Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2004 6:46:16 AM EDT
Was thinking about buying one of these safes, a local business here starting selling them a couple years ago,   Their made by Liberty Safe, which are Made in the USA , anyone have one ??  How do you like yours ?  
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:06:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one, I think it's a "24 gun" model. (That should be "rifles" but apparently their marketing doesn't grasp proper terminology) I like it but IIRC, the Freedom safe is only fire rated @ 1200 degrees for 20 minutes.  Other safes have longer/higher temp ratings.  I live in a house that would burn from one end to the other in 5-12 minutes so I think the 1200 deg/20min should be suitable.  The Fire Dept should be able to make it over and keep the safe cool if the ambers are still glowing after 14 minutes.

On another note, the safe I have may be able to hold "24 gun" but the only time I would ever be able to stuff 24 long guns in there is if they were all Winchester 94 lever actions. i,e,. straight sticks.  With ARs,Aks, shotguns with side saddles, Scoped rifles etc- I can get about 14-16 long guns in there & still have a little room for pictures and documents and a dozen or so pistols.  
(So maybe Liberty is spot on calling a 24 gun safe...)

I've had the safe for 3 years or so now.  Overall I'm satisfied with my purchase.  The fire lining did fall from the door frame as I usually have the safe open and in the recent hot weather the double sided sticky tape "melted" in the summer heat.  I reapplied double sided sticky tape and I'm good to go again.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:20:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I got a liberty safe this year and at the rate my collection is growing, will need another one soon.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:07:11 AM EDT
[#3]
M10KEN-

FWIW, mine is the Textured Granite finish.  I prefer this over the glossy finish but that's just MHO.  

Since I worked for the retailor at the time, I paid $600 for it- but that was deeply discounted AFAIK.  IIRC the regular price was $800 and the sale price would run $700.

Sly
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top