Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2004 6:09:17 AM EDT
Mods please delete if this is a dupe....

I think this guy was a participant here under the name of Rebel_Grey?  

-------------------------------------------------

Soldier Guilty Of Trying To Aid Al-Qaida
Associated Press
September 3, 2004

FORT LEWIS, Wash. - A National Guardsman accused of trying to give al-Qaida information about U.S. troops, including methods for killing soldiers, was found guilty Thursday on all five counts of trying to help the terrorist network.

The verdict in Spc. Ryan G. Anderson's court-martial, which began Monday, was announced late Thursday afternoon.

Anderson, a tank crewman whose 81st Armor Brigade unit is now in Iraq, was accused of trying to give terrorists information about U.S. troops' strength and tactics. The terrorists he thought he was meeting with were actually undercover federal agents, prosecutors said.

A military spokesman has said the charges amount to attempted treason.

Anderson, who did not testify during the guilt phase of his trial, took the stand Thursday evening in the penalty phase and wept, apologizing to his country and his family.

"I would rather give my life" than do anything to discredit the military, he told the jury, saying he felt "really lousy" about his actions.

When the verdict was announced, Anderson's father, Bruce Anderson, reached over and placed a hand on the back of his son's wife, Erin, who cried quietly. Ryan Anderson showed no visible reaction.

The jury of nine commissioned officers from Fort Lewis deliberated about 4 1/2 hours before reaching a verdict. A two-thirds majority was needed to convict Anderson, but the vote was not immediately announced.

Jurors deliberated late into the night Thursday as they considered what sentencing recommendation to send to Lt. Gen. Edward Soriano, the base commander.

Anderson, a 27-year-old Muslim convert, could face a maximum penalty of life in prison.

In closing arguments earlier Thursday, an Army prosecutor said Anderson was clear about his intentions in cell-phone text messages, e-mails and meetings with the undercover agents.

"It shows that ... the information he has he's willing to share it with al-Qaida," Maj. Melvin Jenks told jurors.

Defense attorney Maj. Joseph Morse countered that the Army had not proved beyond a reasonable doubt that Anderson intended to help al-Qaida. He said Anderson's grandiose ideas, actions and tendency to ramble on were all indicative of his mental disorders.

"We're not saying he doesn't know right from wrong," Morse said in his closing argument. Rather, "it's like his good-idea filter is broken."

Psychologists testifying Wednesday for the defense said Anderson suffers from bipolar disorder, formerly called manic depression, and Asperger's syndrome, a high-functioning form of autism that impairs cognitive and social functioning.

Because of those conditions, Morse said, Anderson could not form the criminal intent needed for a guilty verdict.

In his rebuttal, Jenks said the defense was trying to shield the jury from the "real Ryan Anderson," a person he said has no empathy for others and jeopardized his fellow soldiers.

"The only person Ryan Anderson cares about is Ryan Anderson," Jenks said.

He again showed a segment of a secretly recorded videotape of Anderson's Feb. 9 meeting with the undercover agents. The clip showed Anderson telling the men he is a tank ammunitions loader and explaining how to damage the M1A1 Abrams, the Army's primary battle tank, and kill American soldiers.

"See Amir Abdul Rashid for what he is," Jenks urged the panel, using the name Anderson used in communications on extremist Web sites. "A traitor. A traitor who betrayed our country, a traitor who betrayed our Army and a traitor who betrayed our fellow soldiers."

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:15:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully he gets life in prison, since they won't execute him.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:16:53 AM EDT
[#2]
wtf over, he's about as squared away as a doughnut

and furthermore thats just not hooah

I hope he turns his life around
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:17:20 AM EDT
[#3]
what!!!!...no firing squad...
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:18:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I remember reading his posts.  What really seemed to push him over the edge was the Patriot Act.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:19:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh he's gonna have fun in the correctional barracks

Allah Akbar mofo!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:21:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
wtf over, he's about as squared away as a doughnut

and furthermore thats just not hooah

I hope he turns his life around

I hope he gets air dropped into Iraq with a bag of porkskins and a Bush 04 t-shirt on.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:22:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Oh he's gonna have fun in the correctional barracks

Allah Akbar mofo!

hehehe.........
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:23:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:25:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:26:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Mods please delete if this is a dupe....

I think this guy was a participant here under the name of Rebel_Grey?  

-------------------------------------------------

Soldier Guilty Of Trying To Aid Al-Qaida
Associated Press
September 3, 2004

FORT LEWIS, Wash. - A National Guardsman accused of trying to give al-Qaida information about U.S. troops, including methods for killing soldiers, was found guilty Thursday on all five counts of trying to help the terrorist network.

The verdict in Spc. Ryan G. Anderson's court-martial, which began Monday, was announced late Thursday afternoon.

Anderson, a tank crewman whose 81st Armor Brigade unit is now in Iraq, was accused of trying to give terrorists information about U.S. troops' strength and tactics. The terrorists he thought he was meeting with were actually undercover federal agents, prosecutors said.

A military spokesman has said the charges amount to attempted treason.

Anderson, who did not testify during the guilt phase of his trial, took the stand Thursday evening in the penalty phase and wept, apologizing to his country and his family.

"I would rather give my life" than do anything to discredit the military, he told the jury, saying he felt "really lousy" about his actions.

When the verdict was announced, Anderson's father, Bruce Anderson, reached over and placed a hand on the back of his son's wife, Erin, who cried quietly. Ryan Anderson showed no visible reaction.

The jury of nine commissioned officers from Fort Lewis deliberated about 4 1/2 hours before reaching a verdict. A two-thirds majority was needed to convict Anderson, but the vote was not immediately announced.

Jurors deliberated late into the night Thursday as they considered what sentencing recommendation to send to Lt. Gen. Edward Soriano, the base commander.

Anderson, a 27-year-old Muslim convert, could face a maximum penalty of life in prison.

In closing arguments earlier Thursday, an Army prosecutor said Anderson was clear about his intentions in cell-phone text messages, e-mails and meetings with the undercover agents.

"It shows that ... the information he has he's willing to share it with al-Qaida," Maj. Melvin Jenks told jurors.

Defense attorney Maj. Joseph Morse countered that the Army had not proved beyond a reasonable doubt that Anderson intended to help al-Qaida. He said Anderson's grandiose ideas, actions and tendency to ramble on were all indicative of his mental disorders.

"We're not saying he doesn't know right from wrong," Morse said in his closing argument. Rather, "it's like his good-idea filter is broken."

Psychologists testifying Wednesday for the defense said Anderson suffers from bipolar disorder, formerly called manic depression, and Asperger's syndrome, a high-functioning form of autism that impairs cognitive and social functioning.

Because of those conditions, Morse said, Anderson could not form the criminal intent needed for a guilty verdict.

In his rebuttal, Jenks said the defense was trying to shield the jury from the "real Ryan Anderson," a person he said has no empathy for others and jeopardized his fellow soldiers.

"The only person Ryan Anderson cares about is Ryan Anderson," Jenks said.

He again showed a segment of a secretly recorded videotape of Anderson's Feb. 9 meeting with the undercover agents. The clip showed Anderson telling the men he is a tank ammunitions loader and explaining how to damage the M1A1 Abrams, the Army's primary battle tank, and kill American soldiers.

"See Amir Abdul Rashid for what he is," Jenks urged the panel, using the name Anderson used in communications on extremist Web sites. "A traitor. A traitor who betrayed our country, a traitor who betrayed our Army and a traitor who betrayed our fellow soldiers."

They ought to flog him just for bringing shame on the name "REBEL GREY"!

Long live the South!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:26:46 AM EDT
[#11]
This guy was member here?  How did he seem then?  Weird post or anything?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:31:19 AM EDT
[#12]
So the Patriot Act made him snap?  what a maroooon.  Worried himself too much over the goverment being intrusive????

Wonder what he thinks of cavity searches now?    What a tool.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:32:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

He was always talking about what weapon he was going to be issued when he got sent over to the big sand box.  A lot of, "goodbye, here I go" posts - even though he never actually left the state.  He used to refer to "my privates" alot, like he had maybe two people under him (and he liked it).  A lot of people wished him well and expressed a lot of admiration for him.  He ate it all up.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:36:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He was always talking about what weapon he was going to be issued when he got sent over to the big sand box.  A lot of, "goodbye, here I go" posts - even though he never actually left the state.  He used to refer to "my privates" alot, like he had maybe two people under him (and he liked it).  A lot of people wished him well and expressed a lot of admiration for him.  He ate it all up.

Figures,  "Look at me!  I'm a bigshot."  Well, here's lookin' at ya now!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:42:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Hopefully he gets life in prison, since they won't execute him.

+1
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:49:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Hopefully he get's life... and then his fellow inmates execute his ass.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top