Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 12:11:07 AM EDT
I have my state, I hate my job, and I hate the ex.  

There's nothing here I can say I really want.  No house, woman, job, etc.  right now.  No dog.  My divorce isn't final yet, but I can move before it completes, with a change of address notification to the court.  My friends have moved or aren't very close anymore.  

OTOH, there's the possibility I could buy a house where I want to move.  And jobs aren't plentiful, but there are jobs to be had.  And it's more gun friendly.  There's folks I know.  I'd probably end up working a lower-paying job for a while, but i would still be able to afford to live.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:13:02 AM EDT
[#1]
You can move...but I have a feeling the hate will follow you.

Get over the hate and things will look better where you are at.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:13:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:14:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
OTOH, there's the possibility I could buy a house where I want to move.  And jobs aren't plentiful, but there are jobs to be had.  And it's more gun friendly.

Where would that be?

somewhere between you and Mississippi.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:15:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:16:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Vegas is calling......

Too dry, otherwise I'd more seriously consider it.  Yes that's a problem for me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:19:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh yeah I don't have a job lined up yet.  But I can survive a few months without.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:20:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Given those stated circumstances, absolutely. asap.

Except for the firearms issues, very little else that's wrong with this state impacts me at all. I like a great deal about this State. And I've got enough family, property and business ties to tip the balance and keep me here.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:25:52 AM EDT
[#8]
get LordTraders opinion..?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:27:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
get LordTraders opinion..?

That's been a consideration.  My industry (it/computer dweebs) has been a little kinder than his, though, and I may not have one issue he's having.  Though that's not garuanteed, either.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:40:25 AM EDT
[#10]
How much a part of your life is the coast/ocean?

(The question may sound trivial to some, but I've known folks who moved away from the coast...and then realized how important it was for their general wellbeing.)
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:26:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
How much a part of your life is the coast/ocean?

(The question may sound trivial to some, but I've known folks who moved away from the coast...and then realized how important it was for their general wellbeing.)

Zero.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:38:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:39:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't know your total situation, but my experience while going through my separation and pending divorce, is move.  I was in my ex's back yard. I couldn't go out without running into her friends or people that knew her.  I was dependan on her family for things since I was in their neighborhood.  I was lucky and a transfer came up in my job, and I took it.  Amazing what a 200 mile distance can do.  Still close enough to go see my daughter, far enough away that I can get on with my life.  Now I'm just waiting to have the divorce finalized.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:03:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Go ahead and move but get a job ASAP. Low paying for now?  So what!  Low pay works good when you (or your rep) see the Judge anyway.  Hide the funds you have where "she" can't touch them but talk to a pro about where that might be.  That's my $0.02 anyway.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:05:26 AM EDT
[#15]
The great state of Texas is calling to you.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:36:50 AM EDT
[#16]
My brother actually took a job that pays a little less and moved to Texas. It has done him a world of good and he is actually enjoying his life now and doing more things. Good luck on your decision.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:40:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Move to NY.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:56:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Move to NY.

Nothing against Balzac, but NNNNOOOOOOOOO.   That's the place I escaped from.  (Just call me Snake Plisken).    (NYC is a nice place to visit, I wouldn't want to move back.  However, upstate and parts of Long Island are very nice. )
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:03:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Id say get ready to move and start trying to line up a job.  If I could find a job doing what I used to do Id be out of here.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:37:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Sacrifice everything to stay in a trendy California zip code & keep an illegal-alien detailed Lexus in your driveway. Sure, the construction of the house may be shit and it may sit on a postage-stamp sized lot, but what do you expect for a measly million bucks? Just rent nice furniture that you cannot afford so your neighbors will not know that even working two jobs you are sliding deeper and deeper into debt. When it all collapses, you can declare bankruptcy and stick everyone else with the unpaid bills. Btw, the health clubs are a great place to mee superficial, cosmetically-altered women who will jump your bones until you marry them, at which point they will start boinking the pool boy and maxing out what is left of your credit. You will, of course, be responsible for her two children, one from a previous marriage, another attributed to you but actually fathered by her spiritual advisor from the new age of the orbiting crystal church. The boy will wind up as a very unattractive girl with a tattoo of Al Gore on one arm and Elaine Degeneres on the other while the girl will bench 350 and become the first bull dyke to win the Stihl Chainsaw Toughman challenge by biting the head off her opponent, an aging Ric Flair. Eventually, you will be evicted from the fleabag apartment you have been relegated to by unbearable mortgages and women, and wander the streets a broken shattered man, mumbling incoherently to yourself about conspiracies and wiping people's windshields at the stoplight for Sterno money, but you will look back on your California days and say, dang! it was a great run while it lasted!

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:38:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Sacrifice everything to stay in a trendy California zip code & keep an illegal-alien detailed Lexus in your driveway. Sure, the construction of the house may be shit and it may sit on a postage-stamp sized lot, but what do you expect for a measly million bucks? Just rent nice furniture that you cannot afford so your neighbors will not know that even working two jobs you are sliding deeper and deeper into debt. When it all collapses, you can declare bankruptcy and stick everyone else with the unpaid bills. Btw, the health clubs are a great place to mee superficial, cosmetically-altered women who will jump your bones until you marry them, at which point they will start boinking the pool boy and maxing out what is left of your credit. You will, of course, be responsible for her two children, one from a previous marriage, another attributed to you but actually fathered by her spiritual advisor from the new age of the orbiting crystal church. The boy will wind up as a very unattractive girl with a tattoo of Al Gore on one arm and Elaine Degeneres on the other while the girl will bench 350 and become the first bull dyke to win the Stihl Chainsaw Toughman challenge by biting the head off her opponent, an aging Ric Flair. Eventually, you will be evicted from the fleabag apartment you have been relegated to by unbearable mortgages and women, and wander the streets a broken shattered man, mumbling incoherently to yourself about conspiracies and wiping people's windshields at the stoplight for Sterno money, but you will look back on your California days and say, dang! it was a great run while it lasted!

Damn thats good.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:52:04 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Oh, c'mon, you couldn't write something more vivid?  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:01:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:11:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:16:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Not to sound too judgemental, but it seems that you have other issues to deal with that a move will simply not solve. Yes, perhaps a change of scenery will help at first, but then what? I hope everything works out for you whatever you decide.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:16:43 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Seriously, dude...move to Florida...I'll take hurricanes over earthquakes any day...at least you can see them coming...
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:44:23 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I guess I don't have to write my autobiography now...

CW
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:45:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Getting out of NJ was the best thing I ever did (after marrying my wife).

It seems CA and NJ are racing each other to see which one can out gun control the other.

Get out as soon as you can!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Most of my issues with this state are with politics and the ex.  Which go away once I leave.   The job is a long story, but let's say I took it with something else in mind besides getting divorced.  

For reference, I pay $1050 a month.  in Rent.  on a 1 bedroom apartment here.  This is "not bad" for rent, in my area.  House prices are more reasonable elsewhere.  Other than housing, the COL isn't significantly different, though.   The job market is sslllloooooowwwwwlly coming around here.  Remember, something like 80% of all unemployed folks laid off in CA were in the SF Bay area over the last 5 years.  So there is a great deal of competition for positions out here right now on jobs I want.  Two of the places I'm looking at going are estimated to be top ten for job growth over the next five years.  I've seen more jobs I'm qualified for in other areas that locally.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#30]
P.E.,

We'd be glad to have you in Colorado.

I know (represent) some techie types, and could probably pass your resume around if needbe.   (Just finished reviewing a big contract one of them is getting into with Sun, so they may have some employment needs in the near future).

SCREW Kommiefornia.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Move to NY.

Nothing against Balzac, but NNNNOOOOOOOOO.   That's the place I escaped from.  (Just call me Snake Plisken).    (NYC is a nice place to visit, I wouldn't want to move back.  However, upstate and parts of Long Island are very nice. )

That's what I meant.  NY is a large state and I'm on Long Island.  I remember PE was doing work on LI and it'd be nice to add a good member to the Calverton crew.  Plus, if he moved out, I'd guarantee him a dinner on me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:57:28 AM EDT
[#33]
get the fuck out of there already.........................look what it's already done to you, you damned wine cooler sipping pantywaist!!!  

all hail the Lone Star State!!!!!!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top