Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/3/2004 4:33:34 AM EDT
We all know they are "gun-free" zones.  We all know it'd be like "fish in a barrel." We all know the political fallout, with potentially thousands of parents going apeshit, is huge.

We all know it's been done before (in Colorado).

What's keeping the "Religion of Peace" from doing the same over here? A lone cop standing in the hallway drinking a coffee and talking with little Johnny about his first kiss the night before?

When this happens here, it'll be big, it'll be bloody, and it'll send more shockwaves throughout the country than 9/11 did. Mark my words.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:36:11 AM EDT
[#1]
This is the nightmare scenario.  Given the success of the train station attack in Spain,  and now this.  The terrs are sure to take note and act accordingly.   We have an action plan in place, although I pray to God we never have to implement it.  Ops
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:38:41 AM EDT
[#2]
They're not.

I have always been in a bit of a quandry....

My wife teached some of the biggest scumbags at the local high school.  I have always thought she should do more to protect her own life than the students'.  Sounds pretty callous for sure.  But if you ever met some of these kids you would agree.  They're horrible.  They'll cuss her to her face, threaten her, etc....

Also my wife teaches in a building a good three hundred yards from the main building.  If something ever went down over there, and she got wind of it, I wonder what she should really do.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:42:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
They're not.

I have always been in a bit of a quandry....

My wife teached some of the biggest scumbags at the local high school.  I have always thought she should do more to protect her own life than the students'.  Sounds pretty callous for sure.  But if you ever met some of these kids you would agree.  They're horrible.  They'll cuss her to her face, threaten her, etc....

Also my wife teaches in a building a good three hundred yards from the main building.  If something ever went down over there, and she got wind of it, I wonder what she should really do.  

Well, apparently you were never TEACHED proper english.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:43:14 AM EDT
[#4]
doh!!

oops.....
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:44:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Anyone (ie, a parent or group of parents) who thinks he (or they) could storm the building to grab their kid(s) is dreaming. Armed or not.

You'd have BOTH the cops AND the BGs shooting at you.

It would be truly a "no-win" situation.

This is but one of many reasons why I don't want my kids in a gov't school. We will Homeschool or send them to a Christian school.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:46:23 AM EDT
[#6]
mcgrubbs: The teachers would be toast. In Los Angeles Unified Schools, a few teachers have been raped in their classrooms, and they couldn't call for help because there were no phones until recently. Also it is against school policy to bring knives or any other weapons to school.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:46:54 AM EDT
[#7]
America is just a better place.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:48:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I've felt that schools and churches are two of our most vulnerable places for years.
M
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:52:51 AM EDT
[#9]
… Immunity is pretty much an all-inclusive noun.

… Probable? Who knows.

… However, President Bush has touched on this scenario.

… His goal (and hopefully yours too) is to make such a dastardly act so un-lucrative on American soil that not only would the terrorists assuredly die, but the United States Marines will go to your homeland and extract a pound of flesh from your people for killing my child.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:54:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I've never thought that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:01:19 AM EDT
[#11]

I'll tell you why schools will never be attacked. First of all schools are "gun-free" zones; so therefore no guns would be allowed. Terrorists know this and thus avoid schools. They all know that at some point they would have to use firearms, so naturally they only go to places that allow them. I dont know of any schools that allow people to carry, much less use guns; so basically the school option is not a realistic one for them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:05:32 AM EDT
[#12]

So what makes us think that American schools are immune to terrorists?  

NOTHING makes me think that.......

Unfortunately, us Americans never deal with anything until it stares us in the face, and some of us won't even do it then.....
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:06:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Frankly,

I have no problem with telling my wife to try to get out of a situation.  Take the kids with you if you want, I don't care.  Her building is set off from everything else.  It has five exits.  Her car is 25 feet from the door.

Just do something!!

I can't believe that doing NOTHING is a good choice.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:09:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I doubt that anyone on this forum believe that we are immune.  This could easily happen here.  I wonder if we could handle it as well as the Russians.  We have a higher degree of capabilities, but our people might wring their hands waiting for a solution which would have zero risk to the hostages (not possible) and surrender all inititave to the terrorists.  We are a very soft culture, after all.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:09:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
This is but one of many reasons why I don't want my kids in a gov't school. We will Homeschool or send them to a Christian school.

Uhhh... OK... And a Christian School is more immune to a terrr attack why? Ever think it may be just the opposite?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:11:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:11:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Let's face it:  It would be much simpler and easier to take a smaller school.  Such as a small private, or parochial, school.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:19:02 AM EDT
[#18]
After Columbine, I instructed my kids that should anything happen at school, they were to leave the premises.  If that meant throwing a desk through a window, I didn't care.  The concept of a lockdown in their classrooms is only to insure that the BG's could collect their hostages at their leisure.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:20:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Who says it can't happen here?

The only thing that likely keeps it from happening here is simply because the IslamoFacists don't think they have the numbers and their neighbors' support for doing this sort of operation!

If it does happen here, there will be such a backlash against the Islamic population of this nation that would make the reaction following September 11th look like a Kumbayah Sing-along.

That's why it is in the best interests of the Islamic population in this nation to look after their own neighborhoods to ferret out any IslamoFacist cells and supporters themselves!

Eric The(Realistic)Hun

Agreed, but since when have Muslims acted reasonably?

I harbor absolutely no dillusions that this type of nightmare will not happen here. None whatsoever.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:22:55 AM EDT
[#20]
We are of course not immune. Though, it does help that we don't have a breakaway radical Islamic state within our borders.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:26:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
We are of course not immune. Though, it does help that we don't have a breakaway radical Islamic state within our borders.

Dude there not on our border, their in our neighborhoods!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:27:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude there not on our border, their in our neighborhoods!!

Yes, but they are a bit more timid and subdued than the Chechens. (For the moment).

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:28:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I'll tell you why schools will never be attacked. First of all schools are "gun-free" zones; so therefore no guns would be allowed. Terrorists know this and thus avoid schools. They all know that at some point they would have to use firearms, so naturally they only go to places that allow them. I don't know of any schools that allow people to carry, much less use guns; so basically the school option is not a realistic one for them.

Exactly, thats why we have the laws we do.  Besides pre-ban Full-Auto guns are way expensive for your common terrorist to buy.  We have nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:34:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uhhh... OK... And a Christian School is more immune to a terrr attack why? Ever think it may be just the opposite?

A small church school out in the country is probably under their radar. I'm guessing that if the terrorists are planning something, they want to make a big statement and get the most out of their effort.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:37:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:41:02 AM EDT
[#26]
These guys like "high concept" attacks, they won't just attack a lone school. It'll be a nationwide series of incidents.

We can't possibly protect all the vulnerable targets. Schools, malls, hospitals, power plants. All Americans should prepare for some social disruption.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:47:57 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I'll tell you why schools will never be attacked. First of all schools are "gun-free" zones; so therefore no guns would be allowed. Terrorists know this and thus avoid schools. They all know that at some point they would have to use firearms, so naturally they only go to places that allow them. I dont know of any schools that allow people to carry, much less use guns; so basically the school option is not a realistic one for them.

Exactly. Terrorists will strike where they can use weapons. The targets then become obvious: shooting ranges and gun shows. And maybe even military bases.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:05:02 AM EDT
[#28]
I have avoided posting this very subject simply to be one more person not giving the jkl;jdsafl;dasjadsfl;fdsists any ideas.

<insert fictional news story of a similar attack on a U.S. school>

This strikes at the heart of the Soccer Mom demographic, and the results would be...interesting.

Most will probably shriek about how the govt has a responsibility to ensure safe schools (but, of course, will offer no real suggestions).

A few will suggest that aming the staff might help.  I suspect these few will be shouted down.

It's gonna get ugly.

I have a new (to me) SHTF scenario:
1.  A school near me is attacked.
2.  "Civil unrest" develops (i.e. "open season" - which I will not participate in)
3.  National Guard is activated, and martial law is declared.

What happens to my firearms when #3 starts?  How can I have a boating accident with ten minutes' notice?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:22:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:29:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Ohio has come up with a solution.  They are requiring that we demolish our "campus style" schools -- "Not able to control entry by unauthorized persons" and build a limited access single building concept.  This will ensure that any individual will not be able to create a threat to our children.  

What they don't tell us is that  a dedicated group cannot be stopped (barring a platoon of defenders at every school) and they will be able to control a large group of students by merely controlling the exits to the facillity.  

I am only happy that this won't happen until my kids are graduated.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:30:22 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
WHEN such an attack occurs in America, there will be much flapping of gums but no real action.  A lot of kids will die precisely because the soccer moms will be in hand wringing mode and whining about the evil of guns.  After the fact, exactly NOTHING will be done in retribution to the enemy.

Depressing, but probably true.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:38:36 AM EDT
[#32]
I don't know anyone who thinks that our schools (or our churches, homes, places of business and infrastructure for that matter) are safe anymore. My only question is how will Fatass Moore and the rest of the butt hurt, gun hatin' left wing try to turn this around on the rest of us??
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:44:04 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
WHEN such an attack occurs in America, there will be much flapping of gums but no real action.  A lot of kids will die precisely because the soccer moms will be in hand wringing mode and whining about the evil of guns.  After the fact, exactly NOTHING will be done in retribution to the enemy.

I beg to differ, I think the soccer moms will blame it on the gunners and assualt weapons, and call for renewing of the '94 AWB.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:23:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Also it is against school policy to bring knives or any other weapons to school.

Interesting, the school my kids attend is full of firearms including Evil Black/Brown/Green Rifles.   Firearms instruction is part of the curiculum.
Oh wait we home school! - Never mind....
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:26:42 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Also it is against school policy to bring knives or any other weapons to school.

Interesting, the school my kids attend is full of firearms including Evil Black/Brown/Green Rifles.   Firearms instruction is part of the curiculum.

Oh wait we home school! - Never mind....

Amen.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:29:45 AM EDT
[#36]
I feel for the Russians and frankly it is something that does worry me as do shopping malls, sporting events, and concerts....

Imgine if that was your child!  It would fill me with a rage that would never go out and I would die avenging the death of my kids...
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:33:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Personally, I don't think we are protected from this kind of terror at all. With our open borders and physical evidence pointing to AQ type infiltrators, I think we are gonna be in for some sad awakenings. There will be more than a few people who will wish they were armed.  They need time to assemble armories, build bombs, recon, select targets, develop attack plans, train....but sure as hell, they will come.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:33:52 AM EDT
[#38]
the ONLY thing we can do to prevent that kind of attack is to keep up the pressure on the war on terror.  Don't you think if al quaida could have done the type of attack in russia, here in the US they already would have?
it's been 3 years since the attacks on America, and there haven't been any follow up attacks, there's only one explanation for that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:34:06 AM EDT
[#39]
The Russians won't do jack shit about this.  They can't afford to.  They are broke.  This shit is going to keep happening over and over again until they leave Chechneya.  IT will also start to happen here-as soon as Kerry gets elected.  And it may happen sooner.  Let's face it-there would be no way to prevent it.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:41:22 AM EDT
[#40]
The difference "MAY BE" that even the terorists may realize that picking that fight will make even the most liberal in our country become so angry that they would cause a backlash that would cause them such harm that they would never be able to opperate again.  911 was painful but what we are describing here is much worse then 911 IMHO.

Sometime I carry and sometimes I don't...  events like this make me think it would be wise to be prepared at all times as this same thing could happen anywhere and any time and I wouldn't like being one of the sheep!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:43:44 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
the ONLY thing we can do to prevent that kind of attack is to keep up the pressure on the war on terror.  Don't you think if al quaida could have done the type of attack in russia, here in the US they already would have?
it's been 3 years since the attacks on America, and there haven't been any follow up attacks, there's only one explanation for that.

Good point. Take the fight to THEM, on THEIR turf.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:46:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Great minds think alike.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:48:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:50:34 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I perceive, Sir, that you are a prophet.  MickeyMouse is on the money.  This is exactly what will happen.  Case in point is the recent prison standoff in Arizona earlier in the summer where our "wonderful" Governer caved into the demands of depraved inmates.  This move has set a pecedent that will endanger the guard populace of local prisons immesurabley.  Thanks a fuckin' lot, Janet.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:51:37 AM EDT
[#45]
We'll never hear from the media that "Chechen Rebels" really means "Muslim Terrorists."
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:54:00 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
The Russians won't do jack shit about this.  They can't afford to.  They are broke.  This shit is going to keep happening over and over again until they leave Chechneya.  IT will also start to happen here-as soon as Kerry gets elected.  And it may happen sooner.  Let's face it-there would be no way to prevent it.  

Dude, you don't know the Ruskies....trust me that even if they have to use rocks and sticks...some people are really gonna pay and pay very, very hard.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:56:25 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
We'll never hear from the media that "Chechen Rebels" really means "Muslim Terrorists."

i heard on CNN or Fox earlier that the Russians were saying that half of the terrorists they had already killed were "arabs"...... could get interesting
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:58:31 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i heard on CNN or Fox earlier that the Russians were saying that half of the terrorists they had already killed were "arabs"...... could get interesting

Couldn't have been CNN. Then again, what do I know, I don't have cable.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:58:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#50]
"TEACHED"

Come on, guys, I am sure he meant "teaches".   The S is right beside the D, and when I change from my fullsize split keyboard to a regular straight keyboard, or to a laptop, I make typos, too.  

Give the guy a break.

I think I will attend the next school board meeting and suggest they take down the the No Guns signs at the schools.  Hopefully parents will be encouraged to keep guns in their cars.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top