Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2004 6:53:36 AM EDT

I think the 94 ban only did 2 things ...

1) It absolutely put more AR type rifles "out on the streets" I wonder how many would of been sold with no ban over the past 10 years.

Does anyone have actualy numbers somewhere to show this ??

2) I think with the ban and the Internet people are now MORE aware at what is going on with our rights , and probably more people are geting involved in protecting them.

All in all I think the AWB hurt the anti-gun people more then it helped them.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:54:47 AM EDT
[#1]
It certainly didn't help reduce crime
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:55:52 AM EDT
[#2]
It made my pee pee hurt.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:56:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It made my pee pee hurt.

I don't think that was the ban...
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:57:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Effects?   I think its got every liberal in NYC fearing that after the sunset every corner will have a shop and go for assualt rifles.   I love it.   what a bunch of leemings!

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:58:54 AM EDT
[#5]
It made lots of ordinary people in to un-convicted fellons by ignoring the law
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:01:50 AM EDT
[#6]
It apparently reduced the thrusts per squeeze.

Can't wait to get those back!

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:03:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It made my pee pee hurt.

Yes it was.  I couldn't play with guns so I played with my pee pee too much.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:53:22 AM EDT
[#8]
it sent many into a stockpiling frenzy
not me though
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:03:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
It made my pee pee hurt.

Yes it was.  I couldn't play with guns so I played with my pee pee too much.

More information than we needed to know!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It made my pee pee hurt.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:06:22 AM EDT
[#11]

OVERALL EFFECTS OF THE 1994 "ASSAULT WEAPON" BAN:

1) There was a clear run-up in price on these firearms.

2) There was no measurable reduction in crimes committed with "assault weapons".

3) Most importantly - the AWB caused the Democrats to lose control of the House of Representatives in an enormous Republican Revolution.

And that's all.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:10:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Bill Clinton was the best gun salesman in the history of the US, as a result of the AWB.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:13:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Anecdotal Evidence: I was .30 Cal guy but once Slick Willy told me I couldn't have one, I bought three.
One of my friends bought one too for the same reason.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:19:43 AM EDT
[#14]
It probably is soley responsible for the huge increase in AR-15 sales in the last ten years.  In this country when you tell someone they can't have something that was legal, they will find a way to get it.

That's just the way we are.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I was only 9 years old when that bullshit law was passed so dont really remember
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:29:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
2) I think with the ban and the Internet people are now MORE aware at what is going on with our rights , and probably more people are geting involved in protecting them.

I don't know about that.  I have been really suprised how many shooters don't know anything about the Klinton Gun Ban (KGB).  Even those on some of the other shooting/ gun sites I go to, alot of them don't know much if anything about it.  Hell, one guy from Kali said that on the October 14th he was going out and buying 2 AR's when the ban got repealed.  He didn't even know about the state level ban.

I will tend to agree with you on that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:33:33 AM EDT
[#17]
The one good effect the ban had was  "It made us all better gunsmiths", Putting on & taking off muzzle brakes, Mounting barrels, removing FSBs; ALot of us got lots of practice because of the ban

Alot of us can now Mfg. an AR from an 80% lower in a couple of hours!  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:35:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
In this country when you tell someone they can't have something that was legal, they will find a way to get it.

That's just the way we are.

I don't agree.  I can't believe how many wimps here blindly followed the AWB!  It's discouraging.

Also some of the Kali guys here actually registered their ARs.    But at least they have their MOLON LABE hats on when they did it!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:36:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, for me personally, it didn't really affect me until 2001.
I was enlisted for the rest of it, so I got to play with evil black rifles anyway.

Wasn't till I got out that I was somehow reduced to a second class citizen/uncollared felon that it started to bite me in the ass. All of a sudden when my DD214 showed up, Navy Docs came by in big white vans to suck out all the fire arms training that the .mil had taught me. Haven't been the same since.

Now I lay awake at night and listen to the evil rifle whisper it's diabolical scheme in my ear!
I don't know if my will power can hold out much longer. It's trying to turn me into a homicidal maniac. Please Feinstein save me!

Well at least that's about the way the Dim's tell it anyway.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:44:26 AM EDT
[#20]
It for sure told me that gun control=ridiculous and that I needed to get an AR, a AK, a FAL, hell anything that was threatened and then "banned."

A huge number of hunters/shooters/etc. have no clue about the SAW ban.  Here's a little story.  

About three weeks ago a guy I work with asked me if I wanted to go shooting with him at one of his friend's farms.  Sure I said, I need to sight one of my rifles since I got a new scope for it and I'll bring my AR15.  This guy's (Mike) eyes lit up simply becaue he's never shot one before.  So Mike goes off the next day to setup the range at his friend's farm and his friend asks him what's up; then they start discussing me coming down.  I guess Mike's friend was worried that I would be bringing an AR15 to shoot at his range since as Mike told me later "the police use the range over on the next hill and would probably investigate full-auto fire."  

When Mike told me this I about hit the roof.  Mike's friend is another gunowner for hunting only kind of guy.  He assumed that since I owned an AR15 that it was a) full-auto and b) illegal in some way.  We ended up going shooting but the guy who owns the farm never came up to see us.  I wanted to educate him in the worst way.  Oh yeah, my friend Mike, is waiting for the expiration of the SAW ban to get a new Bushmaster.  He's hooked!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#21]
What did it do?  Nothing really.  Nothing I care about.

When it's gone... my collapsing stock goes on, and I will be able to buy standard capacity mags for my pistols and rifles.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:48:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Actually, the ban did three things. With the prevalence of muzzle brakes, most of us can't hear anymore. Thanks leftest do gooders.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#23]
What they hoped was it would soften up the sheeple to accept even MORE gun control.

It backfired.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:57:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I was only 9 years old when that bullshit law was passed so dont really remember

I was 11, so I've never got to shoot a preban. That might change if I can dig up the money for a new upper (college is too expensive).

Speaking of college, I should probably stop reading the forums in class...
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:03:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Another benefit of the AWB was the invigoration and creation of many pro-gun rights groups.  

Something else happened that had nothing to do with the AWB but in the end reshaped the entire gun control debate.  The internet boomed and our access to information grew exponentially.

The AWB was the final straw to many people in their opinion of the mass media.  We pro-gun citizens used the net to get our message out.  The huge flow of right wing info on the web can arguably be partially credited for the creation of FoxNews and SkyNews.  When Fox came into being, we conservatives embraced it.

The networks are slowly dying as opinion shapers.  Fox and the net are becoming more and more influential.

Also, the AWB forced us to become very good at debating not only gun issues, but other issues.

Guys, the internet has changed everything....and much of it for the better.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

1) It absolutely put more AR type rifles "out on the streets" I wonder how many would of been sold with no ban over the past 10 years.

Does anyone have actualy numbers somewhere to show this ??

As to production numbers- here's a start:

Year 2000 AR15 Production Stats

IIRC, I found another site that went through the prod stats after the ban... I think it was on the VPC website.  Might want to Google.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:13:41 AM EDT
[#27]
AWB and Bill Klinton gettin his Chest cracked open.........hmmmmm....abit of Justice.........just not enough
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:15:08 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I can't believe how many wimps here blindly followed the AWB!  It's discouraging.

People have to weigh the decision to disobey a law against the possible negative impact on one's finances, freedom, family, etc.  Are you willing to make a public statement that you have violated it, and challenge the authorities to arrest and prosecute you?

Rosa Parks did.  How about you, big brave markm?

Also some of the Kali guys here actually registered their ARs.    But at least they have their MOLON LABE hats on when they did it!

Same principle applies here, markm.  We have lives and property and families to protect, and nobody here has unlimited wealth to fight the government.

Having a registered AR means a Cali person can still take an AR to a public range without fear of arrest.  And it doesn't stop us from having unregistered ones too, for those of us who may be so inclined.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:18:44 AM EDT
[#29]
I am beginning to think the future of shooting lies withing the "evil black rifle" crowd.

With the urbanization of america there are less and less hunters out there and more people shooting because its fun. An lets face it , a day at the range with your AR-15 is more fun then a day at the range sighting in your .270 with its $15 box of 20 rounds.

The "evil black rifle" crowd is also pollitiaclly more active , due in part to the the AWB. We are the front line in the defense of the second amendment, they will have to get through us before they get to the "they'll never take my huntin' rifle" people with a "sniper rifle" ban.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:40:56 AM EDT
[#30]
The AWB gave conservatives the Congress, Executive Office, and soon the SCOTUS.

The AWB was the "Pearl Harbor" of the cultural war.  The anti's got a victory, but at a huge price.

Thanks to the AWB, and the "sporting" test on imports, we now have a great variety of EBR's manufacured right here at home.  In fact, that may be the only segment of our economy with a net increase in jobs!

AK's AR's FAL's HK's and soon to be more.   DSA is advertising an american made folding congo lower in SGN.  We are about to enter a new "Golden age" for EBR's          Mmmmm, life is good.

I would also be interested to know how many extra military style rifles have been sold. Anybody have the figures?  I'm guessing it's a lot.

Oh, one more thing it did:  It made alot of you dramatically over pay for your collapsable stocks and bayo lugs.  (you know who you are!!)

It also made alot of you substantial money.  (you know who you are)

What was it?  $500 for the stock, and $500 for the lug?  We all got a good lesson in human nature and supply and demand economics.  

Timing is everything, and Patience is a virtue.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#31]
I was thrusting last night AND squeezing at the same time........Is Diane going to come after me because it is before Sept 14th?

I was 16 when the ban passed so I have spent the last ten years collecting the only guns I could justify cost vs. function (of course that includes 4 ARs).  But without the ban, I am not sure I would have purchased so many.  Every time I bought any of my guns, AR or not, I did it with the lingering fear that in the near future I would not be able to make such a purchase.  God, I am looking forward to the 14th.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#32]
The ban also caused a whole new line of compact pistols. If you can only have ten rounds, lets make the gun small.

It also caused me to buy a lot with the line, "It could be banned tomorrow, I have to buy it today"
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:08:11 PM EDT
[#33]
AR15.com, Glocktalk, Fullauto.com, others, owe a great deal of their success to the ban.  It will be interesting to see what happens to the post count at these sites in the next 3,6,9,12 months.

Also, as mentioned above, compact semi-auto pistols owe their success to the ban.  As a result of the ban, a glut  of 10 round designed (very compact) guns were designed, sold and bought en masse, therefore alot of people became interested in carrying them legally concealed.

The Republican revolution following the gun ban combined with the ban-inspired compact semi-auto pistol revolution led to the huge push for concealed carry laws.

Thanks Dianne and Chuckie for letting me carry my pistol legally concealed...  I owe it all to you!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Bill Clinton was best gun salesman we ever had.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top