry shop vac =

storebought cleaning wipes =

old t=shirt rag with holes and oilstains/bloodstains =
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Only if you put on a maids outfit while you do it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh , wow ! Must be that time of year for some of us to question our manliness. Well what can I say? OK, HERE WE GO. Do your most hated chores first. Get them out of the way. Do you give the kids a bath? Make it fun. Get a squirt gun!!(I made a ryhm!!!)(Just in time!!!)Use head phones when vacuuming,ironing,dishes,dog washing, washing trucks(Got to do that after wifey got back!),cars, washing clothes,dusting,windows.Drink lots of coffee and get a huge caffiene buzz going. Coffee is your friend when it comes to stuff like this! Give yourself a goal to work towards. Get all your chores done before the weekend, put a deposit down on a new gun!YA SEE?! HUH? HUH? You and me, we'll figure it all out!Seriously, good job on you and your wife being a team and sharing the work load. Take care. Coondog
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Necessary Skill.
Clean apartment adds to chances of getting laid.
Wife coming home to clean house... see above.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Hell no.  If you're married it gets you laid!  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#17]
It's just me and my cat so I do the cleaning. I can't get him to lift a paw. Life is good though. John
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Aww man. Ok heres what you do...ya get a leafblower.  The real mans cleaning utensil. If the leafblower can't handle it, you step up to the shop vac.  If that fails, I'd try a mulcher. After that your only option is arson. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I have OCD, dust and dirt freak me out so my house stays spotless.

Learned to iron in the military and can iron better than most women.  
I can guess you can say the neat freak in me came from the military.

Wife still does most the cleaning though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#20]
My experience has been that cleaning makes me more of a man...It impresses the women if your house is clean.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#21]
The only way a real man should clean a house is to put an air nozzle on his 50' air hose that is attached to his 60 gallon, two stage pump, oilless, Ingersal Rand, 190psi air comfuckinpressor and blow the dust out the front door! Anything else would be homo.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Thought I would ask for opinions on a subject that has intrigued me for a long time.  I work full time, and after the birth of my son, and later twin daughters, my wife only worked on my days off.  Home with the kids, I usually do quite a bit of cleaning.  Scrubbing bathrooms, vacuuming, laundry, dishes, some dusting, changing bedding, etc.  All the while taking care of the kids, and lawn mowing, car repair, and my full time job during the week.  She would work 20 hours a week, and still did her share of stuff.

Most of my co-worker male friends really never approached near this amount of household chore stuff that I have.  Granted, being somewhat of a "neat freak" probably didn't help me out.  But, should my helping out around the house somehow take away from my manliness?  Kind of feels like it does, sometimes.  I can't remember EVER seeing my dad lift a finger around the house.

I guess no matter what everyone says, I am doomed to continue.  It's my lot in life.

NO, makes you more of a man.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:23:40 PM EDT
[#23]
My wife thinks I'm weird because I shop for cleaning products and freak out when someone else uses them.

DON'T TOUCH MY CLEANING STUFF! IT'S MINE! GET YOUR OWN!

Almost as bad as messing with one of my guns!

I love the anti-bacterial stuff...
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Cleaning House ?.......try doing your 3 year old daughter's hair.  Brushing, Barrettes, pigtails, and a Bow.  Don't mind it at all. Between her and my 1 year old I know I've changed at least a few thousand diapers in the past few years.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:09:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Cleaning House ?.......try doing your 3 year old daughter's hair.  Brushing, Barrettes, pigtails, and a Bow.  Don't mind it at all. Between her and my 1 year old I know I've changed at least a few thousand diapers in the past few years.

Take advantage of the time your daughter lets you do her hair etc, those kids grow up real fast, and all of this would just be a memory. You should take a picture of it also to show her when she grows up.

Cleanliness is godliness.

I've don't cooking, sewing, washing, & cleaning+automobile mechanic, gardener, carpenter etc.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Only if you have a feather duster shoved up your ass....

Quoted:
Does house cleaning make you less of a man?  

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+1

I clean the place when I need to...which is usually every weekend, since I'm busy enough during the week that nothing gets done.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes.  What next, are you going to start breast feeding your babies? Do you go to the store and pick out drapes in "fabulous" colors?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#29]
If  you have a wife

Housework = PIE  

If you do not have a wife

Housework = Homosexuality

No wife for me...you should see my dorm room...not even funny anymore
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#30]
It is important to clean even if you're a man. Sure homes get messy at times, that is just a part of life, but everyone needs to clean at some point. You don't want to be living in a filthy stink hole.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:18:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Clean the f'en house, what are you a PIG?

You made the mess, you go f'en clean it.

btw, if I made the mess and didn't clean it, the wife would kick my ass..

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:40:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Even though the hubby cleans his stuff German spic-n-span, he's still da man.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:56:52 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Yes.  What next, are you going to start breast feeding your babies? Do you go to the store and pick out drapes in "fabulous" colors?

That's the kind of attitude to win friends in boot camp or beyond in the good old days of squad bays.

As far as Maids Outfits go, only when they are French Maid skimpies AND you wear garters with the stockings.  No garters you still the man.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:12:42 AM EDT
[#34]
It 'll just make you that much more versatile . It 's best to rely on yourself because relying on someone else MAKES YOU DEPENDENT .   Work is work it does not have a sexual preference but at the same time this is providing that it don't interfere with GUN TIME.  Gun shows , arfcom , cleaning , fondling , bragging , enjoying , etc. , etc. .
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:25:39 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I agree totally!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:34:07 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree totally!

Same here.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:00:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Only if I loose some weight in the process, other then that I feel better after I’m done helping since I’m probably the one that made the mess in the first place
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:02:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Well Im bad about cleaning.  I have ammo and stuff scattered everywhere. I keep it very basic.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:57:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks for backing me up on this, guys.  I sometimes feel like I'm all alone in this nasty domestic stuff.   Small price to pay for the kids, though.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Certified House Bitch here. Thats what my wife calls me...lol. I am a stay at home dad. We made this decision two years ago for the sake of the kids. I also work two 12 hour shifts a week at my old full time job of 15 years. I dont find cleaning house makes me less or more of anything. I do find running a household of 5 to be one of the most difficult jobs I have ever had and I now take back everything I used to say to my wife about having it easy staying at home.

edit to add.........aside from it being difficult, it is very rewarding.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#41]
shop vac here all the way, I'd get a dyson, but I need the pet one, only thing is it's purple. I'll have to spray paint it flat black, or  I won't be able to live with myself.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:17:42 PM EDT
[#42]
You guys crack me up!.....
And yes I clean house, my wife is a slob and cant keep anything clean!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm a slob.

My apartment is a mess.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Yes, it makes you less of a man.  Revel in your filth - demand that your woman clean up after you.

Seriously, of course not.  There is nothing wrong with cleaning up after yourself or the whole family.  I don't think it has much to do with masculinity.

Excuse me, I have to go do the ironing now...
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Hell no!  Clean house = PIE.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:39:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Hell yes!!!       I run things around my house.
I run the vacuum cleaner.
I run the dishwasher.
I run the washer and dryer.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Not when you clean it with the correct tools....

MT
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Thought I would ask for opinions on a subject that has intrigued me for a long time.   But, should my helping out around the house somehow take away from my manliness?  Kind of feels like it does, sometimes.  I can't remember EVER seeing my dad lift a finger around the house.

You helped to make the mess; you can help to clean it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#49]
What is this 'House Cleaning' of which you speak… womans work?

Andy
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Nope.

I'm kinda a slob during the week, but I know where everything is.  The weekend shows up, and I put everything away and can't find it.  I have to work all week to get everything scattered again so I can find it - just in time to hide it again.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top