Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/2/2004 5:59:41 PM EDT
Our rescued yorkie, Dudley, has had a 250 a day treat habit that we are attempting to break him of, and he is pretty much wearing my last nerve thin in his attempts to get a fix.  He's fragile, so we can't beat him and this ignoring stuff is not working well.  He is screeching at the top of his lungs about every 10 seconds or so and I am beginning to understand why parents abuse their children.

Here is a pic of the culprit:

P.S. For those of you who might actually think I would beat my dog, please note that QS and I have spent more than $3000 on this dog in the last year or so.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Whats he doing besides yelping?  Whats the $3k from?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Whats he doing besides yelping?  Whats the $3k from?

Trust me on this, the yelping is enough.  He stands just out of arm's length and screeches at regular intervals.  He does this all the time when he wants something.  The $3k has been in dental work, tumor removal, x-rays and treatment for disintegrating hip joints, allergies and now arthritis. I work only to support him and QS's gun habits, I think.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#3]
$.25 = one round

one hole

no problems...

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
$.25 = one round

one hole

no problems...

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#5]
He's so cute!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
He's so cute!

I know!  It has gotten him very far in life.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
$.25 = one round

one hole

no problems...

Dickhead
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
$.25 = one round

one hole

no problems...

Yeah..but the one I use on PEOPLE costs about a buck a shot.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Let him loose in arowneragain's neighborhood....
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Clarification - we are NOT getting rid of, killing, beating, or otherwise smacking around Dudley.  If you think that's funny, I suggest you get fucked with a splintered broomstick.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#11]
invite a pit bull over
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
invite a pit bull over

I blew the last one away that had an encounter with my family.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Clarification - we are NOT getting rid of, killing, beating, or otherwise smacking around Dudley.  If you think that's funny, I suggest you get fucked with a splintered broomstick.

Can you repeat that using different words?  I don't understand what you're saying.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Get a shock collar.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
$.25 = one round

one hole

no problems...

I didn't say it was the best solution... just the cheapest. My parents have spent more on their two dogs then they ever spent on me. Not that I'm bitter.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't be such a mean old scrooge.  Give poor Dudley his treats cause he is cute.  That's the excuse wife uses when I tell her our Goldie is 50% overweight.  (She is cute.)
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:20:42 PM EDT
[#17]
bark collar? Mild setting. not TASER
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:46:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Talk to some trainers. Any dog can be trained, it is simply a matter of finding a method of modifying the behavior to what you consider to be acceptable.

Of course, our best dog trainer is our older, mellow dog, who whipped the high-strung, ill-mannered Dalmatian into shape and made her stay calm, no easy task.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:05:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Ditto the training. No habit is unbreakable, if you're consistent and persistent.

First off, NEVER, EVER, NO MATTER WHAT let the dog's behavior win. The DOG NEVER WINS. Any treat he gets should be a reward for doing what you want (or don't). Period.

There are a lot of ways of stopping yelping, some work on some dogs, some on others. I've heard of good results with the stimulation collars.

I use a pinch leash. Put it on the dog, let it have slack and behave as normal. When it starts yelping, big tug which will put a hurt on his neck (not severe, but it'll get his attention). Say "NO" when you do this. Keep doing it every time the dog yells for a treat. When he calms down, and stops yelping, have him do something, like a sit or a come, THEN you can praise him....not feed him. Keep this up for a few days and your dog will learn.

There are lots of ways of dealing with it, but it takes some work. In the end tho, your buddy wants nothing more than your praise. Unfortunately, he's trained you to jump.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:08:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Good bet would be a remote training collar. I assume you have tried different methods, as power should be the last resort.....

Put the collar on, turned OFF for a few days to get the dog used to wearing the collar, continue the normal rountine. After two days, set it on the lowest setting and as soon as the dog "breaks a rule" hit him with the power button, along with a verbal command. Might just work... but a good remote collar might be expensive.

Is the dog otherwise confident? Sounds maybe a little "co-dependent"?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:13:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Taxidermy ?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:53:45 AM EDT
[#22]
A lot of good advice for dogs, but that isn't really a dog is it?  thaat's a guinea pig with gland problems.

No selfrespecting dog would look like that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:02:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Sounds to me like Dudley is getting along in years what with all his medical bills.  Be glad you could remove his tumor.  We lost our little West Highland Terrier Daisy right before Christmas last year.  It was too late to save her by the time we found out.  If weight is a problem, why not switch to a low calorie treat and dog food.  We did that for our overweight Labrador and she's slimmed down quite a bit.  

It's not like he's going to be around forever.  Why not give him a treat and a pat on the head.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:08:38 AM EDT
[#24]
 Get an Innotec bark collar from Vetvax. It's about $50. It has seven levels starting out with just a little tinge up to a pretty hard zap. My puppy who would start barking non stop at 4 a.m. was broke off the kennel barking on the first night. I think I could leave the battery out now and he won't bark while the collar is on.
 I think the collar saved him from getting the lead injection from my neighbor.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:17:11 AM EDT
[#25]
try a small spray bottle, like the ones you "mist" plants with. everytime he starts just say  "no" in a strong voice and spray him in the  face. eventually he will learn that when he whines like  qs begging for sex  he gets his face washed.

keep a couple of small spray bottle around the house, he will learn.

dogs are harder to train than wives, but once you get the hang of it its easy.

fuck that "quiet" time. reward negative behavior with negative results
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:18:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Okay, the ignoring the behavior is TRAINING, guys!  We attempted to use a shock collar on him when we first got him 4 years ago and it literally scared the piss out of him.  He stood in one place for 5 hours without moving with it on.  He has a complete personality change with that and I think it was an overused solution with his previous owner.  We have broken him of other attention getting habits by ignoring and I suspect this will work given a few days.  It is like taking a kid's pacifier away, it totally sucks for the first couple of days and then it tapers off.  

We are not getting rid of him, but he was getting on my last nerve while I was trying to watch GDubya last night and now I can understand why parents get fed up with their kids sometimes!

P.S. Weight isn't the issue...being a spoiled rotten little shit is!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:20:58 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
try a small spray bottle, like the ones you "mist" plants with. everytime he starts just say  "no" in a strong voice and spray him in the  face. eventually he will learn that when he whines like  qs begging for sex  he gets his face washed.

You know, I tried the negative consequences with QS and he just humped my leg.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:25:21 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

...  He's fragile, so we can't beat him ...

... Hell, if he's "fragile", just means you don't have to beat him as hard
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:32:32 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...  He's fragile, so we can't beat him ...

... Hell, if he's "fragile", just means you don't have to beat him as hard

qs or dudley??
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:33:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:52:41 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I had always imagined that if I were to go to hell, there would be nothing I couldn't get used to.... THAT WOULD HURT!!!!! I just found my own personal hell.

Back to your dog,
My suggestion would be to treat it like any other addiction and gradually cut him down. Every time you would normally get the urge to give him one, don't do it. Instead tell him "NO". Give him a treat every other time you normally would. Remember, gradually cutting down.

Maybe it won't work, but it's worth a try.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:59:48 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know, I tried the negative consequences with QS and he just humped my leg.

Maybe the dog's not as stubborn.  

Along the spray-bottle lines, I recently learned a nice way to keep my neighbor's mutt from jumping all over me.  She's a great dog and likes to play a lot, but sometimes I've got stuff in my hands, I'm  greasy from working on the car, whatever.  If I just blow a puff of air in her face, she stops fast.  I guess my breath is pretty bad...

There are lots of things dogs really don't like that won't hurt them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:21:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Some good advise here, but I would caution a couple of things... As said, *almost* any habit can be broken, if the dog's mind is within normal operating specs -- but often, with rescue dogs, you will find that they have suffered irreputable trauma to that little mind and some of the rules have to change.

I have been working with or training police and MWDs for going on 2 decades, dealing mostly with behavioral problems the past part of that (an overly agressive patrol dog is no fun I tell you...).

Without seeing his actions, it sounds like insecurity from either pack or play drive (play does not mean *play* like most of us think)... Would enjoy trying to offer some advise, probably give me an IM if you are interested? Sounds like you have the love and patience -- let me know?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:21:10 AM EDT
[#34]
" tumor removal, x-rays and treatment for disintegrating hip joints, allergies and now arthritis."

Give him his F-ing treats already !      

GM  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:35:47 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

+1 on that.  Show him what happens if he keeps begging.  Be consistent with it too.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:41:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Ignoring him will work eventualy.  If you can't wait that long, take a proactive approach.

You might not realize it, but you've trained him to do this behavior.  He barks, he's rewarded (treat).  He knows it works and ya'll are softies.

Train him not to bark.  Start small, just a few minutes, or however long he can go without barking.  When he's been quiet for a few minutes, bridge him (say good dog, wistle, use a clicker, etc...) and reward.  Slowly legnthen the amount of time required before the reward.  Should be simple.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:51:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Get a shock collar.

+1 They work great for training.  They also make a bark collar.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:13:37 AM EDT
[#38]
I can't put up with my dogs barking even when they are outside...they immediately get reprimanded with a firm "NO BARKING", and are made to lay down (the black lab who is 2) in his "favorite spot" and kennel up (the chocolate puppy, who is now 6 months and 60+ lbs).

Is Dudley crate trained? Locate the crate in an extra room and when he misbehaves or begs, barks or whines, kennel him up immediately!!! When my puppy gets into trouble, he takes it upon himself to kennel up now without me even having to tell him to. Guess he would rather be in there than dealing with my reprimand

Have you tried a muzzle? Strap that pup up!!!
Wire Basket Small Dog Muzzle

If it were me...I would use both methods! There is nothing more annoying to me than a barking/whining dog...

Good Luck! He sure is a cutie!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:17:25 AM EDT
[#39]

P.S. For those of you who might actually think I would beat my dog, please note that QS and I have spent more than $3000 on this dog in the last year or so.

Good point.
I guess it would be ok to beat him then.
Carry on.

J/K

$600 on my dog a year ago.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:23:03 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Okay, the ignoring the behavior is TRAINING, guys!  We attempted to use a shock collar on him when we first got him 4 years ago and it literally scared the piss out of him.  He stood in one place for 5 hours without moving with it on.  He has a complete personality change with that and I think it was an overused solution with his previous owner.

Common result of putting a shock collar on and letting it work all in the same day. They easily associate the correction with the placement of the collar. Try again, but put a collar on that's "off" or has the battery removed for a few days first, get the dog used to wearing one. Then, a few days later, let the zapping begin.

AZ(Can't friggin stand my dog whining)K9
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#41]
We go through this every six months or so.  He's actually an astute student of human psychology, and uses behavior shaping to get us to do what he wants.  Active ignoring works after two or three days..lol... it's just that those days suck.

I'm not putting a shock collar on him.  He's been through too much already, and aside from this one little behavior he's a great dog.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:46:05 AM EDT
[#42]
A. Shock Collar.
B. Koehler Dog Training Method.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#43]
You think that's bad?  HA!!!

My English Setter decided that the best time to hunt for kitties and rabbits in the backyard is 4:30 in the AM. So, she hops up on the bed and starts poking me in the back with he paw until I get up and let her out. If I lock her out of my room, then she stands outside my door and barks at the top of her lungs. She simply will not give up until I get up and let her out.

It makes for a very tired and cranky motown_steve!

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
 He's been through too much already, and aside from this one little behavior he's a great dog.  

is this the dog that frenched kissed brasspile?? if it is you are right, he has been thru way toooooo much
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:52:04 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
try a small spray bottle, like the ones you "mist" plants with. everytime he starts just say  "no" in a strong voice and spray him in the  face. eventually he will learn that when he whines like  qs begging for sex  he gets his face washed....

Does the wife do that to control you ?

(JOKE !)
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:00:11 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 He's been through too much already, and aside from this one little behavior he's a great dog.  

is this the dog that frenched kissed brasspile?? if it is you are right, he has been thru way toooooo much

No, this is the other one.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:24:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Here's how one guy solved his dog problem.

mywebpages.comcast.net/unwind5/AssistanceCall1.wmv

Certainly not the way I would do it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:37:46 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Put some lemon juice (the kind you by in bottles at the store) in it for good measure. Dogs hate that. My dad's friend had a dog he trained his way.

If that doesn't work try the shock collar.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#49]
If he barks in the back yard, get a 'Supersoaker' squirt gun.  We had one on our porch when my parents had a house on a golf course.  You could squirt the dog without getting up out of your seat.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#50]
By the way, which one of you named him DUDLEY?!?!?!  That's probably most of why you're having problems!  Atleast you didn't name him something really weird like "Terry" or something.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top