Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2004 4:00:03 AM EDT
I thought he did a good job delivering it.

I could have wished for a little more communication of conservative ideals, not that there weren't any.

I don't like this gov't getting involved in education stuff. Like we need the Fed gov't to FURTHER screw up gov't schools.

Nothing really new. He kinda left the door open for private enterprise to meet some of his policy objectives, as he didn't give many specifics.

Strong on homeland defense and the war against terror. I liked how he talked about liberty and freedom.

To sum up, I'd say his message was "In the next four years, I will be what I have been for the last four years."

Thoughts??

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:09:25 AM EDT
[#1]
His plan was to destroy the Demo's ability to win elections by stealing their "talking points".

Lots of promises.

He made lots of promises for his first term, most of which he kept-except for oil drilling in AWAR.

I think he'll be able to keep those promises especially if we win more seats in the senate.

Winning more in the house should make it easier for him to get all this stuff passed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:15:13 AM EDT
[#2]
All together I liked the speech. It was certainly more informative than Kerry's "I'm a war hero" speech.

That said, I noted some things that I didn't like. Not because he believes in them, but because I could see it losing votes by mentioning it. (i.e. the marriage amendment, and a few others)
I happen to agree with him on most of those issues, but I can see that many people don't and I'm not sure it was a good political move to bring up the subjects. Hopefully, I'm wrong and it won't lose him any support. I'm not a political science major so I trust that his speech writers know a little more than I do about running an election.

I appreciated his sense of humor and humanity. That to me was refreshing to see. Of course, you just can't beat poking fun at Kerry, so a big Bravo! for that too.

What I didn't like was on ABC made a very conserted (sp?) effort to make sure everyone knows that 2 people were removed for disagreement with parts of the speech. They bled over the President to tell me that. (Luckily I think it was during a series of applause and he wasn't actually saying anything) Then right after, I mean RIGHT after, they remind me of it.

"Again, two people were removed for disagreement and are currently being detained. Though what they can be detained for, other than political disagreement, I don't know."

WTF? You don't know that. You don't even know why they were removed. You are assuming you big dumb jack asses. Stop reporting your bullshit and get the damn facts first. Grrrrrr!
Their so called political analysis afterward pissed me off so much I couldn't watch it all either. You could hear in their tone of voice. Dripping with sarcasm and contempt for everything the man said. I'm fed up with the so called "news" reporters. It's soooo blatently obvious who they want to elect.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:16:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought it was an excellent speech.  I commented to my wife at its end (before Brit Hume made the same comment) that aside from the references to Kerry that it was more like a State of the Union address than a campaign speech.  It starkly differentiated him from Kerry, portraying him as very presidential, serious about his job and above the fray of the political backbiting that Kerry wades into like a slopping hog.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:17:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
That said, I noted some things that I didn't like. Not because he believes in them, but because I could see it losing votes by mentioning it. (i.e. the marriage amendment, and a few others)
I happen to agree with him on most of those issues, but I can see that many people don't and I'm not sure it was a good political move to bring up the subjects. Hopefully, I'm wrong and it won't lose him any support. I'm not a political science major so I trust that his speech writers know a little more than I do about running an election.

I think Bush is trying to appeal to the ENTIRE big tent.

Its difficult (and perhaps foolish) to try to ride two horses.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:19:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Speech was great.  Very typical excellent speechwriting.  I agree he seemed above the fray and very presidential.  He is a real person, asured of himself and his beliefs.  He will win BIG in November to much rejoicing in my household.  He ain't perfect, but who is?  God Bless GWB!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:20:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think Bush is trying to appeal to the ENTIRE big tent.

Its difficult (and perhaps foolish) to try to ride two horses.

That's a good point. Guess I hadn't thought of it in quite those terms. Shoring up his conservative base basically. Perhaps they really are smarter than me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:26:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That's a good point. Guess I hadn't thought of it in quite those terms. Shoring up his conservative base basically. Perhaps they really are smarter than me.

I think the party platform (which has good conservative content) is for teh informed conservative base.

The RNC was a dog and pony show to appeal to the mush minded moderates who STILL don't know who they are voting for.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:29:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the party platform (which has good conservative content) is for teh informed conservative base.

The RNC was a dog and pony show to appeal to the mush minded moderates who STILL don't know who they are voting for.

Absolutely true.  Whereas the DNC was a pathetic, near last ditch effort to stop the bleeding.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:33:48 AM EDT
[#9]
"In texas, we call it walking"

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:35:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't know, I fell asleep on the couch at 2100.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:39:42 AM EDT
[#11]
... Excellent speech, was a great evening.

… Was lucky enough to spend it with Republican Congressman JD Hayworth, his wife and some of his constituents in a nice reception party in Scottsdale for President Bush’s acceptance speech.

… Nice to hang out with like minded folks
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:45:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
"In texas, we call it walking"

I thought that was hilarious.

Thought he should have followed that with "Some people have called me brash - in Texas, we call that talkin'."

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:50:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, it is a convention speech, blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda, yadda.  Basically preaching to the choir.

I like Bush a lot but he is a lousy formal speaker, but he is a good person to person communicator. I think they (his handlers) should have had him come out on that  round stage and speak without the lecturn face to face with Americans.

He should have said something like. "The American people know my record since I took office. They know why we had to respond to 9/11 the way we did. They know why everyone in the house and senate thought Sadam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction and why we had to go there.

The American people know that it is necessary to hunt down and capture or kill terrorists on foreign shores so we don't have to do it here. They know that if we don't do this now,  our children will have too."

He should have then cut right to the chase about economics, about jobs, about education, about the economy,  the ecomony, the economy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top