Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 7:04:49 AM EDT
Got a MAJOR problem on a 99 Silverado 4.3.  It starts, runs for about a second and shuts down with no deiseling.  It isn't kicking out any fault codes, got plenty of gas, good fuel pressure and flow, new cap, rotor, wires, plugs.  (It ran fine 2 days ago after I changed out these parts on normal tune up)  I noticed that the coil was arcing to ground, so I changed that.  Still no fixee.  The electronic ignition module is on the same mount as the coil, and I'm thinking the arcing fried it BUT it costs about $65 and I just spent most of my paycheck on ammo so swapping parts that I can't return ain't gonna work unless it fixes the problem.

Anyone got an idea of what to check next?  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:10:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you have a bad mass air flow sensor. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:15:14 PM EDT
[#2]
If you keep your foot on the gas will it keep running?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you keep your foot on the gas will it keep running?

+1
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks for trying guys.  It turned out to be a shorted remote starter.  I disconnected the little black boxes and everything works fine now.

(I guess working on Uncle Sam's flightline actually DID teach me something worthwhile!)
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, you found it so there go my theories.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#6]
i would have guessed a bad throttle position sensor....................had a grand prix do that to me once before.  start, run fine for a few seconds, and then die for no apparent reason........................
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top