Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2004 10:24:21 PM EDT
The US has two political parties.  Simple fact, deal with it.  Which party is most closely aligned with your beliefs?  What’s more important, which party would you most like to change?  How would you change it?  Will you be able to change it from the inside or out?

Joining a political party does not dictate your political views, your vote or whom you support, but it does give you a voice in the party.  For years, at the caucus, when they asked “Are there any petitions from the delegates?”, I would stand and respond “I petition the Democratic Party to remove the gun control plank from the platform”.  At first I was met with stunned silence and ridicule.  Lately, I have had seconds and discussions.  Even though the National Party has moved further left, locally the Democrats are moderate and even conservative.  If you research our CCW law, you will find it was co-sponsored in the House by a Democrat.

Gun control is a voting issue for me, a litmus test.  If neither party supports gun control, I can focus on other important issues and make my choice among representatives who support MY FUNDAMENTAL ISSUE.  Until that time, I have the privilege of returning the Democratic postage paid envelopes with a simple note “I will neither support monetarily or vote for any candidate that favors restricting my Second Amendments RIGHTS.”  When I publicly or privately support a candidate, I inform them that their stance on gun control is the reason for the support.

Does that make me a DINO?  Not really.  Like most Americans, my views vary from liberal to conservative based upon the issue, my upbringing, my experience, my thoughts and feelings.  On most political tests, I am rated somewhere between a mild conservative to a libertarian.  IMHO, voting libertarian rarely represents a protest against a conservative party.  What it DOES do is aid liberal agendas especially regarding gun control.  And though I respect those who only vote their principles, I vote for the candidate that will do the best to support my children’s Second Amendment rights.  Occasionally, that means that I hold my nose when I vote. “Do it for the children.”

I supported Bush in 2000 and I will again in 2004 because the Democrats still favor more restrictions on the Second Amendment than the Republicans.  For now.

SRM
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:28:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm right there with ya'.

Also get to vote in the Democratic party primary.

I'm probably the rightest leaning Democrat in California.

Everyone thinks that I'm a Republican.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#2]
so basically you are a republican who is registered as a democrat.....
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:32:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
so basically you are a republican who is registered as a democrat.....

Well, no.

I am pro choice.

Edited to add that we shouldn't hijack this.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:35:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup, to vote in Democrat primarys.  That is where you can do the most damage, or help, depending on how you see things.  Vote for the weakest candidate.

How would you like to have seen Jerry Brown run against Bush in the GENERAL election where it counts?  You don't have to vote the party's ticket in the general election.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#5]
As long as my rights are respected and my money is MY money, then let freedom reign. If you want to talk about health care, reverse the trade balance, we're already paying for everybody else's.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:41:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I lost my job with Bush 41.  I voted for Klinton because he concentrated more on the economy more than Bush 41 did.

That was the last time I voted for Mr. Blue Dress and any Democrap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top