Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2004 5:46:42 AM EDT
Found this over at the muzzleloading forum .... interesting info (if you like muzzleloaders) ...

The Saga of the Blown Savage Model 10ML II

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:53:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I posted over there a lot last fall and winter, then lost interest when school started back.

<--loves his savage smokeless muzzleloader, but don't have time to play with it much anymore..

I've seen a blackpowder KB before.....2 pyrodex pellets, saboted bullet, 2 MORE pyrodex pelltes, ANOTHER bullet.........

Not a load I recommend.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:58:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:58:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've seen a blackpowder KB before.....2 pyrodex pellets, saboted bullet, 2 MORE pyrodex pelltes, ANOTHER bullet.........

I've just started becoming interested in my muzzleloaders again .... I think I will try and hunt with them this year ...

This is the forum I've been reading .... www.muzzleloadingforum.com

yeah, trying to shoot pyrodex pellets as projectiles aint good !

I have a TC Encore 209x50 and a TC Big Boar 58cal ... the latter being the heviest recoiling firearm I own. I use the 560gr TC bullets ...
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:01:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I posted over there a lot last fall and winter, then lost interest when school started back.

Not a load I recommend.

WTF is that GD stupid?

I hope the guy who's ML that was is okay, nasty pics.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:05:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not a load I recommend.

WTF is that GD stupid?

I saw one guy at the range shoot his ram-rod downrange ... LOL.

no-one was hurt and the muzzleloader was un-damaged also ....

can't be forgetful with these unforgiving firearms ....
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:13:15 AM EDT
[#6]
The savage can use smokeless powder! That is a accident waiting to happen(more prone to opperator error). I can see why his gun went KB.  Ill stick to my 50 cal TC Hawkins 120 grs of pyrodex is enough for me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:13:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not a load I recommend.

WTF is that GD stupid?

The muzzleloader was mine....my first Mk-85 knight...I still have it, but needless to say, it ain't what it used to be.......I sorely miss it.

Here's the story.....I had this uncle (he's dead now, cancer got him).

When he realized he was near the end, he packed up, left Florida, and moved home. He spent a lot of time with my Dad those last few years, and wasn't able to quail hunt, so they deer hunted a lot.

This uncle wan't really mechanically inclined, so to speak. Not a real gun-nut, either. He was an absentee florida voter in our last election, if you get my drift.....

So, one fall, during our first muzzleloader season, I came home one weekend....2 shots, 2 deer, then re-loaded my muzzleloader.

A month later, said muzzleloader has been loaded for a month, dirty, and the weather has ranged from wet to wetter. It isn't corroded.....but you get the idea.

So, one morning during our second muzzleloader season (TN splits blackpowder season) my uncle wants to go deer hunting, but my dad has some other obligation somewhere.

Well, bright and early, my uncle sees a pair of bucks, and decides to shoot one of them.

The muzzleloader (remember, it's been stored in less-than-perfect conditions) mis-fires.

My uncle, between ignorance and excitement, didn't know the difference between the cap going off, and the whole thing going off.

He reloads.

This time it goes off.

The stock (laminated) splits in half. The barrel split about 14" out from the breech, into 3 pieces. One of the pieces peeled completely off.

Nobody bothered to even see if the deer was hit.

My dad called me (I was at college) at the 6:30 that morning to tell me about it....after I got woke up, I ranted, raved, and was generally an unpleasant person for the rest of the day.

Luckily, nobody was hurt.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:15:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The savage can use smokeless powder! That is a accident waiting to happen(more prone to opperator error). I can see why his gun went KB.  Ill stick to my 50 cal TC Hawkins 120 grs of pyrodex is enough for me.

I have a savage. I love it. If you have half a brain, or more, it's very safe. ANd accurate. And fast.

Last fall it went Bang! twice in the field....2 shots, 2 deer slam-dunked at 95 and 185 yards.

10 years ago I never thought I'd have a muzzleloader who's first shot at game would find the mark at 185 yards.

I'm keeping this one.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:24:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a savage. I love it. If you have half a brain, or more, it's very safe. ANd accurate. And fast.

Last fall it went Bang! twice in the field....2 shots, 2 deer slam-dunked at 95 and 185 yards.

10 years ago I never thought I'd have a muzzleloader who's first shot at game would find the mark at 185 yards.

I'm keeping this one.

You using smokeless or black powder? In lines are cool (and have thought about getting one) but for Oregons ELK muzzleloader season (shared with the stick flickers) alot of them are a NO NO (closed actions/bolt). So are glow sights and scopes.  But the tag is for one elk (mommy or daddy). MMMMMMM Elk and shrooms.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:33:24 AM EDT
[#10]
See, come to ARFCOM and learn something new...

I thought that muzzle loaders were blackpowder/pyrodex only. I didn't know that they made ones that
you could use smokeless powder in. How long has that been around?

(Needless to say, I haven't been paying attention to BP firearms in a while. I have a cap & ball
revolver, but it's been gathering dust for several years now.....)
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:37:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm keeping this one.

You using smokeless or black powder? In lines are cool (and have thought about getting one) but for Oregons ELK muzzleloader season (shared with the stick flickers) alot of them are a NO NO (closed actions/bolt). So are glow sights and scopes.  But the tag is for one elk (mommy or daddy). MMMMMMM Elk and shrooms.

Smokless. Hodgdon 'lil gun.

This year, I'm gonna try Vhitavhouri 110. Supposedly less finicky.

Lil gun is waayyyyy too temperature-sensitive. Above 50 degrees, accuracy falls apart.

I wonder how sabots have evolved in the last 6 months.........
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:40:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
See, come to ARFCOM and learn something new...

I thought that muzzle loaders were blackpowder/pyrodex only. I didn't know that they made ones that
you could use smokeless powder in. How long has that been around?

(Needless to say, I haven't been paying attention to BP firearms in a while. I have a cap & ball
revolver, but it's been gathering dust for several years now.....)

smokeless m/l's are fairly new....just a couple years......last I saw, savage was the only company making them (there may be more now)

bear in mind that smokeless powder should NEVER be used in a rifle that isn't designed for it
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:43:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
(closed actions/bolt). So are glow sights and scopes.  But the tag is for one elk (mommy or daddy). MMMMMMM Elk and shrooms.

Not even glow sights??? hmmmm .... I like my old Big Boar better anyway ....
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:46:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Smokless. Hodgdon 'lil gun.

This year, I'm gonna try Vhitavhouri 110. Supposedly less finicky.

Lil gun is waayyyyy too temperature-sensitive. Above 50 degrees, accuracy falls apart.

I wonder how sabots have evolved in the last 6 months.........

I've tried the Triple seven pellets, and quite frankly, I enjoy the black powder better and I seem to be getting better accuracy from it. maybe I have not done enough testing ....  

I may go to traditional bullets in my 209x50 and I may ge back to patched balls in my 58 for deer. ... (the balls are 280gr )
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:50:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
(closed actions/bolt). So are glow sights and scopes.  But the tag is for one elk (mommy or daddy). MMMMMMM Elk and shrooms.

Nope traditional sights only (also no sabots). But if you use it during regular rifle season. Anything is a go (sights scopes sabots). But in that case Id use my 700 in 35 whelen.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:57:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope traditional sights only (also no sabots). But if you use it during regular rifle season. Anything is a go (sights scopes sabots). But in that case Id use my 700 in 35 whelen.

+ 1  ........ 338winmag Tikka here .....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top