Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 8:42:55 AM EDT
Putin vows terror fight back

Sep 4 2004

Russian President Vladimir Putin pledged to fight back against the threat of terrorists as the death toll in the country's bloody three-day school siege reached 340.

Hours after emergency workers completed the horrifying task of clearing bodies of children and adults from the devastated ruins in the North Ossetian town of Beslan, Mr Putin admitted his nation had been unprepared for the threat from militants.

He vowed to provide an adequate military response and confirmed that he would authorise more funding for security forces and border control.

Mr Putin said: "We have been in crisis before as well as had riots and terrorist acts, but what happened this time was an inhuman act of unparalleled violence.

"This is not just a challenge to the president, or to the parliament, but the the whole of Russia. It is an attack on the whole country."

Muslim separatists, including Arab mercenaries, are believed to have been behind the horrific siege.

The kidnappers had demanded a Russian withdrawal of troops from Chechnya in return for the safe release of the hostages.

Mr Putin said: "It seems that we have a choice: To fight them back, or to surrender and allow them to destroy Russia."

Earlier, regional emergency situations minister Boris Dzgoyev said 323 victims, including 156 children, had been killed during the crisis. It was also confirmed that all 26 hostage takers had been killed.

Mr Putin said international terrorists had declared "a full-scale war" against Russia. He claimed that following the collapse of the Soviet Union, the nation was weakened and unable to respond effectively, but said Russia would now look to develop new methods to combat militants.

icberkshire.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/nationalnews/tm_objectid=14604642&method=full&siteid=50102&headline=putin-vows-terror-fight-back-name_page.html
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:46:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Go kick some ass Russia. And while at it, join with us in your efforts. We're all in this twisted game together.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Time to finish leveling Grozny.......
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I say pull back and nuke it from orbit...
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#4]
The real question is, will Putin and the Russian government realize that the fight with the Chechnyans is NOT a separate, regional battle anymore but part of the larger war on radical Islamic terror groups?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I say pull back and nuke it from orbit...

Nuke your neighbor?

Wouldn't that be a bit messy for Russians too
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Considering that many of the attackers were Arabs and not Chechens, as well as the Al-Qaida ties to Chechens, I don't see how they could view it as anything else.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:49:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Considering that many of the attackers were Arabs and not Chechens, as well as the Al-Qaida ties to Chechens, I don't see how they could view it as anything else.

Anything less than more islamic violence?  I agree.

There were 10 Arabs if I recall correctly, that leaves more people, who were Chechyn that committed this atrocity.  Carpet bomb a couple Chechyn villages and see how that cools the heels of the terrorists pieces of shit.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:51:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anything less than more islamic violence?  I agree.

There were 10 Arabs if I recall correctly, that leaves more people, who were Chechyn that committed this atrocity.  Carpet bomb a couple Chechyn villages and see how that cools the heels of the terrorists pieces of shit.

What would really be a spit-in-your-eye response would be the Russians putting troops into Iraq.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:57:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What would really be a spit-in-your-eye response would be the Russians putting troops into Iraq.

+1000!
Hopefully this will convince Russia and maybe some other countries that they are a part of this war, like it or not. I already know whos side they will be on. The only good terrorist is a dead terrorist.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:39:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The real question is, will Putin and the Russian government realize that the fight with the Chechnyans is NOT a separate, regional battle anymore but part of the larger war on radical Islamic terror groups?

They've got to know this by now.. especially since Chechens have been routinely sighted in Iraq with insurgents/Al Qaeda. That picture Drudge had a while ago clearly showed a caucasian under a headwrap holding an RPG. American contractors also have reported seeing Chechens in Iraq.

I suspect any reservations they have toward fully "coming on board" with us is rooted in their ties to nations like Germany and France. We'll see how many dead children that's worth.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:41:57 AM EDT
[#12]
The Chechans have screwed the pooch on this one.  In stooping so low they have no credibility at the bargaining table.  Putin is gonna spank them good.  If Chechnya wanted a seperate state, they just destroyed any chance of that for certain.  The Russians are not gonna stand for this...

Let me be clear that I mean the Chechan seperateists and not the entire state.  This is not a kill em all reference.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Time to finish leveling Grozny.......

FYI, the government in Chechnya is
a "friendly" government. The newly
elected president was hand picked by
Putin. What you suggest would be
tantamont to attacking Islamabad in
order to damage OBL.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top