Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 2:22:02 PM EDT
Acknowledging that nobody would truly benefit from a terrorist attack in the U.S., I'm referring to the benefit at the ballot box.

The lines of reasoning I've heard are:

- Bush because it demonstrates the seriousness of the threat and the Right is stronger on national security

- Kerry because Bush has had years since 9-11 to secure the nation and has failed to do so.  It's time to give the reigns to someone else
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The lines of reasoning I've heard are:

- Bush because it demonstrates the seriousness of the threat and the Right is stronger on national security

I the initial speech on the war on terrorism after the 9/11/01 WTC/Pentagon attack, Bush mentioned that the war is going to take years.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:25:55 PM EDT
[#2]
No one....

No one I don't care who you are will benefit from a terrorist attack on the U.S.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Another major terrorist attack in the USA right before the election would pretty much ensure a Bush victory, IMHO...people would tend to rally around the President...
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#4]
From what I have heard from election prognosticators, Kerry would have benefited from an attack anytime before September because there would have been time for the initial rally-round-the-flag feelings to give way to let's-blame-somebody feelings.  But Bush would benefit anytime after September because the rally-round-the-flag feelings would ensure that people would stay with the incumbent.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Either way, I think we'll hear a collective sigh of relief from Washington if we get to the election without an attack.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know, but the dems will use it to make Bush look bad.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I think that even the dumb asses voting for Kerry know he is a lame duck on terrorist
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Post 9/11 Bush's approval rating went through the roof. The nation rallied (for the most part at least) behind the president and it would do so again. If the Al Quaida pricks want the war on terror to continue they only have to pull some shit here in the US prior to the elections.
If they prefer a "sensitive" war on terror a la SKerry they better not detonate their bomb-coat...
In reality they don't think that far.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I don't know, but the dems will use it to make Bush look bad.

absolutely would not be able to, if they tried, the disgust and backlash might very well end the democratic party.  America would once again rally around President Bush if we were attacked again.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:36:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:40:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The internet would benifit the most.  It would give pinheads something else to babble on senselessly about.

I think somebody needs a hug.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:47:53 PM EDT
[#13]
HELLO?!?!?!?  Doesn't anyone remember what happened when Spain got hit right before their elections?!?!?!?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I think an attack would likely push a bit more support to Bush, simply because he takes a tough stance on terror and Americans get pissed really badly when someone attacks us. But I don't think it would really be that big of a boost either way. It seems that about 90% of the voters are firmlt decided and would not change their opinion no matter what happened.

I just hope that a series of attacks on election day don't happen. We don't want people staying home and not voting. Think if they hit key Bush areas hard starting early in the day and continuing through the day. That's really the only way I think they could disrupt the election and take votes away from Bush, if that is indeed their goal or plan. But it would have to be a coordinated large scale attack to really have any effect on the outcome of the election. And it's possible if such an event were to occur that the election would be postponed anyway.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:49:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I honestly don't know. First off, this isn't Spain, so I don't think the comparison works.

However, while I can see the people rallying around the President, I can also see them getting pissed.

That said, if Kerry tries to make ANY type of hay over it, he's toast. People will see right through that...
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
HELLO?!?!?!?  Doesn't anyone remember what happened when Spain got hit right before their elections?!?!?!?

Hello, the US isn't populated by Eurotrash pansies!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you serious?  According to all the poles, AT LEAST 40% of americans are eurotrash/pro UN/lets-have-a-group-hug-with-OBL pansies.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

imo, that's like saying after 9/11, "hello, does anyone remember what happened when the germans attacked france?!?!?!"
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess you've never been to the DU.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:25:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where the hell have you been?.... I talk to over 300 people a day in the worst situation's you could think of, and I would say that 40% is a lowball...
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:35:33 PM EDT
[#21]
The terrorists, like many Americans (and probably people all over the world), tend to view other countries from their own cultural point of view.  It leads to misunderstandings and miscalculations.

As Americans, you guys know what the reaction would be to terrorist attacks just before the election.  The terrorists, with a few exceptions, did not grow up in America and do not have the innate understanding of this country that you guys do, just like few people on this board really understand the terrorists' thought processes.

So an attack is very possible, even though it would ensure a Bush win, because the terrorists might wrongly assume Americans would react like Arabs (or the Spanish) would to an attack.

This is exactly what happened in Russia this week.  The terrorists, with apparently no understanding of the Russian mind, attempted to shock and terrify the Russian people.  Instead, they managed to infuriate the entire nation in a way they could not have achieved had they tried.  Soon the world will realize the magnitude of the terrorists' mistake.  Nobody in this generation has seen the Russian people truly pissed off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top