Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2004 10:59:17 PM EDT
Since Ive been asked about Australia's gun laws a bit, and because some of you seem to think all guns are banned outright, ill edumacate you.

In Aus, all firearms require a license (if you can get one).  This includes anything from paintball guns to machine guns.  You need a legitimate reason to own one, and you must be able to prove that reason.  An example of a reason is "target shooting".  If your reason is "target shooting", you must be a member of a club which shoots the type of gun your license says you can shoot.  You must also attend a certain number of competitions each year, otherwise your license will be cancelled.

Some licenses are (IIRC, im not too sure with the semi auto licenses):

Class A:  Rimfire rifle.  Non repeatable action.  Mag capacity 10 rounds or less
B:  Centerfire rifle.  Non repeatable action.  Mag cap 10 rounds
C:  Rimfire rifle.  Semi auto or pump action.  Mag cap 10 rounds
D:  Centerfire rifle.  Semi auto or pump action.  Mag cap 10 rounds

H:  Pistol.  .38/9mm or less.  mag cap 10 rounds.
  -Semi auto barrel length 120mm or more
  -Revolver/single shot barrel length 100m or more
  -.45's can be used for "cowboy" tournaments and metallic silhouette shooting.  They can only be used at competitions, not even for practising.

To obtain a firearm you must:
-Get a firearms license:  1 or 2 months
-Get a safe which is of sufficient  thickness etc.
-Show the cops you have an appropriate safe: 1? month.  The cops will then give you this certificate thingy.
-Apply to the gun registration thingamabob to buy a gun.  You must provide a reason and evidence, as well as your thingy given to you by the cops:  1 month
-The gun registration thingy gives u a slip sayign you can buy a gun, and what type of gun.  They will knock back your request if you say you need a .300winmag to kill rabbits, and allow you to get a .22LR, so dont over request.
-When you get the slip, you have to wait 1 month before purchasing a gun.

I know ive left stuff out but I dont remember.  If you have any questions, ask away, but im not sure on some stuff which doesnt concern me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:06:36 PM EDT
[#2]
WHo cares?

It ain't the USA...fuck them

SGtar15
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:06:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Those are bad, compared to here I basicly just need money and since I have a CCW I dont have to be called in.

So what kind of  "need" would you put froth for a MG?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:07:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
WHo cares?

SGtar15

Remember if some poeple had thier way it could end up like that here (or worse)
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:07:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:08:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:08:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How do the criminals in AUS go about establishing need for a gun,

Much the same as here in Britain, the law abiding have to jump through hoops, the bad guys just tool themselves up with whatever takes their fancy… fucking governments

ANdy
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:10:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I guess that leaves out my favorite "need" for buying a gun "because I can". How about this for a "need", "because I want one"? The only permission I need to buy a gun comes from my wife, and I have been known to violate this requirement when I am feeling a bit bold. How do the criminals in AUS go about establishing need for a gun, do they have to prove they are a practicing car jacker or something? Are the exempt from having to buy a proper safe?

Criminals dont buy guns legally, which totally negates the gun laws.  Fuckers bring them in illegally.

Can you own AR15's? What about Handguns?

You can own an AR15 if you have the appropriate license.   Same with handguns.

To own an AR15, you would probably have to be a professional hunter or something akin.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:10:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
WHo cares?

SGtar15

I didn't know this board was just for American residents.

It isn't...but it should be.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:12:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I saw a movie on TV the other day where one of the characters said,

"This is America.  All you need to get a gun is a driver's license and some cash.  Anyone can buy an arsenal on their lunch break."

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:14:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Your laws are like my nightmares.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#12]
are you a licensed gun owner? what kind of guns have you fired?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:15:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Your laws are like my nightmares.

Thing is, they are nothing compared to what some other countries have.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:17:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:17:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
WHo cares?

SGtar15

We dont have to...

as long as the slaves citizens of Australia are willing to let their Govt. enslave them, then they are getting what they want.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:17:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
WHo cares?

SGtar15

Who died and made you mayor dickhead?
SGtar15

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:20:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
WHo cares?

SGtar15

SGtar15

Who died and made you mayor dickhead?

Pain and drugs makes some people irritable.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:21:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Criminals dont buy guns legally, which totally negates the gun laws.  Fuckers bring them in illegally.

Where the hell are they going to bring them in from, For goodness sake, your country is a island!..

Does your country not screen incoming flights and the baggage/packages entering the country?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:23:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
This thread has me thinking about criminals in general the world over, and how thier lives compare to mine.

Take a criminal in a very restrictive country (when it comes to gun ownership) such as England, and yet the criminals, if thier good at what they do, they live in nice homes, drive nice cars, get to own machine guns, have plasma TVs in thier icebox according to cribs. Me, I drive either a 95 Dodge Neon or a 92 Ford Ranger, have a mediocre house in a working class neighborhood, and have a stinking post ban AR15, I am very good at my job, served in the military, make sure my kids go to school everyday, and all of the other "law abiding" stuff. What am I doing wrong here? Compared to  a good criminal my life sucks, I know what you are thinking, "but the criminal can go to jail" well so could I, all it will take is a local cop to decide to drop a bag of contraband in my car during a traffic stop or whatever (and where I live that is far more likely to happen than the popo ever catching a real criminal).

Correct on that.

The reason is alot of people take that bit of risk and know the right people.  Its like running a business in a way.  Someone can cookup Meth if they have the right stuff, sell it for a hell of alot of money when it cost them nothing.

The difference between them and you/me is they take that chance and know the people who will help them get thier product to market.  

But dont expect to see me down on  3rd street selling rocks Friday.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:24:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:28:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where the hell are they going to bring them in from, For goodness sake, your country is a island!..

Does your country not screen incoming flights and the baggage/packages entering the country?

They smuggle them in, the same way people smuggle in drugs and other illegal stuff.  Sometimes they do a runner with boats, something like the way they smuggle asylum seekers.  Sometimes they just hide it in shipping containers and the like.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:29:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
-Show the cops you have an appropriate safe: 1? month.  The cops will then give you this certificate thingy.
-Apply to the gun registration thingamabob to buy a gun.  You must provide a reason and evidence, as well as your thingy given to you by the cops:  1 month
-The gun registration thingy gives u a slip sayign you can buy a gun, and what type of gun.  They will knock back your request if you say you need a .300winmag to kill rabbits, and allow you to get a .22LR, so dont over request.

So if I added correctly it takes approximately 5 months from the time you decide to purchase a gun to the time when you can have your bullethose in your hand.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:45:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So if I added correctly it takes approximately 5 months from the time you decide to purchase a gun to the time when you can have your bullethose in your hand.

Depends.  Takes about that long or more to get a pistol.  TO get a rifle, if you're very lucky it will take 2 months minimum.  It always takes a while for paperwork to get through.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:57:33 PM EDT
[#24]
So, if your name is correct, what type of reason did you need to give to get a .50 cal?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:07:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:15:14 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
So, if your name is correct, what type of reason did you need to give to get a .50 cal?

I dont have one.

Im not sure if you can get a .50.  You better have a damn good reason to get a .50!  I dont think there are any .50 shooting competitions here, but you could try and get one to hunt big game.

Isn't that just about the same as a total ban?

Nope.  It stops alot of "homies" and "gangbangers" from getting guns.  The type who arent criminal enough to get a gun illegally,  but criminal enough to use a firearm for crimes, or simply the people who want a gun to look cool and shizznit.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:18:31 AM EDT
[#27]
so are you in support of your gun laws?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:20:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:43:52 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Nah, any time you ban something it becomes much easier to get on the blackmarket. If the wannabe's know where to get dope they know where to get guns, the same source. They are smuggled by the same people through the same channels. Here in the US where weed has been banned since the thirties it is easier to get pot than it was when it was legal.

The reason it makes it easier to acquire a weapon on the black market . Is because the Ban itself creates the demand . Here in the US , the government learned it's lesson with prohibition , and it's slowly learning it with the war on drugs .

Not to steal the thread , but billions spent fighting the war on drugs and zero victory's isn’t a great record . Legalize and tax the shit out of them , reversing the cash flow of the whole thing would more then cover  enforcement , rehab and treatment programs . Along with removing the allure of disobedient action that draws many young people into it .

Flame suit on , but before you fire .... Answer one question :

If drugs were legal . Would you use them ?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:50:43 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nah, any time you ban something it becomes much easier to get on the blackmarket. If the wannabe's know where to get dope they know where to get guns, the same source. They are smuggled by the same people through the same channels. Here in the US where weed has been banned since the thirties it is easier to get pot than it was when it was legal.

The reason it makes it easier to acquire a weapon on the black market . Is because the Ban itself creates the demand . Here in the US , the government learned it's lesson with prohibition , and it's slowly learning it with the war on drugs .

Not to steal the thread , but billions spent fighting the war on drugs and zero victory's isn’t a great record . Legalize and tax the shit out of them , reversing the cash flow of the whole thing would more then cover  enforcement , rehab and treatment programs . Along with removing the allure of disobedient action that draws many young people into it .

Flame suit on , but before you fire .... Answer one question :

If drugs were legal . Would you use them ?

Not all drugs are illegal.  Some are OTC.  Some require a prescription.  Some are illicit.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:36:35 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
so are you in support of your gun laws?

Im support having only people who will not use guns for wrongdoing owning guns, but I do not support the way our govt is carrying it out.  

I think they are too damn tight and punish only the law abiding people, not the criminals.

Therefore I do not support the laws, but I support keeping guns out of the hands of dickwads, which is what they are trying to do.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:04:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I for one enjoy having some foreigners around the site, as long as they aint smart ass Canucks (polite Canuks are OK). Having folks from outside our own borders comment on issues such as gun control provides great insight into our own plight, and reminds us that for the most part gun control in other countries started much the same as it has here, and for the same reasons.

Thanks you Lightening_P38!

What a lot of people on this board do not realize is that 'Total Gun Control' only came to Britain and Australia quite recently. We are about 20 years down the road in Britain and a lot less in Australia. It's a creeping disease that gets you slowly… gun registration is the tool that permits it, you do not have it yet, but if some future administration manages to enact it. then add in a few massacres at schools and the like, and the Politicians could start down the same road… use the lessons of what happened to us to keep yourselves vigilant!

ANdy
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:07:28 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I saw a movie on TV the other day where one of the characters said,

"This is America.  All you need to get a gun is a driver's license and some cash.  Anyone can buy an arsenal on their lunch break."

Am I the only person who hears Handel's Messiah in the background when he reads that?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:33:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Thanks Fiftycalibre for the info. That actually cleared up quite a bit for me. thanks again. Take care. Coondog
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:43:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:51:39 AM EDT
[#36]
You know what REALY worries me about gun control as practised in UK and Australia?  …The comments of this gentleman back in 1935

BERLIN DAILY 15th April 1935
This year will go down in history.
For the first time a civilised nation has full gun registration.
The street will be safer, the police more efficient and the world will follow our lead into the future.

It was a  pronouncement by……Adolf Hitler

ANdy
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:17:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for the info. That's what's nice about having some international guys on the board - you can learn about how other countries screw their gun owners.

How are the self-defense laws? If you have jumped through the hoops and gotten a gun, what will they do if you shoot an intruder? Assuming that he's the usual criminal type with a nice long record.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info. That's what's nice about having some international guys on the board - you can learn about how other countries screw their gun owners.

How are the self-defense laws? If you have jumped through the hoops and gotten a gun, what will they do if you shoot an intruder? Assuming that he's the usual criminal type with a nice long record.

Here in Britain it's a no-no! You WILL get charged and have a  100% ending up in jail even if the other guy is armed with a knife etc, and has a record. If he has a gun and shoots at you you have a defence, but that's the only way you could use a firearm.

ANdy
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#39]
You guys have gangbangers?  Ive been to Perth and didnt see any there.  I do remember in the 80's there was a group of hells angels that got into it in Queensland or something.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:45:45 AM EDT
[#40]
That gun laws aren't as bad here as they are other places isn't the point.  There's no reason our country should ever reach the same point as England, Australia, etc.  And it won't.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:45:51 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I know ive left stuff out but I dont remember.  If you have any questions, ask away, but im not sure on some stuff which doesnt concern me.

The last big firearms theft "down under" I can recall.... was where thugs stole a cache of weapons from a safe.... a safe that was in a police station.... HeHEHEHE
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Hmmm.....

License required in MA and IL?

"Sporting Purpose" clause of '68 GCA.....

It's not too much of a stretch to the Aussie laws.  Don't get cocky.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:18:09 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
BERLIN DAILY 15th April 1935
This year will go down in history.
For the first time a civilised nation has full gun registration.
The street will be safer, the police more efficient and the world will follow our lead into the future.

Unfortunately, that quote is bogus, althought I'm sure Hitler would have approved of the message:  www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcbogus.html
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:46:54 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Self defense is only an option if you have no other choice and you are in immediate danger.  If you dont want to go to jail, you need to prove it too.  Using guns for self defense is a VERY big nono.  Legally, you are supposed to run if you are attacked because the law sees humans, nomatter who they are or what they are doing, as more valuable than property.  

My friend's Karatae master dude guy was attacked by 2 people and he beat the shit out of them.  He was then charged.

You guys have gangbangers? Ive been to Perth and didnt see any there. I do remember in the 80's there was a group of hells angels that got into it in Queensland or something.

Yes, we do.  Every country has them.  You prob didnt go where they were.  Today I saw many.  Some have been dubbed by myself and some others as "The Fubu Krew", due to their wearing of Fubu brand clothing.

A while ago, 2 bikie gangs got into a shootout either in my state or South Australia or something.  It was between the Bandidos and some other gang.  My father has patients who took part in it, and they have even offered to beat up people who did my dad wrong.  IIRC one of them spent time in jail for murder or something.

The last big firearms theft "down under" I can recall.... was where thugs stole a cache of weapons from a safe.... a safe that was in a police station.... HeHEHEHE

When was that?  I remember a security company's safe being robbed, and someone who lived a few km's away who was prob in the same pistol club as me got his safe stolen too.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:48:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Hi all,
I thought Canada had tought firearms laws, Australia has us beat!

Things are pretty similar.  

We have non-restricted (lever, pump or bolt rifles, some semi-auto rifles, and shotguns), restricted (other semi-auto rifles) and prohibited (fullauto or REALLY evil looking).  

Only people who had prohibited weapons when the ban was in place can aquire or own them.  And when they die, they cannot be grandfathered.

We have to have every firearm registered to be legal, we also have to have a safe place to store them (like a save or secure room).

Getting a restricted firearms licence involved, a hunters safety course, a non-restricted firearms course, a restricted firearms course, 3 written tests and 2 practical tests and a background check.  Like Australia, we have to belong to a club before we can aquire a restricted firearm.

We also have to have a firearms licence to buy ANY ammunition.  

It is possible to own an AR-15, I have one, but it can only be shot at a rifle range, and cannot be used for hunting.  Apparently it is too evil.  If you want to hunt you can use an AR-10 or an SKS, but not that EVIL AR-15.  For semi or full auto rifle mags must be pinned to 5 rounds, pistol mags are limited to 10 rounds.  If you get caught with a full capacity magazine, be prepared to lose all your firearms.

One of the other laws is that we need to get permission to transport a restricted firearm every time we transport it.  We can usually get a year long ATT (Authorization To Transport) for the range associated with our club.  But if I want to go shoot at a different range, I need to call and apply for an ATT with the dates, times, location and duration of the trip, and the serial number of the firearm(s) I want to take.  They will mail or fax a ATT that outlines the time you are allowed to transport.  If you were to get caught transporting without a valid ATT, be prepared to lose all your firearms.

Gun crime in Canada was very low before these laws came into effect.  This has not changed, it is not worse, and is not better.  The criminals still have illegal weapons.  Few Canadians, including police, feel that the 2 billion spent on the gun registry could not have been better spent on more police or better funding for police.

From the great white north.

Dez
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top