Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2004 1:21:27 PM EDT
everytime they asked you couldn't afford to own a gun. I just smoked my paper shredder trying to get rid of the NRA requests for money from the last six months. My wife keeps putting them next to my arm chair and they piled up to a point that they were a fire hazard so I started "filing" them. I almost made it through the stack when I let the factory installed smoke out of the machine. It's dead.

Hey NRA. Here's a clue I'm a member. I know where you are. If I have some spare dough; which I don't, I'll send you some. Save yourself a stamp.(rant off)
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Hm. Are you a life member?

I've never gotten a request for money...
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#2]
just call them and tell them to quit sending you stuff.

relax.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I buy stuff from MidwayUSA.com ..... they have the "round up" program .... seems like a good way to give ....
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
just call them and tell them to quit sending you stuff.

relax.

Ditto.  I send them money on my own every couple of months so I know I am on the "giving" list but I get no junk mail cuz I simply asked them not to...
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Dude, its ok. Just use the paper to start fires, (in fireplace), and save some on heat bills this winter.

Then with the money you saved, send that to the NRA.

Damn im good.

ETA: although i don't know how cold it gets in TN.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Go to www.nra.org/ and select Membership Services. You can request to be put on their reduced mailing list and they will stop sending you the torrential storm of junk mail (though it may take a few weeks before you see results).
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
everytime they asked you couldn't afford to own a gun. I just smoked my paper shredder trying to get rid of the NRA requests for money from the last six months. My wife keeps putting them next to my arm chair and they piled up to a point that they were a fire hazard so I started "filing" them. I almost made it through the stack when I let the factory installed smoke out of the machine. It's dead.

Hey NRA. Here's a clue I'm a member. I know where you are. If I have some spare dough; which I don't, I'll send you some. Save yourself a stamp.(rant off)

+1
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:50:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, I get a LOT of mail from the NRA solcitiing money, but remember, the '94 AWB is expiring soon, it was due in effort to the NRA. Unfortunately, they can't do anything about the guns laws in Kali-fornia because we have a 60/30 Dem/Repub registration. The money given to the NRA will insure that you and your children get to keep their guns. You can tell the effectiness of the NRA when Bill Clinton attributes the NRA to the defeat of Al Gore, and many Congressman who voted for the '94 AWB. Lobbying is an enormously expensive effort, akin to paying a lawyer.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yeah, I get a LOT of mail from the NRA solcitiing money, but remember, the '94 AWB is expiring soon, it was due in effort to the NRA. Unfortunately, they can't do anything about the guns laws in Kali-fornia because we have a 60/30 Dem/Repub registration. The money given to the NRA will insure that you and your children get to keep their guns. You can tell the effectiness of the NRA when Bill Clinton attributes the NRA to the defeat of Al Gore, and many Congressman who voted for the '94 AWB. Lobbying is an enormously expensive effort, akin to paying a lawyer.

I'm betting that my calls to my senators make a bigger difference than the NRA.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:58:39 PM EDT
[#10]
It was probably the "stickers" that did your machine in.

GM  
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It is definitely a team effort; but when it came time to vote down S.1805 after it was hopelessly loaded down with anti-gun amendments, all of the stories I saw mentioned the page from the NRA declaring they wanted the amendment dead. None of them mentioned your phone calls to your Senators

On the other hand being a TN resident, I am absolutely certain that your call to your Senator played a role in Frist's decision in July to "fill the tree" and block Feinstein's next attempt. Calls from constituents carry a lot of weight.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:11:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Calling your local politico is only aspect of the game. The gun legislation is a multi-prong business. But the point is that the NRA can usually get a law defeated BEFORE you have to call you local politico, that is where it counts.

Besides consider your opposition, the anti-gunners, they have the news media, many Hollywood stars, and billionair financiers as benefactors. The pro-gunners have retired movie actors(who don't need to work in Hollywierd), and just plain ordinary everyday people(that's us).
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#14]

I get a ton also. It surprises me that they can afford to send out all that crap. Makes me wonder if I donate money if it going to be used to pay for more junk mail.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:16:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I get a ton also. It surprises me that they can afford to send out all that crap. Makes me wonder if I donate money if it going to be used to pay for more junk mail.

Agreed!   I can't help but wonder how much of my dues go toward junk mailings.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Money well spent IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I takes money to make money. Guns are like a babies, you just can't enjoy just the smiles, but you also have to accept the poopy diapers.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Go to www.nra.org/ and select Membership Services. You can request to be put on their reduced mailing list and they will stop sending you the torrential storm of junk mail (though it may take a few weeks before you see results).

+1

Or you could become a Lifer
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Money well spent IMHO.

+1

So says my three new AR-15's waiting to be assembled.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:01:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I takes money to make money. Guns are like a babies, you just can't enjoy just the smiles, but you also have to accept the poopy diapers.

I take your point but wouldn't be better if they made thier pitch in thier monthly magazine mailings and used the junk mail $$ for other efforts, such as  lobbying, educational and training programs, Eddie Eagle, etc.  Just seems to me that the $$ spent  on junk mailings to the membership is just money wasted preaching to the choir and could be better spent elsewhere..  
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
If you're getting donation requests that you don't want cluttering up your mailbox, all you have to do is ask them to stop sending them to you.  PLEASE do that - that's MY (and other members') money being spent to deliver things that are being put to waste.

My money too. I'm a member.

I'm a Life Member because I believe it counts.

I'm a yearly member for two reasons. One,I'm cheap.  Two, I don't want to be tied to anything but my wife for life. They might go a direction that I don't want to follow someday.  

I don't have a cluttered mailbox because I don't want to waste much needed NRA funds.

They are wasting the funds, not me.

Don't be lazy - just call them up or go to the internet site as was advised earlier and put a stop to it.

I didn't ask them to send me these mailings and I don't feel like I should have to ask them to stop.

IMHO YMMV
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
If you're getting donation requests that you don't want cluttering up your mailbox, all you have to do is ask them to stop sending them to you.  PLEASE do that - that's MY (and other members') money being spent to deliver things that are being put to waste.

I'm a Life Member because I believe it counts.  

I don't have a cluttered mailbox because I don't want to waste much needed NRA funds.

Don't be lazy - just call them up or go to the internet site as was advised earlier and put a stop to it.

The part in red, yes and no-

I receive mailings asking for $$ for the NRA, NRA/ILA etc but I also receive "program mailings endorsed by the NRA"

This includes everything from self defense insurance @ $150+/- a year to cancer insurance, health/death insurance, injury insurance, autombile break down insurance, ermergency medical transportation insurance. etc.et.etc.etc.et.etc.etc.et.etc.etc.et.etc.etc.et.etc.etc.et.etc.etc.et.etc.etc.et.etc.etc.

It seems the NRA is only in second behind the US government for social programs.

I recently just purchased a Life Membership for $400 through their Legion of Honor offer.  Apparently this is a "distinguished service" limited offer or something. I paid cause it's a great deal.

After I get the life membership, I'll be sure to tell them to limit the mailings to me but I assume the "endorsed plan" crap will continue to roll in as it's private entities sending those mailings out. (Hence no cost to the NRA and I'm sure those entities have paid for the addresses and information.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:28:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Ok, ok, I'll contact them. Just please don't call me apathetic anymore!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Hm. Are you a life member?

I've never gotten a request for money...

That worked for me...Life members get a break! Hell send them the money once and they wont have to keep bugging the shit out of you all the time to step up for freedom!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I have the credit card, they get a percentage based on how much I use it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top