Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 9:31:00 AM EDT
This is from a British newspaper. I'm sure this is a preview of what we'll be seeing later this month.  

George Jr sent out of Texas by father as a 'drunken liability'

Gary Younge in New York
Friday September 3, 2004
The Guardian

The US president, George Bush, was transferred to the Alabama National Guard during the Vietnam war because his drunken behaviour was a political liability to his father in Texas, the wife of one of his father's former confidants revealed yesterday.

Linda Allison told the political website Salon.com that throughout the time Mr Bush was in Alabama she never saw him in uniform and had no idea he was supposed to be in the National Guard.

"Georgie was raising a lot of hell in Houston, getting in trouble and embarrassing the family and they just really wanted to get him out of Houston." Asked if she had ever seen him in uniform Mrs Allison said: "Good Lord, no. I had no idea the National Guard was involved in his life."

Mrs Allison is the wife of the late Jimmy Allison, a former political consultant and newspaper owner from Midland, Texas and one time confidant of the Bush family. Motivated by pride in her husband and pique at the manner in which the Bush family discarded him once they believed he was no longer useful, the interview is the first she has ever given.

On Sunday the former lieutenant governor of Texas Ben Barnes will admit on the CBS primetime news programme 60 Minutes that he pulled strings to enrol Mr Bush in a unit of the Texas National Guard known as the Champagne Unit, because it had so many sons of prominent Texas politicians and businessmen.

Mrs Allison said that in 1972 her husband received a call from Mr Bush's father asking whether he could find a place for his son on a Senate campaign he was managing in Alabama. Mr Bush Sr was the US ambassador to the UN at the time and his son's drunken and occasionally loutish behaviour was becoming an embarrassment.

Mr Allison agreed to take the errant Bush son as his deputy in a Senate campaign to elect the Alabama Republican Winton "Red" Blount. Once he had an official reason to be in Alabama, Mr Bush Jr transferred from the Texas National Guard to its Alabama counterpart, although beyond one dental examination there is no proof that he showed up for any service even though it was only a part-time posting. Mr Bush was subsequently given an honourable discharge.

Most involved in the Senate campaign recall Mr Bush Jr turning up late, boasting about how much alcohol he had drunk the night before and then going home early. "After about a month I asked Jimmy what was Georgie's job, because I could never figure it out," recalled Mrs Allison. "I never saw him do anything."

www.guardian.co.uk/uselections2004/story/0,13918,1296350,00.html
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#1]
What a shock.  Who whould have thougth GWB ever drank as a youth?

Oh, did you know Kerry has 3 purple hearts, a bronze star and a silver star (with a "V" device?)???/
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#2]
You know, only the Dems would think that, somehow, what a young man did back in the '70s is more important than the 30 years following.  Its as if the time I accidentally took a leak in the living room plant is the defining moment in my life.  So what if young George W was a drunk frat boy in college?  He's proved his mettle a thousand times over in the subsequent 3 decades!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#3]
They used alot of that crap the first time around and got ALOT of Fundamentalist Christians to sit-out the election (The story broke the week-end before the 2000 election).

I don't think it'll play worth a Sh*t this time though.  One thing they managed to do at the RNC was was stay "Big-Tent" enough for the moderates but still hit on the core issues the Christians wanted to hear.  Besides, they've had 4 years to see that his drinking is in his past and they KNOW what they'll be getting from the other team which is basically squat.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#4]
OH MY GOODNESS!! YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT IN HIS YOUNGER YEARS , G.W.BUSH DRANK ALCOHOL??!!! OF ALL THE DIRTY TRICKS! I THOUGHT I HAD SEEN THEM ALL!! NOT THIS ONE!! WELL THAT'S IT , I'VE HAD IT ! I'M GOING TO THE WHITEHOUSE RIGHT NOW AND take a six pack with me. Hey W, want a brewsky? Take care. Coondog
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#5]
He drank in a fashion reminiscent of "Jenjis" Khan. . .  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:55:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't care if he was transferred because he was but-raping the General's DOG.

Kerry's "war" record has been shown to be questionable at best, and outright bullshit at worst. His record after the war is nothing short of treasonous. His record in the Senate since then has been atrocious and  borderline criminal against the armed forces.

GWB, OTOH, has a solid four-year record of LEADERSHIP in the office he is seeking to remain in.

I'll take that over stories that are both questionable AND 35+ years old.

Funny how Kerry STILL can't come out and provide a POSITIVE reason to vote for him OTHER than that he spent four months in a hellhole he worked so hard to ensure his own country LOST in!

I HATE him. I well and truly HATE him. Clinton, at least, had the balls to run away. This scumbag actively worked against HIS OWN SHIPMATES!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I bet hes was hangin' with females with loose morales too.  Who cares.  I disagree with some of his policies, such as the enviroment, but Kerry is just unfit.  Can ya'll imagion who Kerry would nominate for the Supreme Court?  Can you say someone like Feinstien or Schumer.  Damn, tht is scary and reason enough not to vote for that SOB.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Who gives a FUCK!

Did you know he got a DUI also.Guess what 1/2  the people in this country have been charged with one as well.

Why do the Dems think Kerrys war record is going to get him elected.I honestly dont think people give a shit about that stuff anymore.If they did Clinton would of never Beat Sr. or Dole.

Another news Flash for everybody.No one Gives a shit about prior Drug and alcohol abuse either.Because 2/3 of the country is afflicted anyway.

Kerry is a loser and they are grabbing for straws.His voting record in the Senate shows what kind of PATHETIC American he really is.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:21:54 AM EDT
[#9]

You know, only the Dems would think that, somehow, what a young man did back in the '70s is more important than the 30 years following.

Uhhhh....  you may wish to reconsider that statement.  What John F'ing Kerry did 30 yrs. ago in Vietnam is very  important cufrrently.  Just a thought...........
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:24:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
OH MY GOODNESS!! YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT IN HIS YOUNGER YEARS , G.W.BUSH DRANK ALCOHOL??!!! OF ALL THE DIRTY TRICKS! I THOUGHT I HAD SEEN THEM ALL!! NOT THIS ONE!! WELL THAT'S IT , I'VE HAD IT ! I'M GOING TO THE WHITEHOUSE RIGHT NOW AND take a six pack with me. Hey W, want a brewsky? Take care. Coondog

Bush was no party animal.  This whole smear is a lie

www.pleasurecaptains.com
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:31:13 AM EDT
[#11]

the wife of one of his father's former confidants revealed yesterday

If an ex-wife of your father's friend said it, then it must be true.

Sheesh!

wganz

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:10:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Bush was no party animal.  This whole smear is a lie

Don’t sweat it this only helps the President this crap has already backfired on the Democrats once.

I believe the Bush DUI story that was published the weekend before the 2000 election actually helped Bush.

Even if the public buys the fact Bush was a drunk 30+ years ago it only enhances the image of todays George W. Bush.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Salon.com???  Guardian.uk???  Give me a friggin break...

...and the Kerry camp just keeps on digging their hole deeper and deeper...
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#14]

GWBush had a drinking problem.

Kerry turned against his own country and sided with the enemy in a time of war.

DUI does not trump treason.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Kerry's "war" record has been shown to be questionable at best, and outright bullshit at worst. His record after the war is nothing short of treasonous. His record in the Senate since then has been atrocious and  borderline criminal against the armed forces.

GWB, OTOH, has a solid four-year record of LEADERSHIP in the office he is seeking to remain in.

Funny how Kerry STILL can't come out and provide a POSITIVE reason to vote for him OTHER than that he spent four months in a hellhole he worked so hard to ensure his own country LOST in!

I HATE him. I well and truly HATE him. Clinton, at least, had the balls to run away. This scumbag actively worked against HIS OWN SHIPMATES!

Zaphod is spot on!

I have more respect for Cassius Clay than for John F'n sKerry!
Being a coward is better than being a traitor!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Hell so what if he was drinking at least he didn't run off no bridges and drown his date.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Who gives a FUCK!

Did you know he got a DUI also.Guess what 1/2  the people in this country have been charged with one as well.

Why do the Dems think Kerrys war record is going to get him elected.I honestly dont think people give a shit about that stuff anymore.If they did Clinton would of never Beat Sr. or Dole.

Another news Flash for everybody.No one Gives a shit about prior Drug and alcohol abuse either.Because 2/3 of the country is afflicted anyway.

Kerry is a loser and they are grabbing for straws.His voting record in the Senate shows what kind of PATHETIC American he really is.

That many --------------
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I bet hes was hangin' with females with loose morales too.  Who cares.  I disagree with some of his policies, such as the enviroment, but Kerry is just unfit.  Can ya'll imagion who Kerry would nominate for the Supreme Court?  Can you say someone like Feinstien or Schumer.  Damn, tht is scary and reason enough not to vote for that SOB.

Yeah, I used to hang with a loose female named Morales, too....Ole!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:10:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Awesome line...I can see that male prostitute Kerry saying that...
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

You know, only the Dems would think that, somehow, what a young man did back in the '70s is more important than the 30 years following.

Uhhhh....  you may wish to reconsider that statement.  What John F'ing Kerry did 30 yrs. ago in Vietnam is very  important cufrrently.  Just a thought...........

Actually, what Kerry did 30 years ago has continued his whole life.  He fabricated his "heroism", came home and called all of us murderers, and has continued that basic theme until now, when he thinks being a "war hero" is good for him, a complete flip flop from 30 years of military bashing and outright lying about his fellow servicemen.

While Bush may have done some typical young person stuff, Kerry went and met with the enemy in Paris while still a commissioned officer, along with all the other aforementioned stuff.  Huge difference.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Salon.com???  Guardian.uk???  Give me a friggin break...

...and the Kerry camp just keeps on digging their hole deeper and deeper...

I can't believe Salon.com is still in business...is George Soros keeping them alive till the election?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

NOW THAT'S FUNNY.....

M4-AK
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#24]
That's rather lame.  Kerry is running out of ammo if his campaign is resorting to having their willing accomplices in the media at 60 Minutes run that stupid story.

Sheesh...I don't even want to remember what the hell I was doing in my mid- twenties back then  .  Not too proud of much of it.  Miz LWilde changed all that...just like Miz Laura changed Dubya.

Oh...and the Guardian?  Probably the most liberal rag that side of the New York Times!  Some of the shit may be true...but so what.  That was then...and THIS is now.

Kerry is toast.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#26]
1) Raven was citing this not as a 'reason Bush is bad', but as an example of Kerry desperation

2) We all know Bush is a sober alchoholic. Not only does he say he's been off the sauce since 86, but he DOES NOT DRINK now.

This is very well known & documented, Bush will not even touch a beer...

3) Bush then/Bush now is a testiment to his character. He saw what was wrong with his life & fixed it.

That's how I see it...
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
1) Raven was citing this not as a 'reason Bush is bad', but as an example of Kerry desperation

2) We all know Bush is a sober alchoholic. Not only does he say he's been off the sauce since 86, but he DOES NOT DRINK now.

This is very well known & documented, Bush will not even touch a beer...

3) Bush then/Bush now is a testiment to his character. He saw what was wrong with his life & fixed it.

That's how I see it...

Here Here! That's what I like about him. He has the fortitude to resist his demons and straighten his his life out. W in 04!!!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:43:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Zaphod is spot on!

BigDozer66

Your calling Mohammed  Ali a coward?   I would say he took a moral stand against the war and paid a high price for it.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:52:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Zaphod is spot on!

BigDozer66

Your calling Mohammed  Ali a coward?   I would say he took a moral stand against the war and paid a high price for it.

[sidebar]

Isn't it interesting how far off the edge Islam has gone?

Almost 40 years ago, Ali based his "conscientious objector" status on being a Muslim saying it was against his religion to kill unless he was directly attacked.

Today... they kill innocent people BECAUSE of their religion.

What a fucked up world.

[/sidebar]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top