Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2004 4:42:52 PM EDT
So, which kind of BBQ'er are you?  Do you let the grill cake up, or do you clean it off?

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#1]
clean, because I dont like black shit on my stuff
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you mean the whole grill?  I am in Texas.  My neighbor power sprays and poliches the whole damn thing.  I just use a wire brush on the rack cuz I don't wanna eat the black stuff.  And being in Texas I cook breakfast one in a while too so you gotta clean it.
I guess I'm a hick
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#3]
A proper grill is well seasoned, much like a cast iron skillet.  Not to be confused with "caked up with black shit".  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Do you mean the whole grill?  I am in Texas.  My neighbor power sprays and poliches the whole damn thing.  I just use a wire brush on the rack cuz I don't wanna eat the black stuff.  And being in Texas I cook breakfast one in a while too so you gotta clean it.
I guess I'm a hick

I'm talking about the "rack" part.  Who cares about the rest of the damn thing?!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I like a clean grill.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I guess I'm a hick

I'm talking about the "rack" part.  Who cares about the rest of the damn thing?!

Like I said this is Texas.  Folks here trailer their grill all painted the same color as their truck and shit.  They get in fistfights over who grills the best.  Just had to clarify.  And no, I don't eat the black shit.  But I do leave the grill alone cuz the Hickory and Mesquite smoke has "flavored" the inside
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I get mine good and hot and use a wire brush to clean off what doesn't burn off.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A proper grill is well seasoned, much like a cast iron skillet.  Not to be confused with "caked up with black shit".  

+1 , Its black but its clean and oiled
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I soak the charcoal with lighter fluid with the BBQ grill in place, then I light it up.
Burns off the crud from the last meal, then scrub it with the wire brush, then wipe it down with wet paper towels, then apply a light coat of olive oil to the grill, then BBQ.
Repeat next time.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Black shit brushed off just before cooking.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:17:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Black shit brushed off just before cooking.

+1

MMMM grilled food.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#13]
You guys are a bunch of lighweights.  That black stuff adds character to the food.  Thats the purpose of it.  If you don't want the black stuff on your food, use the stove.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I wire brush the crud first, it's not clean as a whistle but it's not caked up either.
Gas grills suck ass
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I barbeque three or four times a week and since we don't do weather that's year round. I would spend more time cleaning the black junk then eating. I do pre-heat the thing so that whatever has crawled into the barbeque grill to eat that black stuff is added to the flavoring of the night's meal.

Ants, it's what's for dinner!

Mouse, its whats for dinner.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I barbeque three or four times a week and since we don't do weather that's year round. I would spend more time cleaning the black junk then eating. I do pre-heat the thing so that whatever has crawled into the barbeque grill to eat that black stuff is added to the flavoring of the night's meal.

Ants, it's what's for dinner!

home.comcast.net/~royamaral/mouse.JPG
Mouse, its whats for dinner.

Bird
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Black shit.

AB
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#18]
It's not "black shit," it's a VERY DESIREABLE PATINA.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
It's not "black shit," it's a VERY DESIREABLE PATINA.  

black shit is a carcinogen

Origianally Posted By DPeacher:
A proper grill is well seasoned, much like a cast iron skillet. Not to be confused with "caked up with black shit"

thats how mine is
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top