Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2004 10:45:02 AM EDT
I'm up here at the University of North Dakota and need to prep for +20 below winters so I'm wondering who makes a coat that can keep me warm during this time.  I had a Columbia but it hardly did the job back home in WI.  
Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:47:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Something down filled.  North Face makes a nice one.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#2]
mountain hardwear, north face or any of the companies that make cold weather mountaineering type gear would be a good place to start looking
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:51:33 AM EDT
[#3]
redsoldier sells several nice military style winter coats. I have the volunteer coat, it is rediculously warm and thick, but still easy to move around in. It even has a secret pocket for concealed carry! It's not too expensive either. I love mine!

www.redsoldier.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=27

and while you are at it, get a pair of winter crossing boots. these are the best boots I have ever owned, they are super warm and comfortable.

www.redsoldier.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=177

I'm not a spokesperson for redsoldier, I just really like their stuff.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Carhart has one out that i'm lookin at getting......have also owned a Browning parka that ROCKED.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:52:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Cabelas, Down filled with Gore-Tex. Very liberal return policy. Catalog has them out but the stores won't have them for a few weeks.
FYI: Minnesota is a clothing tax-free state
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Filsons wool coats. I use them for hunting.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#7]
North Face makes some good ones...
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Filson, there is no substitute. You buy it once, you pass it to your kids,
I own several, I can recomend :

Double Mac cruiser : www.filson.com/83.HTM

Tin cloth Packer coat : http://www.filson.com/61TN.HTM

Homepage : www.filson.com/index.html

"Might as well have the Best!"

You can thank me in 10 years
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Get a carhart arctic with the big hood attachment, a good scarf or facemask, and you're set.

Recently I switched from Carhart to a filson oiled cotton coat with a wool liner. Very nice, but a little $$.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:07:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
mountain hardwear, north face or any of the companies that make cold weather mountaineering type gear would be a good place to start looking

Mountain Hardware is what I wear skiing.  Great stuff.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#13]
a black carhart
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:12:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Carhartt is heavy and sucks major balls when it gets wet.
Layers, layers, layers
NO COTTON sweat and freeze!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I've been pretty impressed with my M65 field jacket with a liner...but then I normally never hang out anywhere it's less than 30 or so.  Probably want something a big better for when it gets really cold.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:17:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Carhartt is heavy and sucks major balls when it gets wet.
Layers, layers, layers
NO COTTON sweat and freeze!!!

Linemen seem to do just fine working long days in north dakota winters using carhartt bibs and coats.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#18]
IF YOU'VE GOT THE $$$

Otherwise Carhartt coats and Pendleton shirts.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I travel the country for a living, my personal favorite is a winter clothing system which includes a hooded waterproof outer shell, nylon/gortex blend, thinsulate isulated, and hooded fleece remvoeable lining.  Cabellas, Northface, Columbia........all are good brands.   I buy the Cabellas just cause it's typically a little less expensive.

Tj

the old school version of that:

www.filson.com/

water/wind resistant oiled cotton shell, wool insulation ... add a good wool hat and scarf and there you go.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Red_Beard is right, get a Carhart. Artic lining is the black lining. Get the longer one along with the hood he mentioned. I use mine or for really cold or wet days my military Gore-tex. The Extreme Cold Weather System (ECWS) parka. Wear a fleece or a hooded sweat shirt underneath because the parka is just a shell.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:24:39 AM EDT
[#21]
It's a bit nippy up here in the winter....I have an LL Bean and it does me fine.  Very light, resists the wind etc...as long as I wear a sweatshirt under it I am fine to 20 Below Far.  

They ship very fast...I live in VT and they are in Maine sop I get it < 48 hrs.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=3523&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&feat=sdp345

ETA- I've got the Rugged Ridge Parka, it may not look that warm but it really is. By the way, got to have a hood, you can put a hat on and pull the hood up over the hat and you will be good to go.  Let me teall yah 20 below is cold, add some wind and it is VERY cold -30 plus!!!  

If your from WI, then you know what I am talking about.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Patagonia.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:26:09 AM EDT
[#23]

Story #1 (Filson Wool)
"I was in a severe airplane crash while working as a guide in Alaska. I suffered a broken leg, lower back and I also had several fingers nearly torn off which were broken on my right hand. In that condition I laid in the snow for eleven hours at 25 degrees. If it hadn't been for your Filson coat which kept me warm and dry, I wouldn't be writing this letter today. Considering my injuries, I would have certainly died of hypothermia had it not been for your fine product."

Robert Wener
Delta Junction, AK

Story #17, Filson Mackinaw Wool Pants (Style 89, Style 87)
At a trade show a customer told us a story about himself we thought you'd enjoy hearing...

While deer hunting alone in Saskatchewan in -50 degree F temperatures this hearty 72-year-old fell through a patch of ice into a creek bed. Soaked up to his chest and knowing he was 3 miles from his car, his first thought was "I'm done for." But not only did he make it back to his car, he was surprised to find he wasn't too uncomfortable. He feels sure a big reason he survived was, despite being soaked, his Mackinaw Pants kept him warm during the long hike out. He had always been an advocate of wool, but from that point on he was a true believer
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Carhart.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#25]
So who makes a good winter coat?

Bears
Wolves
Sheep
Beavers
Raccoons
Coyote
Mink
Rabbits
Bobcat
Cats

GM  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
redsoldier sells several nice military style winter coats. I have the volunteer coat, it is rediculously warm and thick, but still easy to move around in. It even has a secret pocket for concealed carry! It's not too expensive either. I love mine!

www.redsoldier.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=27

and while you are at it, get a pair of winter crossing boots. these are the best boots I have ever owned, they are super warm and comfortable.

www.redsoldier.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=177

I'm not a spokesperson for redsoldier, I just really like their stuff. hr

yeah good luck-I tried to order a camouflage coat and jacket from them last November-shits charged my credit card and sent me the pants in May, never got the jacket.

Insulated Carharts are pretty warm, not as nice looking as the more expensive REI type coats; they are construction/farm jackets, but they are extremely warm and durable. There are plenty of inexpensive down coats around, LL Bean is not the cheapest but they do have some relatively inexpensive down coats and have an good return policy.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:42:53 PM EDT
[#27]
North Face.  The best you can get.  If it's good enough to the top of Everest and back, it's good enough for you.  Mine has gotten me through a lot of cold Pittsburgh winters.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Catherine Bell
Rebecca Romijn(sp?)
Moxie

And a host of others!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Go Carhart.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#30]
US NAVY PEA COAT [a short woolen jacket worn by seamen] and wear layers under it for extra warmth

a PEA COAT also looks very stylish, or you could get the longer version that goes below the knees like a trench coat, looks great with civillian clothing
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I've been pretty impressed with my M65 field jacket with a liner...but then I normally never hang out anywhere it's less than 30 or so.  Probably want something a big better for when it gets really cold.

JEEEZ,,30 degrees! sorry to bust your balls
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top