Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2004 3:10:57 PM EDT
Hey guys , so here is the deal I am looking for a all in one gun for the range . CCW , home defence.
I have shot both and liked them both , see here is the thing I want to be able to know it will go bang when I pull the trigger , and Accurate as well.  For CCW I might need a gun thats not to wide I think because im not a big guy , im about 5.6 well all most 5.7 and 145 lb.  The 1911 comes in different shapes and sizes like   full size or the 4 inch version and compact , ect. Also different brand names Kimber or springfield and others.

I was going to post this in the handguns forum but I think more of you would see it here on general,
so what do you guys think? The Pros an Cons please or any info you have would be nice.

Thanks to any of you who take a little time out to help me

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:20:14 PM EDT
[#1]
im going to bump this , im going to get one or the other in a few weeks once the money is in order.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#2]
This is not a very difficult question....do you buy a foreign pile o shit or do you buy some home made, home grown megapower?  The 1911 is the only way to go.  Anything else is just catering to the Eurotrash economy.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I have several Kimbers In full steel and polymer.  Love them all.
1911 is the way to go.  Plus a .45 is gonna stop the bad guy!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd get the 1911.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know about all the euro trash stuff but the 1911 is the way to go.  I don't see why you need a heavy long pull on the first shot. Just learn to keep your finger off the trigger.

the same trigger pull everytime is going to be more accurate for most people.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:25:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd recommend the Sig for a guy your size.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:29:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Sig’s are very nice, more reliable and much more modern in design.  I think my colt gold cup is a very fine weapon.  I love the SIG P220!

Go ahead and roast me, but the 1911 is a beautiful piece of history.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok 1911 is what ill get , but what size I like the look Pro Carry II  or the springfield champion loaded. Full size or the 4 inch version , keep in mind my body type.

Thanks for the help guys lots of appreciation here
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:30:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Ok 1911 is what ill get , but what size I like the look Pro Carry II  or the springfield champion loaded. Full size or the 4 inch version , keep in mind my body type.

Thanks for the help guys lots of appreciation here

KIMBER
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'd recommend the Sig for a guy your size.

I thought the 1911 is thinner than most handgun out there , would that not be better?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:33:59 PM EDT
[#11]
What happened to the usual ar15 answer "get both!" I have both and they have their good and bad points. The 1911 feels better in my hand. I have the kimber pro carry, but the springfield v10 ultra compact rocks on the range. The kimber is lighter, but the springfield shoots better. John
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What happened to the usual ar15 answer "get both!" I have both and they have their good and bad points. The 1911 feels better in my hand. I have the kimber pro carry, but the springfield v10 ultra compact rocks on the range. The kimber is lighter, but the springfield shoots better. John

Yeah I know I was waiting for some one to say get both hehe , so how do you like that pro carry john?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:59:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Yeah I know I was waiting for some one to say get both hehe , so how do you like that pro carry john?

I like the pro carry a lot. When I first got it the slide would not lock back after the last round with the shooting star mag that came with the pistol. It worked fine with MEG GAR mags or usgi mags. Also it sent every fired case into my forehead. I sent it back to Kimber. When I took it to the range it only sent every 20th case into my forehead-I wear a hat now. The plunger tube fell off when I cleaned it. I ordered another from Brownells and had a local smith install it. After about 500 rounds it was smooth and reliable. I carry it often, my other cold weather carry is a SIG P239 in 357sig. BTW the shooting star mag now holds the slide back after the last round. John
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#14]
All this 1911 crap gets me. I have sold guns for a living for @ 15 years. In that time I have sold a huge amount of 1911's of various manufacturers, and configuration. The people that purchase them shoot them, but rarely carry them. As far as Government models go, people say they are too heavy or too big. As far as all those compacts go, people complain about recoil or that the grip is too short. Most of the time those people elect to carry a S&W J frame 38spl. or even a Kel Tec P-32 before they will strap on a 1911. More people carry alloy or polymer framed semi-autos,(double/single action or DAO), than single action 1911's. This is not just something special to this region or area. I have been all over just to find the same is true in the majority of locales.  If you question this just ask any gun savy Law Enforcement Officers what they prefer, or would prefer to carry off-duty. Not many will mention a 1911. Ask them again what the majority of private citizens are carrying CCW when they pull them over or have contact with them. Chances are that the 1911 will not be mentioned that much.  When it comes down to it get what you want, but put them all in your hand, and get the one that fits you best not everyone else!!!! Now you all have my permission to flame away!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:08:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Sig 226 is a large sidearm, but fine construction.  I own one.  I also own a Wilson 1911.

If I had to pick one, I would have no trouble saying 1911.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#16]
To be fair to SIGs, and I have owned 6 of them, they all functioned perfectly right out of the box. The 1911s need to be broken in. I carry a Kel Tec P32 in shorts weather but as soon as it cools off I carry a Kimber. John
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Hey guys , so here is the deal I am looking for a all in one gun for the range . CCW , home defence.
I have shot both and liked them both , see here is the thing I want to be able to know it will go bang when I pull the trigger , and Accurate as well.  For CCW I might need a gun thats not to wide I think because im not a big guy , im about 5.6 well all most 5.7 and 145 lb.  The 1911 comes in different shapes and sizes like   full size or the 4 inch version and compact , ect. Also different brand names Kimber or springfield and others.

I was going to post this in the handguns forum but I think more of you would see it here on general,
so what do you guys think? The Pros an Cons please or any info you have would be nice.

Thanks to any of you who take a little time out to help me

My two cents worth is get the Sig-unless you're gonna devote countless hours to training yourself to knock the thumbsafety off the 1911, while not putting too much pressure on the trigger.
I personally couldn't carry a 1911 for personal protection, simply because as a young LEO I trained on double action revolvers, then transitioned to DA autos.
I know myself well enough to know that in a crises I'll go to instinct, and I'm not wired to have the small muscle nimbelness to activate the 1911.
The 1911 is a great gun, but it seems like so many of em need tweaking to make them right.
When the SHTF, I want a gun that all I have to do is point and pull the trigger.  YMMV
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:19:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#19]
1911 will last 50 years  of hard use, or more, with routine maintainance. 100 years or more if you do a complete rebuild.  Some of the USMC's MEU-Soc pistols are built on frames from WW2 and have over 100,000 rounds through them.

the Sig will last about 20K rounds.

How often do you shoot and how long do you want the gun to last?

IMO the steel framed 5" 1911 in 45ACP, the BHP in 9mm, and the Glock 17 are the only handguns made that will last a lifetime of military or LE use.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I have two 1911s. in 45ACP, and I have a couple of Sig Sauer pistols both in .40 S&W. You can't go wrong by owning either. The 1911s strongpoint is its ruggedness and adaptablility. Everyone makes parts and add ons for John Moses Brownings gift to mankind. The Sigs strongpoint is its simplicity and reliabilty. I have abused the hell out of my Sigs, and they have not let me down yet. I shoot IDPA matches with my Sig P226 and P229 in .40 and I have found them to be utterly reliable even with the high round count. If there are any problems with Sig Sauer pistols I haven't experienced them yet. Hell! Do like I did and GET BOTH!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:59:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:the Sig will last about 20K rounds.

*cough*bullshit*cough

My 226 has well over 20K and runs just fine.  Other than a spring change, no work done.  Same as it was when it left the factory.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Sig 226, I love the factory trigger.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Kimber Pro CDP...My CCW one.

Kimber Custom CDP...MY newest one.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:14:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't have a 1911 so I can't comment on it but my Sig has never jammed in many many thousands of rounds fired.  I've left it filthy for months and it still won't jam.  It's certainly not a "Eurotrash pile of shit".
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:18:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#27]
both!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Both are great weapons, and I have both. But my choice is the Sig because a bigger bullet don't count for shit if you can't hit your target. I will be the first to admit I am not the best pistol shot, therefore I prefer to have more bullets in the gun to increase my chances of connecting. Plus, the Sig has the smoothest factory trigger of any handgun made.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:29:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I've owned a Glock 21 (good pistol, but kind of bulky), Beretta 96, several 1911's, etc. All I can tell you is there are a lot of good pistols out there-just find one you're comfortable with. For the past 4 years, I have carried my Kimber Ultra CDP and I have nothing bad to say about it. I have always been a BIG fan of the 1911. It's not the Holy Grail of defensive pistols (not sure there is one) but it works for me. Kimbers tend to be great right out of the box. Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:50:54 PM EDT
[#31]
1911. The one that says "bad motherfucker" on it.

AB
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Go with a Sig P220.  I have 2 of them and just love them.  Also what I carry for work.  Never had any problems with them and have put plenty of rounds through both.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I've got HKs and 1911s. The HK feels like a toy. I prefer the 1911.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks guys for the info , I will go to the gun shop this weekend and look at them some more. When I buy what ever I get ill post photos of my prize.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top