Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2004 4:57:42 AM EDT
Florida vs. Mother Nature - - - Round 3

DING!

Edit on 9/7 - This model was dead on for Frances and predicted the western turn across the state 3 days before it happened...

UPDATE on 9/9:

...from wxrisk.com, a guy I've been following for over a year.  He nailed Charley and Frances days in advance.

"we are facing is massive hurricane which is going to wipe Jamaica flat as well as a large portion of Cuba and then move to north int Western Florida.. If I was writing the forecast in southern Florida I would be a typing and crying.. If I could pass along one piece of information to those located in southwest Florida it would be to flee. RUN... sprint. GET OUT..."

Animated projected path: ECMWF Model

You should see the animation of the porjected path.  If you don't it's prob a Java issue on your PC.

Shit.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:58:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Shoo!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:58:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Great. Another one.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:36:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I may just leave the house boarded up until Christmas.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:38:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Sucks to be in Florida lately.  More active duty for me.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:46:05 AM EDT
[#5]
When it rains it pours. That sure seems to be one the surest truisms I ever heard. And in this case, literally.

Poor Florida. They just aren't getting any breaks.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:51:41 AM EDT
[#6]
hang tough FL people
one more reason that if I lived on the coast I'd need a lot more money since my house would be built out of steel reinforced concrete, with rounded walls to allow the wind to blow past even a little bit easier
There's a house in Garden City SC that looks like a UFO on stilts. Hugo, and everything since as of the last time I was there which was about 2-3 years ago, didn't touch it. Yet wooden houses next door with squared off flat walls had tons of damage from Hugo

wow, found a pic of it
down under June 2003
www.tellmewhereonearth.com/Web%20Pages/Latest%20Travels/Latest_Travels_Page_2.htm
I saved it and hosted it on a free server to not steal bandwidth from the original host

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:57:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Hmmm.

I thought this was a thread about what the Russians were going to do to terrorists after the incident at the school.

Hurrican Ivan
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:02:46 AM EDT
[#8]
one more thing, what happened to the G and H storms?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:05:46 AM EDT
[#9]
God hates Florida this year… maybe he's trying to sway the election by keeping all the old people indoor?

Seriously though… best of luck to you people in Florida, I see it on the news, I know I would find it hard to keep going with all this shit being thrown at you if I was in your shoes…

Be safe

Andy
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:15:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
hang tough FL people
one more reason that if I lived on the coast I'd need a lot more money since my house would be built out of steel reinforced concrete, with rounded walls to allow the wind to blow past even a little bit easier
There's a house in Garden City SC that looks like a UFO on stilts. Hugo, and everything since as of the last time I was there which was about 2-3 years ago, didn't touch it. Yet wooden houses next door with squared off flat walls had tons of damage from Hugo

wow, found a pic of it
down under June 2003
www.tellmewhereonearth.com/Web%20Pages/Latest%20Travels/Latest_Travels_Page_2.htm
I saved it and hosted it on a free server to not steal bandwidth from the original host
img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/mikehunt234/hurricanehouseingardencity.jpg

I'd be doing something like this:

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:15:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:19:56 AM EDT
[#12]
[Moe]Let's go tear down the weather station so this'll never happen again![/Moe]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:26:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Jesus, don't those hurricanes ever give up?!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:31:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
hang tough FL people

wow, found a pic of it
down under June 2003
img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/mikehunt234/hurricanehouseingardencity.jpg

I'd be doing something like this:

www.monolithic.com/gallery/homes/pass/pass2x.jpg

I like the original Idea better, it gets you off the ground incase of flooding.

Here in alabama tho, that would be a great tornado proof house!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:42:10 AM EDT
[#15]
the one I posted is on the other side of the road from the beach, so flooding is a concern. I remember going down as soon as they let people back in after Hugo and there was still some water standing. In that area there's the beach, an area wide enough for houses/condos/hotels, a 2 lane road and more houses, then the backwater and then normal land. this house is in that second area of houses.
Wish my parents hadn't sold the condo my grandparents had, but I can understand why. Renting it out when we weren't there barely covered the expenses after taking into account the wear and tear and thefts the renters would do. then there were the special assessments from the condo association for building upkeep
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:37:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:38:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Jesus, don't those hurricanes ever give up?!

Not until we win another national championship!  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:56:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:07:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Two hurricanes in one week for Florida?  Ain't dat bout a bitch?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:12:47 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
one more thing, what happened to the G and H storms?

There was Gaston.

Gaston? As in Glock? That one must have KB'd before it made landfall

No Gaston came ashore in the Carolina's and up through Virginia dumping 10+ inches in Richmond.  

Hermonie was off the carolina/jersey coast and didn't touch land.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:34:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Shoo!!

Shoo!!

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:01:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Motherf*cker...

Tag.

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:03:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Two hurricanes in one week for Florida?  Ain't dat bout a bitch?

I like Scotch...

Scotch, scotch, scotch...

...Down my stomache...

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:47:19 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

No Gaston came ashore in the Carolina's and up through Virginia dumping 10+ inches in Richmond.  

Hermonie was off the carolina/jersey coast and didn't touch land.

Yeah Gaston flooded the hell out of richmond.... 20 blocks were condemed..

Both of em randomly formed off carolina a week and a half ago.. it was wierd, they appeared literally in 12 hours..
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:50:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Bring on the hurricanes, more hurricanes=more OT for me!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:01:46 AM EDT
[#27]
UPDATE on 9/9:

...from wxrisk.com, a guy I've been following for over a year.  He nailed Charley and Frances days in advance.

"we are facing is massive hurricane which is going to wipe Jamaica flat as well as a large portion of Cuba and then move to north int Western Florida.. If I was writing the forecast in southern Florida I would be a typing and crying.. If I could pass along one piece of information to those located in southwest Florida it would be to flee. RUN... sprint. GET OUT..."

Shit.

Animated projected path:
ECMWF Model

You should see the animation of the porjected path.  If you don't it's prob a Java issue on your PC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top