Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/2/2004 11:29:49 AM EDT
I'm currently packing to run away from Frances.  I am taking lots of guns because I'm afraid they won't be here when I get back if I don't.  It has gotten me thinking though.  If you could ensure that all of your other guns would be there when you came back, what would you take with you?  I'm thinking a rifle and a handgun, and ammo/mags for each.

What rifle?
How many mags for it?
How much ammo for it?
What handgun?
How many mags for it?
How much ammo for it?

would all of your ammo for both guns be in mags?

Bonus question:
What knife?

Remember, this is not the end of the world.  It's just about being prepared for wherever you go, and being prepared for your return.   Saying something like "all the guns and all the ammo" isn't rational since you still have to have room for extra clothes, pets, kids, wives, whatever.  You know, the rest of your life.  You're also not fleeing off into the wilderness, you're going to a hotel or a family/friend's house.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd take my:

Bushmaster 16" SLW setup

12 mags

2 cases of ammo

Kimber Pro Carry CDP II

12 mags

1 case of ammo

No, ammo cans.

Knife - Kershaw Blackout
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#2]
AR-15 (Bushy carbine) with 11 mags and 500 rounds of ammo.

Springfield XD with 2 mags and 100 rounds of ammo.

No, some ammo in mags some in can.

Springfield M6 Scout Knife.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:35:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe I need to be more clear.  We're talking about leaving for a couple of days, and then coming back.  NOT The End Of The World As We Know It.  Just a little hiatus from every day life, and possibly having to protect against looters when you return.  Not hordes of the undead.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:35:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#5]
[picturing norman74 pushing a shopping cart topped off with a DSA FAL]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Rifle:
Bushy 20"

10mags (30rounders)

500 rounds M193

Pistol:
SIG P226 (40S&W)  w/light

5mags

200 rounds hollowpoint

Mags loaded for both guns

Knife:
S&W Swat 3" folder and a Leatherman

Remember, this is not the end of the world.

Good, because if it was the end of the world I don't see any reason to bother driving around with a bunch of ammo.  Might as well just find a beautiful woman and spend the end of the world in the naked pretzel.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Maybe I need to be more clear.  We're talking about leaving for a couple of days, and then coming back.  NOT The End Of The World As We Know It.  Just a little hiatus from every day life, and possibly having to protect against looters when you return.  Not hordes of the undead.

That said, I stand by my original answer!

"You can never be too handsome, you can never be too rich, and you can never be too well armed!"
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Umm....Wives?

Remember, this is not the end of the world.  It's just about being prepared for wherever you go, and being prepared for your return.   Saying something like "all the guns and all the ammo" isn't rational since you still have to have room for extra clothes, pets, kids, wives, whatever.  You know, the rest of your life.  You're also not fleeing off into the wilderness, you're going to a hotel or a family/friend's house.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Once, you stated that you don't collect, and only have things you use.  Thus, I suspect you don't have a ton of stuff.  Take ALL the guns, and whatever ammo you want.  You don't have to take any ammo even.  Why?  Because your insurance policy probably has a very low coverage amount on firearms.  You stand to lose the most by losing them.  

Remember that if your pad gets wrecked, you will not be allowed back for a while.  It's part of the danger of evacuating, and you can't guarantee that someone who didn't go won't break in or loot.  When Fran hit NC some years ago, the damage was substantially magnified because people were not allowed back for 2 weeks, and their stuff was open to the elements.  What could have been saved, often became unusable.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:51:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:58:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Wiggy so far is the only one that seems to be living in reality.  I'm about to haul ass, (down to the keys ) and I'm taking alot of extra shit.

In light of the packing I just did to get everything into the truck, I think in the future I'd take:

The M4gery with an ACOG and possibly a light(I don't own the acog or light yet)
The Kimber Series I
My Benchmade Nimravus

I think I'd take approx. 6 mags for the AR, and possibly 4 for the 1911.  All of that should fit in one "Assault Rifle Case" and should be manageable when loading other irreplace-ables in and out of the vehicle.

Given what I have on hand and currently own, I'd probably actually take the DSA as Dolomite mentioned simply because optics or not I can shoot the piss out of that gun.  I'd still only take 6 mags, so it would cut down on my total number of rounds, but they'd be much harder hitting and much more accurate rounds.

And no, I don't collect, which is what allowed me to put all of my valuable firearms into two rifle cases.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#13]
AR with 7 mags. A full bandolier in the pack, and 2k rounds in the vehicle. A spare pump gun with 100 buck, 300 bird, and 50 slugs in the vehicle. Two pistols, one service w/ three mags and 300 extra rounds, one pocket with 100 rounds. One .22 rifle and .22 pistol, 2k rounds.

If in big game hunting or bear country one 30/06 or .300 win mag with 200 rounds.

That should get your through anything that a firearm needs to do.

Knifes:

K-Bar or SRK
Pocket knife
Leatherman tool
Skinning tool and bone saw

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#14]
knife
shotgun
22 rimfire
AR
Sig P220
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I will take my BO bag (water filter, fist aid kit, radio etc)

1 case of MREs and 1 case of water (in basement)

I will take the M4 and 2 AK (one for each son), ammo briefcase (10 AR mags 6 AK mags) also ammo can with 500rd 5.56 and 7.62 ( I would have more but I have been shooting alot)

I wil also take the 5 gal fuel can from the basement along wth the laptop just in case I get to a place with phone line/internet conection. Also I will take the camera because what would an apocolypse be without pics

Everything else will have to be aquired on the was to my Father in laws place back home if nessasary.

Indeed this sounds like alot of things but everthing here can be loaded in less than 10 mins as it sits in my basement ready to go. If I bug out I do not want to regret leaving something behind.

If I have less than 10 Mins I grab weapons and ammo.
 FREE

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
In light of the packing I just did to get everything into the truck, I think in the future I'd take:

The M4gery with an ACOG and possibly a light(I don't own the acog or light yet)
The Kimber Series I
My Benchmade Nimravus

I think I'd take approx. 6 mags for the AR, and possibly 4 for the 1911.  All of that should fit in one "Assault Rifle Case" and should be manageable when loading other irreplace-ables in and out of the vehicle.

For your description (where you know you'll be coming back - and your certain of the security of the stuff you leave behind), IMHO 6 mags is about the max I would consider; 2-4 would be more reasonable (1 in the firearm and either 1 for my belt mag holder or 3 for my chest harness); 2 magazines for my pistol (3 tops).

My LW Carbine (with light and EO Tech) - the Compact ACOG would be in a pouch in the case.
Handgun would be my Glock 19
Knife would definately be my Kershaw Blackout.

Rifle would be in a low profile type of case (26" tool box, guitar case etc).
Hangun would be carried CCW.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Some of you guys are packing extremely heavy.
My BOB is mostly quick use, emergency stuff (water, fire, first aid, food, clothing, shelter),
but on the sides, I've got two USGI ammo pouches loaded with 6 x30rnds Q3131A.  I've also got my pistol belt with my SIG P226, 5 x 15rnd mags, a SureFire Nitrolon G2 and a knife.  Personally, if I need more ammo than that, it's a lot bigger than a hurricane.  Oh, and the knife is a Cold Steel SRK.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#18]
BM M4gery w/Surefire, 9 loaded (XM193) 30rd mags in Blackhawk LBE, 500rds in stripper clips in ammocan.

Glock 23 w/Glock Light and 6 mags (Clinton Mags now) loaded w/180JHP.

16 liters of water.

A Katadyn water filter.

$300 cash.

An Ontario Mk3 Diver's Knife.

A Swiss E-Tool.

My rain suit.

A British surplus summer weight sleeping bag.

My Jeep Cherokee.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I guess  you have to consider whether  your guns will be safer in your safe or in your car or wherever you go. I don't have enough guns, so they all fit in my vehicle. I would bring all of mine and a few hundred rounds of ammo. Other than that, the most expensive ones, the handguns, and of course the AR. Other expensive on uninsured stuff (computers, jewelry, cash, cameras), camping gear, water jug, prescriptions.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#20]
16" AR with EOTech or Aimpoint
16 30 round mags (13 in ammo can with spare ammo)
1 Beta C
1 extra ammo can full of Q3131A on strippers

Kimber Gold Match with night sights in sholder rig w/3 loaded mags
3 other loaded mags
200 rounds of .45acp

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#21]
For a couple of days, My 20" HBAR and two ammo cans of ammo and 8 20 round mags.  Also my Colt Combat Commander, 5 Wilson mags, 4 Colt mags and 200 rounds ammo.  M9 Bayonet.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#22]
For just a few days, just my S&W M410 .40 and my trusty Benchmade 154CM.
One mag is enough for a weekend...how many people do I plan to shoot on a weekend getaway?

Now, if im stuck in the storm affected area, and I anticipate looting....well then...Bushy M4gery, a pack of loaded 30rnd mags and a few pounds of nice jerky.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I guess this little storm may illustrate the advantage of having a sturdy safe to some.

Me, I'd just take a sidearm, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#24]
A GPS so you can find where your house used to be
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:18:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Bushmaster A2 carbine

10 mags=300 rds

if i had a handgun? a good M-1911A1
5 mags; 35 rds

yes; loose ammo is annoying and noisy

K-Bar, full size clip point
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#26]
M1A, most definately.
7 mags
2000 rounds-damn this trip is getting heavy
5 mags
300 rounds
Knife:  hmmm, this is a tough one. Since its not the end of the world, i would have to say my benchmade stryker.

The way i see it, if i have to resort to using my knife to kill, or survive, im fucked anyway.

Hey, this sounds like fun.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Darn! Are you guys 'bugging out for a few days' or going to war?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:25:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Take the weapons, leave most of the ammo. Ammo is cheaper to replace. Your weapons could get in the wrong hands if stolen and used in crime.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:49:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Lots of people being excessive here. For me, the MAX would be:

M4gery with 4 spare mags in CQB thigh rig
Glock 27 with 2 spare mags carried CCW
Leatherman Wave

Other than that, food, water, clothing, car BOB, blankets, kids and cats. Might take the wife too, but not right now as she is persona non grata with me this week (she has PMS, we had words).
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Lots of people being excessive here. For me, the MAX would be:

M4gery with 4 spare mags in CQB thigh rig
Glock 27 with 2 spare mags carried CCW
Leatherman Wave

Other than that, food, water, clothing, car BOB, blankets, kids and cats. Might take the wife too, but not right now as she is persona non grata with me this week (she has PMS, we had words).

Like me. you cant have enough ammo. Plus what if SHTF?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:04:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:08:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Like me. you cant have enough ammo. Plus what if SHTF?

Stuff is Hitting the fan - it's only a few days it's not TEOTEAWKI.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#33]
There's a gigantic hurricane coming and you're just worried about your guns?

BTW, are you taking the wife and kids with your guns?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Pretty much what everyone else has said plus firestarting items,fishing stuff and a small 5 band radio.And of course the family.Take care. Coondog
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Oh, you sick little monkey...

Quoted:
WWW.REALDOLL.COM

TXL

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Pistol: Beretta 92FS, 5 mags. Extra box of ammo. I'm in CA were carrying loaded magazines in a vehicle with a firearm it goes to is illegal, but I have a firearms open carry permit, so it is ok, so the mags would be loaded.

Knife: CRKT M16-14 Special Forces Tanto (the hilted blade with the fold lock mechanism.

I wouldn't take a rifle, I'm not going on the offense toward anybody.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

He was just asking about the guns.  If you bothered to read the first post he mentions only taking 1 longarm & handgun because he needs room for the important stuff (family, food, water, clothes etc).
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Colt AR-15, I have nothing against Bushies but I take what I have.
Kimber Ultra Carry II, super small 1911, I love that puppy.
Since my entire firearms collection is just 2 other 1911's I could take all my guns with me.
The only knives I own are of the kitchen type. Must stop at fun store for something better.

A few hundred rounds of .45 and .223 at most should be good enough.
I would be more worried about leaving my DVD collection behind then taking a lot of ammo.

No pets, no wife, so the computer goes with me too.
A couple days worth of clothes would be in order.
Cash.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He was just asking about the guns.  If you bothered to read the first post he mentions only taking 1 longarm & handgun because he needs room for the important stuff (family, food, water, clothes etc).

I was joking...
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#42]
my Bushy/RRA superlite with comp2, CZ p-01 9mm
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
WWW.REALDOLL.COM

TXL

$6499.00. That's insane.

Back in the 90's I spent a weekend in Amsterdam. For $6499.00 you could fly round trip and have more sex then you can shake a "stick" at for much less. Window shopping is just so much fun.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#44]
DON'T take any guns with you!!!  Havin guns on you will only encourage violence and mass shootings. Guns are bad. Give them to the police to have them disposed of safely.  Take a cell phone and call 911 if you are in danger. The police will assist you right away.  And if you are in danger of being hurt or looted,  don't resist, do whatever they tell you and you'll be "safe".  Good luck to you.  (These would be Susan's Brady's words of wisdom for you)
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:00:55 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
My .38 and my 10/22

[edited to add oh, sorry wrong account]

I knew it! I knew it!

Back to the thread:
I am so happy I don't live in hurricane country!
I will take my most expensive rifle, my M1A Scout w/ about 6 loaded mags.
My 870 with a box of buckshot and shells
My H&K Compact with the two mags I currently have.

I would want to get back to my home/guns as soon as possible.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Alright just addressing guns and ammo that I already own for a few days' stay at a hotel or friends/family's place:

- Glock 30 .45ACP with 4 mags (two of them 13-rounders from the G21). I can mostly conceal it in an around-the-house setting, it's reliable, it hits hard, it's accurate as hell and, even though I'm not big on "flash", that bi ol' muzzle in a squat, ugly package can be intimidating as hell.

- Bushy Shorty with 6 30-round mags. Ditto on the hard-hitting accuracy. Simply and easily breaks down into a discrete package (duffel bag, toolbox, etc.), "scary black rifle" factor, wife can shoot it well, too.

- Might throw in a few loose (yes, two "o"s) 20-round boxes of extra Q3131A but, on the whole, would carry topped-off mags. This isn't a trip to the range or a plinking session - the guns are staying hidden unless needed and, if needed, would be needed right fucking now.

I'm not much of a knife guy beyond basic utility stuff and would be content with the Leatherman Wave and Schrade folder in the BOB that lives in the truck full-time.

Good luck, brother!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:24:14 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
WWW.REALDOLL.COM

TXL

After seeing  I ASSHAT Robot (sorry, old habit ), that shit is just down right SCARY!!  
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#48]
food, toilet paper and deet
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
WWW.REALDOLL.COM

TXL

After seeing  I ASSHAT Robot (sorry, old habit ), that shit is just down right SCARY!!  

take the doll, combine it with that honda robot thing, and some ai, and you have the stepford wives

or the arfcom wives!

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#50]
*6 MRE's
*a couple canteens with drinking water
*RUGER PC9 9mm carbine with 6 - 20 rd mags & 200 rds of additional ammo
*1911A1 carried in GI tanker's holster and 100rds of ammo
*extra clothing
*important documents
*$1000 cash & credit cards
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top