Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2004 7:47:33 PM EDT
I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who did not let their kids play with toy guns. My 10 year old still likes to play with them.

Bomber

Edited to insert the obvious "Toy".
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Holy crap, finger on the trig and everything.  Is that a HiPoint?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, thebomber, but guns aren`t toys.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, my have had guns since they were babies. They've had various water pistols, rubber band guns etc.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who did not let their kids play with guns. My 10 year old still likes to play with them.

www.darlynn.com/albums/album01/Morgan.sized.jpg

Bomber

I don't allow myself to play with guns. Guns are serious business.

Maybe you mean toy guns??
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Demon spawn!!!

She have her momma's eyes?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#6]
There are no toy guns in my household.  The only exception to this rule is water guns during the summer.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#7]
My boys are grown now, but when they were younger, they played with toy guns.

They also used to go out in the yard and beat the snot out of each other with huge foam bats.

They managed to survive somehow.

Edit to add, your daughter is cute, but those glowing eyes are...scary.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Play with weapons ......... NO

But I have taught my children how to handle them without fear while retaining
the respect , and an understanding of the potential danger that can occur when
you forget the respect part .
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Demon spawn!!!

She have her momma's eyes?

Actually she's a robot.

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#10]
not any more, I get her out to practice with the real thing about 1x / month
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:01:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Play with weapons ......... NO

But I have taught my children how to handle them without fear while retaining
the respect , and an understanding of the potential danger that can occur when
you forget the respect part .

So have I.  That's why there are no toy guns in the house to play with, because the first thing a kid does with a toy gun is break at least one of the rules of gun safety.  I don't have them in the house so there's no contradiction.  "Treat every gun as if it's loaded" means exactly that.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#12]
He didn't ask if you let your kids play with your M-forgery.

He asked if you let them have a normal childhood. You know, Cops and Robbers, Cowboys and Indians.

Can you see the difference?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:05:56 PM EDT
[#14]
No...I bought them real guns

SGtar15
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:06:48 PM EDT
[#15]

...not since that crazy neighbor lady videotaped my kid playing with my pistol by the trunk while the old lady and me drank a few brewskis and popped a few caps.  At least I'm out of jail now and got the kids back.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:11:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
...not since that crazy neighbor lady videotaped my kid playing with my pistol by the trunk while the old lady and me drank a few brewskis and popped a few caps.  At least I'm out of jail now and got the kids back.

Are you serious??

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:15:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you serious??

Smileys tend to mean it's a joke.  It's a reference to a news story from a few months ago.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Of course. In fact, just this past week I bought my almost 5 year-old and 3 year-old their first toys guns:

The AR type semi-auto rubber band rfile is very nice. The cork pop gun is cool too. When playing with the toys they are under orders to never point or shoot at the dog or humans and must maintain proper trigger and muzzle disipline at all times. The have a great time shooting their toy dinosours and action figures.

Once I am certain that they understand the difference between their toy guns and my (and their) real firearms, I will allow cowboys and indians, cops and robbers, etc... However, I will NEVER EVER permit any "realistic" looking toy guns, i.e. AirSoft in my home.

However, note that I had already given my almost 5 year old his first 22 LR (which used to belong to me and my stepdad (before me), which he hasn't yet to fire.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I occasionally let my 4 year old use an airsoft pistol that I've had laying around ever since the boss said we couldn't have wars at work anymore. He knows not to point it at anyone (or the dog) and is really good about it. I can't wait till hes old enough to pop off a couple rounds from the old .22
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#20]
my 3 y/o( 4 in 2 months) has 3 training guns (TOYS)..that we work on fundamentals of safety with. the  training guns are kept in the safe with the regular guns.

these are not a toy to play with. he also knows guns can hurt and kill things.

we werent allowed toy guns as kidz..since like my son..we had real ones..that just needed to be loaded and shot.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:45:07 PM EDT
[#21]
No toy guns in my house either. I'll take the kids shooting anytime they want though.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:37:12 PM EDT
[#22]
she looks like shes busting someone from the '70's
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:14:23 AM EDT
[#23]
I grew up "playing" with toy guns in the 50's when it was still PC to do so.  They made some good stuff back then.  Mattel and others put out alot of "Western" pistols that really look like the real thing.  Anyone remember the Fanner Fifty?

My son played with toy guns as did the rest of the kids in the neighboorhood.  That was in the 70's.  When he was ten I took him to the range and show him how to shoot a .22 rifle, 20 ga shot gun and a .38 revolver.  At ten his wasn't into toys anymore and started playing the guitar and got into sports.  That was about the same age I learned about firearms at summer came by an NRA certified instructor who was also an ex Marine.

My son joined the Army and has just finished serving a tour in Iraq.  He's 35 yrs old and has two children.   I bought my grandaughters a GI Joe doll to "protect" their Barbie Dolls.   The GI Joe Doll came with a little M16M4.  

My point.............both myself and son turned out  OK, normal, good people, and still played with toy guns when we were kids.   We had enough sense to know the difference between toys and the real thing.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:37:36 AM EDT
[#24]
I agree with Rambosky 100%!

I played with toy guns and my kids also play with them.  I have also shown them real guns and they know the difference between the two and they are also aware of the gun safety rules.  They also know they are not to handle real guns without me or wife with them.  I've also taught my kids the Eddie Eagle rules on how to act if they run into a real un out side the home.

Here's my youngest son with a SBR he created without filing the proper paperwork...

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:29:15 AM EDT
[#25]
He's cute....that's pretty funny also (SBR).

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:35:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:42:03 AM EDT
[#27]
me 3
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:06:45 AM EDT
[#28]
I try not too as it tends to create bad habits. I rather him play with real ones.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:32:46 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
me 3
sio.midco.net/tjt/henrys/henryboys.jpg

Meltdown,

Are those Chipmunk .22 rifles?  If so where di find the synthetic stocks?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:51:41 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
me 3
sio.midco.net/tjt/henrys/henryboys.jpg

Meltdown,

Are those Chipmunk .22 rifles?  If so where di find the synthetic stocks?

My daughter and I saw one three weeks ago at an Acedmy sporting goods store in Plano.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:46:45 AM EDT
[#31]
I gave my daughters some toy guns, but they pointed them at each other. I thought they were learning unsafe gun handling habits, so I took them away.

Then I gave them a Hot Wheels set, and they were driving the cars on the wrong side of the road and crashing the cars into each other. I thought they were learning unsafe driving habits, so I took them away.

Then I bought them some Barbies. When I saw them changing the clothes on their Barbies, I thought that they might get used to undressing other females and become lesbians, so I took them away.

Now all they have is coloring books and crayons, but they have been told that they have to color things correctly or they will be taken away. I don't want them coloring the grass purple or the sky green, because they might start to think that the world really looks like that.

I just don't trust my kids to know the difference between play and real life.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Yes and I build the toy guns for them. They are getting to be real tough on toys so I am going to get them blue or red guns when I redeploy. They shouldn't be able to break those. If anybody mistakes them for real, they must be color blind.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#33]
My kids (all three) have had chipmunks since age 7 (Alan, so he's had it 5 years), 6 (Arden, so 3 years) and 5 (Anna, one year).

They're made just down the road in Lewiston, Idaho. They sell black painted wood stocks for them, I've never seen a synthetic stocked one (just because I haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist)

Edit: Here's some shots.

Alan used the XM15 to take several boomers last year at the 385 yard line using 60 grain VMAX black hills 223.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:26:46 PM EDT
[#34]
I have taught, and will continue to teach my children, that guns are dangerous and designed to do one thing; put holes in things. I have tried to educate them as best I can. Firearms are fun, but have a purpose. The kids attitudes have a lot to do with whether it is an enjoyable expeirence or a painful/lethal one. Toys are fun, but the mentality that goes with them can be dangerous. I have to keep in mind that my kids are growing up in a vastly different world than I did, exposed by the mass media to more things yet done so with the '30 minute mentality'. I think what I am trying to say is I don't want my kids to fall into a habit when playing with 'toys' that carries over in their thinking when they are exposed to the real McCoy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top