Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2004 7:17:13 AM EDT
My first kayak.  I'm taking it for a spin in the Chesapeake (near the Patuxent River) this afternoon.

www.liquidlogickayaks.com/products/sapphire.html
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:24:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice. Be safe, and wear a life jacket. If you don't know how to roll or get into your yak if you tip it whilst in water, then learn it. It could save your life. Cheers.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:25:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice kayak.  Now go get wet  

Hey, have you seen the HobieCat Mirage Outback?  The one with the pedals that move the fins?  I think that's a cool kayak, being that I plan to fish out of one and want to keep my hands free (not to mention I have wimpy girly arms )
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:45:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice one, definitely looks like it would fit the bill

My soon to be father-in-law builds kayaks and canoes by hand.. His are works of art, but if I was looking to do some serious paddling something like yours would be my choice simply due to the worry factor.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:45:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Excellent!  You'll have a lot of fun.  I started doing kayaking three years ag and now we've got 4 boats.  C_M
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:50:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Cool!!!!!!!

Wife and I are looking at getting kayaks.

Mostly for rivers with Class 1 and 2 rapids.

Currently looking at the Perception Swifty and the Dagger Blackwater.

Chimbo -

How'd you come to choose this one, and what's your planned use? Just lakes and ocean, or a little whitewater??

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:50:52 AM EDT
[#6]
That could come in handy going home from work if there are any more storms around here.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Chimbo -

How'd you come to choose this one, and what's your planned use? Just lakes and ocean, or a little whitewater??

I want it mainly for tidal paddling, and light whitewater.  I chose that model because it seemed to be a good in between, but I'm thinking I probably should have gotton the 12 foot model.  Oh well...I'm leaving in about an hour to head to Solomons, Maryland and I'll try it out.  I'll let you know how I like it.  Do any of the stores in your area do demo days?

I got the boat, comfy PFD, and a nice light paddle with decent ergos for $577.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:23:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice!!!. I bought my first yak 6 months ago...fishing and camping...got an Old Town Loon 138, use it 3-4 times per week. You will love it.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Nice!!!. I bought my first yak 6 months ago...fishing and camping...got an Old Town Loon 138, use it 3-4 times per week. You will love it.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/leadnbrass/misc.jpg

Wow...that looks really cool.  What are you holding, a radio?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:31:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/leadnbrass/misc.jpg

Wow...that looks really cool.  What are you holding, a radio?

Fishing pole.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:47:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Have two kayaks  and wife & I enjoy being out on the water. Great fun and relaxing.
Hope you enjoy!!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:59:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Make sure you hit up Evens Seafood.
MmMmmMmmMmmGood!

Quoted:
I'm leaving in about an hour to head to Solomons, Maryland and I'll try it out.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:24:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
My first kayak.  I'm taking it for a spin in the Chesapeake (near the Patuxent River) this afternoon.

www.liquidlogickayaks.com/images/products/Sapphire.gif

Congratulations, kayaking is FUN and especially HEALTHY.I, myself am a whitewater paddler, but those days will end soon, I will trade my creekboat for a sea kayak.

GODSPEED
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:48:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I buuilt two Chesapeake Light Craft kayaks,  http://www.clcboats.com/index.php, and they are great!  I have been out in two - three foot swells and find them to be fast and stable.  They can hold about a week's worth of gear.  However I set my wife's boat up for racing and did not make a front hatch on hers which weighs about 40 lbs.

http://img38.exs.cx/img38/7397/Scan62.jpg

Have fun and I suggest the following.

Don't go alone
Learn how to get back in.  Easiest way is to climb up over the stern.
Take a rolling course but plan on having to get back in.
Wear your PFD and have a whistle.
Wear bright clothes if you are out with the big boats.
Bring lots of water.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:59:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I thought it was just me.  I have a Loon 160T, fun if there are two of you and I just bought a Perception rec boat for goofing around.  No real whitewater stuff.   With my work schedule I have only got out twice this summer.

I never liked canoes,,,,,,,go figure.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Hey, have you seen the HobieCat Mirage Outback?  The one with the pedals that move the fins?  I think that's a cool kayak, being that I plan to fish out of one and want to keep my hands free (not to mention I have wimpy girly arms )

I have seen that...I wonder how well it works?  That would be great for fishing.  Hobie has some pretty cool stuff.  Have you seen their Tri-Foiler?  That thing is bad-ass.  They have some great video of it on their site.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:01:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
MmMmmMmmMmmGood!

Quoted:

Which one is Evan's Seafood?  Is it on the island?  The past few years I've just been staying at the house (Drum Point) and not really running around Solomon's.  In fact, Memorial Day weekend was the first time I had been to the Tiki Bar!  I had the best crab cakes I've ever had though at Stoney's (right next to Bunky's).
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Chimbo -

I want it mainly for tidal paddling, and light whitewater.  I chose that model because it seemed to be a good in between, but I'm thinking I probably should have gotton the 12 foot model.  Oh well...I'm leaving in about an hour to head to Solomons, Maryland and I'll try it out.  I'll let you know how I like it.  Do any of the stores in your area do demo days?

I got the boat, comfy PFD, and a nice light paddle with decent ergos for $577.

I grew up there. Sadly too many fucknut assholes from DC and PG county ruined it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I've got this one:
www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/models_pursuit.html

If I had it to do over, I wouldn't get a sit on one, but a sit in.  It's fast as hell, but horrible in anything resembling a minor rapid.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:04:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
MmMmmMmmMmmGood!

Quoted:

Which one is Evan's Seafood?  Is it on the island?  The past few years I've just been staying at the house (Drum Point) and not really running around Solomon's.  In fact, Memorial Day weekend was the first time I had been to the Tiki Bar!  I had the best crab cakes I've ever had though at Stoney's (right next to Bunky's).

Stoney's is okay but WAY to overpriced. Look up a little hole in the wall restraunt calleg "Gateway" off of Broomes Island Rd. It's on the right as you go down.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:05:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I buuilt two Chesapeake Light Craft kayaks,  http://www.clcboats.com/index.php, and they are great!  I have been out in two - three foot swells and find them to be fast and stable.  They can hold about a week's worth of gear.  However I set my wife's boat up for racing and did not make a front hatch on hers which weighs about 40 lbs.

img38.exs.cx/img38/7397/Scan62.jpg

Have fun and I suggest the following.

Don't go alone
Learn how to get back in.  Easiest way is to climb up over the stern.
Take a rolling course but plan on having to get back in.
Wear your PFD and have a whistle.
Wear bright clothes if you are out with the big boats.
Bring lots of water.

Wow, those are beautiful!

Thanks for the advice...I forgot to get a whistle.  I have a yellow PFD with lots of reflective strips on it.  Hopefully I'll be able to take a course before it gets too cold, otherwise I'll have to wait until the Spring.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:07:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I've got this one:

If I had it to do over, I wouldn't get a sit on one, but a sit in.  It's fast as hell, but horrible in anything resembling a minor rapid.

That looks pretty sweet.  How does it do in a bit of a chop?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:09:05 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stoney's is okay but WAY to overpriced. Look up a little hole in the wall restraunt calleg "Gateway" off of Broomes Island Rd. It's on the right as you go down.

Yeah, it was pretty damned expensive, but it was the only place I knew of where I could get good crab cakes to go.  I'm tellin' you though, they were the best I've ever had.  ALL meat, and no breading.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:18:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've got this one:

That looks pretty sweet.  How does it do in a bit of a chop?

Never done anything other than the James at Maidens or the flatwater part of the James between Boshers and Williams Island.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:32:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Nice yak. Do you have a sprayskirt or floatbags for it? I did some kayaking on the St. Lawrence River a few weeks back. Big water and lots of chop or boats/wakes can make it a necessity in some parts. There's nothing like finding out that you need to bilge when your back deck is half underwater.
I've ridden a good share of the middle James, as well as the length of the Rivanna River so far in mixed kayak and canoe.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:59:45 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Nice yak. Do you have a sprayskirt or floatbags for it? I did some kayaking on the St. Lawrence River a few weeks back. Big water and lots of chop or boats/wakes can make it a necessity in some parts. There's nothing like finding out that you need to bilge when your back deck is half underwater.
I've ridden a good share of the middle James, as well as the length of the Rivanna River so far in mixed kayak and canoe.

I ordered a spray skirt, and I'm going to get a bilge.  On Sunday I couldn't go out because there was a two to three foot chop, and too much water was getting in the boat.  It was really disappointing, because for the short time I was out there, I was having a blast.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:19:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Yep, my parents got two Old Town loon kayaks. They have been good for us on the Upper Delaware river, in class I, II, and probably around III rapids. Though the river is rarely more than class II, when it's fast and deep and the rapids get huge, lots of whitewater where there was none before even sometimes, then they take a lot of water on through their big cockpits.

In fact, I never capsized or sank in any other boat until the other weekend when the river was so fast and deep, that one huge rapid did me in. I got to the top of it, and the whitewater and currents just held me there and the water poured on the deck, onto the skirt and popped it off and then into the boat. So I got out, because the thing doesn't roll. Rapids are a hell of a lot less fun when you are in the water rather than on it.

It's still a good boat, but definately not meant for any serious whitewater. So I'm going to look for a new one that will track well and do fine in calm water, but still let me go up to higher classes of rapids.

Here's a few pictures from the day the fun boat just couldn't take it anymore, I even saw a raft flip over that day:

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
So I'm going to look for a new one that will track well and do fine in calm water, but still let me go up to higher classes of rapids.

]

Doesn't exist. Cuz I'm looking for the same boat.

I've researched my fool head off, and the only boats that fit that description are discontinued models. your choice is between whitewater OR tracking.

I do have a short list of discontinued models that I think will work. Nantahala Outdoor Center is having a flea market halloween weekend where I hope to find a used one in good condition.

Cool pics BTW

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Damnit! I know I was having a hard time looking last I did. I might end up settling for something that can take the whitewater, on the days I'd need it I can drift along pretty quick anyway.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Damnit! I know I was having a hard time looking last I did. I might end up settling for something that can take the whitewater, on the days I'd need it I can drift along pretty quick anyway.

Here's what I'm looking at far as dual purpose boats -

Prijon Hurricane
Dagger RPM Max
Perception overflow X
Prijon Canyon
Prijon Chopper
Perception Arc
Necky Jive 810
Prijon Tornado

(that's WEEKS of research you just got fer free  

All are between 9 and 11 feet, to give you some tracking, but smallish cockpits to help minimize swamping.

All can handle my fat 240 lb carcass.

Check out... www.kayaknews.ca/yak/boats/index.shtml for a listing of boats.

Same site has a bunch of used boats avaialble, as well as a comparison engine to quickyl compare models, many with pics.

Good hunting / paddling

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks a bunch!

Say, I've got an essay due soon...
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:10:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Back in the 80's I used to paddle an Aquaterra Chinook.
Great touring kayak for long trips.
Would sometimes paddle 30-40 miles a day on weekends.  
Had to stop when I injured my back.
I still have the kayak in my yard .
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
You need to bring your ass down here and surf that thing with me.

It's almost East Coast windsurfing season again!  Sweet!  I hear I missed a good windy day on Sunday while stuck in home improvement land.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#35]
If you want a good fishing, hunting, recreational and class I and II boat, get a Wilderness Systems Pungo. I have beat the hell out of mine with excellent results. It has a sharply defined keel which helps track in a cross wind and keeps you straight with little effort. It takes more effort to turn and maneuver in white water, but I've  worked it through class II and III with a half skirt. I even take my 80lb lab for rides in it. Excellent primary stability and nearly as good secondary stability.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

www.liquidlogickayaks.com/images/products/Sapphire.gif

Wow that is beautiful
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Suddenly I feel very cheap...

When I had my TBA, I was in a rented boat.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:29:02 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I would love to.  Have you ever done that?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:30:16 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's almost East Coast windsurfing season again!  Sweet!  I hear I missed a good windy day on Sunday while stuck in home improvement land.

I'm out of town this weekend, but we need to make a road trip soon and hook up with Steve.  BTW, are you going to the BRD this weekend?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, it was pretty damned expensive, but it was the only place I knew of where I could get good crab cakes to go.  I'm tellin' you though, they were the best I've ever had.  ALL meat, and no breading.

Gateway has carry out, even a drive up window sould you choose to stay in your car. They use 100% backfin lump crabmeat, now filler. Us MD folks (I'm in exile) are damn picky about our seafood, crab cakes especially.  The original Stoney's was/is down on Broomes Island.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:23:30 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm out of town this weekend, but we need to make a road trip soon and hook up with Steve.  BTW, are you going to the BRD this weekend?

Yup...
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Good for you, good luck and have fun.

I bought a boat early this past spring thinking I might use it  a half dozen or so times this season. Well last Sunday I passed the 40 times out mark and have just purchased a dry suit for winter boating.

+1 on all the safety advise. I finally cracked the secret that is rolling a 17' ocean kayak.

I boat mostly on the ocean (Gulf of Maine) but lots of lake outings as well.

Here is a shot from last Sunday of my wife and our national bird in the background;

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top