Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2004 7:49:39 AM EDT
My wife has a sister in Fort Myers, FL.  They are still recovering from the previous hurricane, and now they are going to be hit again.  I realize that they are on the opposite coast, but I imagine that they will at the very least lose power again.  My wife told me last night that her sister had told her that their generator had quit working last week.  They are pretty decent people, but are currently limited on their funds.

It may seem strange to many of you, but God told me this morning to send them my generator.  I haven't been forced to use it in a couple of years, and can always buy another one in the future.  Admittedly, I am somewhat stingy with the stuff I have worked for, but I can't refuse to send this.  I don't really even care for these people, but God told me to do it.  Those of you who know what I am saying, KNOW what I am saying.

Can anyone tell me if UPS or FedEx will ship something this heavy?  I am thinking no.  Will this thing need to be crated up in some manner, or can I just drop it off at a local freight trucking terminal?  

Just trying to be obedient here.

Thanks,

Cope  

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:51:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Dunno if your going to be able to do much at all Aiport closes at noon today.  Can you try to troubleshoot the genniy they have.  I think short of driving there yourself, your not gonna send any relief in time.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:05:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I figure with Labor Day falling this Monday, it would probably be mid week before they would receive it.  Guess they'll just have to tough it out for a few days.  Maybe Frances will veer north of their location, and they won't need it until the next storm.  How long is power typically out after a disaster of this magnitude?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:07:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Power will probably be down for a week at least.  There is just no telling with thee things.  Not to mention all the tornadoes they spin off.  I just hope them and everyone in the path is safe and makes it through.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:19:30 AM EDT
[#4]
FYI:  Most carriers will require you to remove the oil (and fuel of course) prior to packing it up.   If you do ship it make sure that have or can get oil and fuel at their end.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:38:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Excellent point.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:39:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

FYI:  Most carriers will require you to remove the oil (and fuel of course) prior to packing it up.   If you do ship it make sure that have or can get oil and fuel at their end.

Yep, that's your biggest challenge.

How about mail ordering them a new one?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top