Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2004 12:28:39 PM EDT
I can't find the thread, but I remember reading that Congress is back in session next week.  Can anybody verify this?  If so, I am going to spend some time this weekend preparing one last barrage of faxes, emails, letters, etc.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:29:18 PM EDT
[#1]
yes on the 7th and we be in session for 4 days I think
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, they'll be in session from noon Monday, presumably through Friday.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Just enough time to fuck up my birthday.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Well then, no time for complacency.  Are you with me, boys?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well then, no time for complacency.  Are you with me, boys?

WHO THE FUCK YOU CALLING A BOY?....BOY!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Is that noon Tuesday? (Labor Day Monday)
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
They'll be in session from Tuesday the 7th to Friday the 10th, then again on the 13th.

A full 5 days before the sunset.

Do they start before 12:00:00:001 AM on the 13th?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that noon Tuesday? (Labor Day Monday)

WHOOPS! You nailed it, PP. How could I forget the THREE DAY WEEKEND!?!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:21:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Brady Campaign is planning to stage a last-ditch call in on September 9th. Let's make sure that they aren't the only ones calling in...

www.jointogether.org/gv/news/alerts/reader/0,2061,574471,00.html
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Brady Campaign is planning to stage a last-ditch call in on September 9th. Let's make sure that they aren't the only ones calling in...

Hell Yeah!  It's On! hug.gif
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:28:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
They'll be in session from Tuesday the 7th to Friday the 10th, then again on the 13th.

A full 5 days before the sunset.

No, No No!!!  How many times do we have to repeat this?  The ban ends on Sunday night 9/12 at midnight!

There are FOUR working days for Congress to pass a ban.  Tuesday 9/7, Wednesday 9/8, Thursday 9/9 and Friday 9/10.  

If they don't pass a ban by the close of business on Friday the 10th, IT ABSOLUTELY MUST END ON MIDNIGHT SUNDAY.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll make a call and send an e-mail.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

There are only a few days until the assault weapons ban expires on September 13, and our nation will face a new era of criminal and terrorist attacks with assault weapons unless President Bush keeps his campaign promise and gets the law renewed. During his campaign in 2000, President Bush pledged to renew this law. But so far he has done nothing to prevent military style weapons like AK-47s and UZIs from flooding back into our neighborhoods.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:34:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Arrrggh!

Its fax time folks... don't let the commies win one.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

What a bunch of morons...ya gotta love how they try to play the "terrorist" angle...whatever...hmmm...how many "assault weapons" did the 9/11 hijackers use???  I rest my case...
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:09:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Guys, I swear I read the AWB was extended. It was in the Stars and Stripes while I was in Kuwait in Feb or Mar. ??? They said it was a compromise between making it a law and letting it sunset. I want it to go away as bad as any of you. ??? any thoughts? (other than i'm full of shit)
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Guys, I swear I read the AWB was extended. It was in the Stars and Stripes while I was in Kuwait in Feb or Mar. ??? They said it was a compromise between making it a law and letting it sunset. I want it to go away as bad as any of you. ??? any thoughts? (other than i'm full of shit)

Nope. The closest they came was (barely) amending an extension to the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms bill. The sponsors of that bill then dropped support for it, and it was voted down by around 80-20 or so. The House passed a clean version of this bill. So, no renewal has even come close to making it out of either house of Congress.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#19]
hey, Bush couldn't/wouldn't Exec. order an extension would he?  Man, if that happens, as hard as a pill it would be to swallow, I'd vote for some obscure party like the Constitution party and would NEVER vote republican again.  I have 2 issues I consider with equal weight and I WON'T compromise on  Guns and Pro-life, I tell all I run into regardless of the consequences that they might think I'm a nut, but I note their name at that point.    OH,, also the 12th is my anniversary, so the sunset could be my wifes 6 year present to me.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
hey, Bush couldn't/wouldn't Exec. order an extension would he?  Man, if that happens, as hard as a pill it would be to swallow, I'd vote for some obscure party like the Constitution party and would NEVER vote republican again.  I have 2 issues I consider with equal weight and I WON'T compromise on  Guns and Pro-life, I tell all I run into regardless of the consequences that they might think I'm a nut, but I note their name at that point.    OH,, also the 12th is my anniversary, so the sunset could be my wifes 6 year present to me.  

Gad, why would he be stupid enough to try that?  Congress made the law with a sunset clause.  Only Congress can extend it or let it die.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

If he cared enough to try something as ridiculous as that, he would have put a lot more pressure on Congress to pass it. But he doesn't care - he seems to want to kill the whole issue as quietly as possible.

Oddly enough, the gun grabbers have figured out that he doesn't really want to renew it, but some of us still haven't.

And Happy Anniversary too!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

monday is labor day.  plus they are usually off monday and friday.

so worst case they will be in session tues thru fri. but more likely tues thru thurs.

its over
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#23]
It will expire, it would have to go through the congress, the house, then I think committee, and finally the Prez.   The only thing ever passed that fast is probably a pay raise for themselves.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#24]
this should be the biggest week of email, faxes, phone calls to the senate and your reps. from our side in the past 10 years.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:42:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:53:07 AM EDT
[#26]
From another message board... No responses to it, look count is still low. I am watching it and will hollar if it needs attention.

Children's Defense Fund Action Council

Action Alert: National Call-In Day on Assault Weapons Ban Next Week

If President Bush and the Congress fail to act, the Assault Weapons Ban will expire on September 13, 2004. We are asking you to take one more important step to keep children safe from these weapons designed to kill as many people as possible as quickly as possible.

Next week advocates across the country will join together for a National Call-In Day on Thursday, September 9th. On that day, please contact President Bush and urge him to call on Congress to renew the Assault Weapons Ban. We will send you an email reminder, including the call-in number, late Wednesday so you will have all the information you need Thursday morning to contact President Bush!

Thank you for all of your efforts to help renew the Assault Weapons Ban and keep these deadly weapons from flooding our streets!

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:37:16 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, the way it is writen it has to sunset. And even if they don't get anything passed before it does, what's to keep them from passing another one on Sept. 15th? Or in Dec. or next year?

nothing..... but if they dont pass it before 0001 hours on 9/13/04, and pass it the next day, EVERYTHING before that will become pre-ban including LEO rifles and magazines.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:41:24 AM EDT
[#28]
I added the "Support the AWB" website to my list of favorites to keep the numbers needed for phone calls . I will be getting all my friends to call too. YOU GUYS DO THE SAME!!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:43:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Oh ment to say I got the numbers to call in support ENDING the AWB. In case someone read too much into my first post. Take care. Coondog
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#30]
It would have to go through BOTH houses, any differences in language ironed out, everyone would have to agree, final thing voted on by both houses, and then the presidend would have to sign it.

No way, Jose!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top