Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2004 6:39:59 PM EDT
Our Windows are boarded, our water reserves filled, our pantries, stocked, our weapons are clean and our magazines loaded.  We have over 600 rounds loaded into magazines and we are ready come what may.  This storm looks nasty and if it hits as bad as we think, looting may ensue, we shall give no quarter to this lowest form of scum that human civilization has spawned.  We are prepared for what may be a true SHTF scenario, hopefully we will be spared as we have been so many times in the past, but if not our mettle will be tested and we shall weather the storm.  To all those in Florida, good luck, bar the door and God Speed.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
We have over 600 rounds loaded into magazines and we are ready come what may.

Going to shoot the storms tires out?  

Just kidding.  Good luck down there and stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Good luck and Godspeed. We Virginians sometimes get the remnants of your storms but you guys ususally take the direct hits....I hope everybody in FL gets thru this OK.....ECS
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Take us a photo with you and guns in the shelter
Be Safe!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I may dump a mag into Frances just to vent, the bastard cancelled a 30 hr fishing trip we had planned for my bachelor party.  I gues 100 miles off shore isnt the best place to be during a hurricane :(
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#7]
God speed!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#8]
The last time I went that far off shor we got caught in a bad storm 15 footers in a 35 footer is no fun. hard to fish in anyways
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:08:11 PM EDT
[#10]
CHUM!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:16:44 PM EDT
[#11]
My prayers tonight are for all of you who are in harms way down there, may God look over and protect you and if it must happen may your aim be true.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Largest evac in state history?

They just showed I95 and it's jammed (in one direction) and empty in the other

down to 125 MPH but 1000 miles across... landfall Sat afternoon between Palm Beach & Daytona...

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:22:07 PM EDT
[#13]
well we all made out okay here. now we're watching Ivan
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I may dump a mag into Frances just to vent, the bastard cancelled a 30 hr fishing trip we had planned for my bachelor party.  I gues 100 miles off shore isnt the best place to be during a hurricane :(

Actually thats exacly where the Naval ships go, or at least that is what has been explained to me.

You betchum Red Ryder.  The idea is that it is better to get into the "safe" semicircle rather than get destroyed in a poor anchorage.

Hurricanes and northern hemisphere cyclonic tropical storms almost always start and move westerly veer  up to northwest and then to the North and maybe to the Northeast before pooping out.  Although some have been known to stay westerly, and sometimes they go in a big loop, but hardly ever do they veer south (those that loop only do it near the end of their life)  So if you are northwest over to a little below Northeast of the storm it may be coming right at you.  You get a doppler effect on the winds  (aaaaaaaaah vector math) so the wind where you are are is a combination of the storm generated winds speed  added to the storm speed (over ground) itself.  So you try to get your ship west of the storm and then dro to the south of it and then run to the south east with following winds and seas.  If you are northeast of it you want to run east until you can run safely southeast to south to get behind it.  If you are in port  tied to a pier or anchored you are at the mercy of storm surge, wind/sail effect on the hull pushing the ship, wind effect on topside equipment and structures, anything flying around, and anything downwind of you that has been blown free and is running before the wind right at you.

You wanna hear some horror stories, you ought to talk to some of the guys whose ships got caught by typhoons in Hong Kong during the VN war.    (Hong Kong  itself is an island, and the harbor usually a pretty good typhoon haven ) The plan was to keep the island with the pretty good size hils between the ships and the storms, which is normally a very good tactic, but these typhoons didn't start veering  north, and trying to run across a typhoon with  the storm east/southeast of you and a nassty Red Chinese coast on the other side is not a viable option.  So they kept waiting, Option 1 being as it gets closer and veers north sailing counterclockwise keeping the island on the stormside of you and trying to avoid hitting all the junks and fishing boats, etc,  with option 2 being running colckwise to the north of the island as it passes south.  Well that sucker  came straight on over them not giving them the chance to run either way until too late.  Enough to make a hairy chested sailor man hang up his oars and come home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top