Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2004 7:41:19 AM EDT
I had Lasik surgery done yesterday. I feel good, vision better than 20/20. Although still a blury at times but that should clear up over the next few days.
Yesterday they gave me a valium and led me into where they do the surgery. They laid me down and placed the laser machine-thing over head. And tape my eye lids shut. the the doctor placed a plastic eye cover over my eyes and began the procedure. Several eye drops and then the laser began to cut. I could hear and smell something burning, perfectly normal. They managed to do both eyes in about 15 minutes.
I took a nap when I got home and found it hard to keep my eyes open when I awoke later that night. But that too is normal.
Went back today for a follow up, and everything looks fine so far. There's a good chance I'll get 20/15 vision, not bad for someone who's had 20/400 for about 20 years!
..Anyway I bought a cool set of shades and will now try to loose some weight.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:44:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats on the new eyes!
My eyes have gotten bad...but I am unsure about the surgery.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:45:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Congrats! You will love your "new" eyes

As with all good things, make sure to keep them lubricated!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:45:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Who said that?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I had lasik done back in '97. Had 20/600 or something like that in both eyes, plus +3 diopters of astigmatism in both for 25 years. After the surgery I was 20/15 in both eyes, and the doc said I would probably have been able to read a 20/10 line on the chart if they had one. That held out for a couple of years. Now I am 20/20 in one eye, and 20/25 in the other. The only reason the other is below 20/20 is because of a tiny bit of astigmatism creeping back in there. But it's been stable for over 3 years. So for all practical purposes my eyes are still perfect after 7 years. I've thought about a free "touch-up", but it's not worth it and they won't really even consider it with my vision still being so good. I am still VERY happy with it and recommend it to anyone whose eyes have stopped changing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:19:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm at 20/800, so I'm seriously considering this.

HOWEVER, they have some new procedures coming out that may obsolete lasik
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:23:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Congratulations!
I wonder what Lasik would do for me... I'm 20/20.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Congrats!  Wish I could afford it.  I'm sooo tired of wearing glasses.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm at 20/800, so I'm seriously considering this.

HOWEVER, they have some new procedures coming out that may obsolete lasik

+1  I can't even read the alarm clock in the morning without my glasses.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:21:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I had it done 2 years ago. My eyes are still 20/15. It's the shits!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:27:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I had it done 2 1/2 years ago. I'm 20/20 in one eye and 20/15 in the other.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Congrats! Glad to hear that everything came out ok. I've been thinking of getting it done because I also have that great 20:400 vision.  Any tips you can give?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:56:26 PM EDT
[#12]
A couple ?'s
I thought they taped your eyelids open, then cut the clear part to get at the eye?  Yes or No?
Is your vision 20/20 or whatever the next day, or does it take weeks to improve?

We'd really like to do this, but need some more info.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Enjoy - I did it 2 yrs. ago and am very happy with it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:36:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Today is +2 weeks for me. As of last Friday, I was 20/15 in both eyes and I've noticed a big improvement in my daytime vision. Dusk and light sources at night still suck - won't be too thrilled if that doesn't improve - but overall I'm happy with it.  

Use those Refresh/artificial tears by the frigging gallon! And congrats.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:04:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
A couple ?'s
I thought they taped your eyelids open, then cut the clear part to get at the eye?  Yes or No?
Is your vision 20/20 or whatever the next day, or does it take weeks to improve?

We'd really like to do this, but need some more info.

They do tape your eyelids open and cut the cornea to operate on the lens.
My vision was fantastic the day I left the eye doctor. Pretty light sensitive because they dialate your pupils.
My doc gave me some steriod drops for my eyes, they will itch like crazy afterwards. The dryness will continue for awhile. Use the drops to get some comfort. You must resist the urge to scratch them. That is bad!

I had mine by Baptist Eye Center in Knoxville Tn. Get the aftercare option. It's well worth it.
I paid a bit more to have mine done. I just couldn't go to the $299 per eye route. It's your eyes, it's all you get.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top