Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Yipe!  I'd have asked him to ship the rifle back to the distributor, or just sit on it with his thumb up his ass until he can sell it on consignment.  What a prick!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:26:00 PM EDT
[#2]
since im in ohio i don't really know about your tax laws but .  contact the state about that sales tax the gun was already paid for so by law he can't collect sales tax on it only tax he can collect is from the price of the transfere thats what i had to do with an old ffl transfer i had once.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:27:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you get a kiss too?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#4]
So you pay dues to get screwed like that? Where do I sign up?

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh well, Pittsburgh is now off the list of places to live
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#6]
He should've asked up from what are all of the associated charges etc. I must admit it is a bit excessive.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:42:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never paid more than $20 for a transfer ...
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Was  that Tex?  Can't believe it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I pay $30 including the background check. $147 is more than excessive. It is insane.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've never paid more than $20 for a transfer ...

Ditto  only a tard would go through with that deal for certain
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Why the hell would he go ahead and pay the guy???
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:58:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Use this place, they only charge 20 dollars per transfer.  There located in Pittsburgh, well actually Plum

Ultimatre outdoors
2780 Golden Mile Hwy., Rt .286
Plum Boro, PA 15239
(plum ridge center)
(724) 733-2121
ask for Tim Cherok
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Did they at least wear a condom?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#14]
...If a FFL dealer actually tried to charge me $147 for a transfer, I'd tell him I hope they like the feel of cold steel up their ass because they can go fuck themselves.

I would never pay more than $25.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Did they at least wear a condom?

And/Or have the courtesy to give a reach around?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Was  that Tex?  Can't believe it.

I would bet it is the divorce that Tex is going through, but either way, it sounds like he shafted you.

We have a few members here who might have some pull with him though, your best bet is to drop PeteG a message about it, he runs the FIRE institute who uses the club (and pays TEx good money for the privilege), he is also a lawyer in your area (specializes in firearms law to boot) and one of the best guys yuo will talk to.  Slimeball and  tonyf might also have some sway with Tex.

Hope it works out for you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Any man that does this to a gun owner doesn't deserve free air, reasoning, respect, or any of the other refined life amentities that exist.

Personally, I wish to travel to the store and call him a fraud... but that's me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#18]
that sucks, I know how it is trying to talk to someone about something when they are clearly wrong but they wont budge on there stubborn stand on the issue.   Good luck in getting this resovled
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:01:51 PM EDT
[#19]
A couple of points:

Before I got further explanation of Tex's fee structure I wondered if he was overcharging me in particular. I have subsequently found out that $15 + 6% sales tax + 10% club costs is his standard rate. So I do not feel this was personal.

That being said, let's say that Tex is correct in charging sales tax on a weapon I pre-paid an out-of-state dealer...

This still means that Tex/GPGC charges $15 + 10%. On a $1200 rifle, that is $135.00.

This also means, hypothetically speaking, that every other dealer/FFL around here is doing it wrong.

What I want people to know is that Tex Freund/GPGC charges $15 + 10% (or 5% if a member) + 6% sales tax on FFL transfers from an out-of-state dealer.

In my conversation I posed the same question to Tex as one of the above posters asked: How do you know what I payed? This gave Tex pause yet again as he began mentioning "paperwork with the gun."

I told him the only reason he saw that paperwork was because I let him. The only reason he knows what I paid for the rifle is because in my honesty I told him. How would he know if I bought from a dealer or a private individual? He couldn't really answer this question.

I enjoy shooting at GPGC, it has become one of my favorite hobbies. I paid the initial membership fee of $100 and then twice paid the $35 yearly fee(reasonable IMO). I always pay before I shoot and usually bring a non-member friend as well. Many times I buy targets and ammo. So I understand that a business needs to make money, but he is making money. I also understand that the FFL transfer fee itself is taxable. We all know this.

I never had a problem with Tex personally and I respected his ranges. He is a gruff guy and that is fine, aren't we all. But he overcharges for FFL transfers.

Put it this way: if Tex is so proud of his ethical business practices and fair pricing, he should be thanking me for all of this free advertising.

Greater Pittsburgh Gun Club charged me $147.00 for an FFL transfer.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:04:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Holy mackerel, that IS insane. That's what I'd expect to pay if I asked my FFL to BUY the weapon on his CC for me 1st!! Actually, he charges 10%. Otherwise, $10.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Sounds like when a place wanted to get me for $2500 on a class 3 transfer.  

I always ask price beforehand on anything like that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Should have left him with a gun on his hands and a vivid picture of your disappearing ass to treasure forever. The guy is a thief. The buyer, however, was a cooperating victim.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Only ten bucks here at the local pawn shop, God I love small towns!
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Should have left him with a gun on his hands and a vivid picture of your disappearing ass to treasure forever. The guy is a thief. The buyer, however, was a cooperating victim.

I accept the responsibility of not knowing what the final price was going to be. I made that mistake because I was a member and figured that I would be taken care of. I also know what the "usual" price is for the average FFL transfer.

Frankly I was stunned at the time and was starting to see red - not a good combination. I wanted to get the rifle and get out of there, so I paid and went to talk to some people about it to make sure I wasn't imagining things.

I am not crying victim, but I will exercise my Constitutional right of free speech to spread the word about how much this guy charges for this service. Hopefully this will prevent others in the future from being overcharged. It is also a reminder to make sure that you know everything up front pricewise.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Oh well, Pittsburgh is now off the list of places to live

While you're at it cross off Philly too.....
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:33:14 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The issue isn't what he charges for the transfer; he can charge whatever he wants, and you can choose to pay it or not.  The issue is that he charged to collect sales tax on a sale he didn't make.  That's illegal.

-Troy

That depends. Did you know that in California you are legally required to send the state sales tax on all mail order purchases? Almost nobody pays it, but that's the law. The only item the state is usre to get you on are cars. You have to register with the state and then they will decide if you purchased the car out of state to avoid California tax.  

I ran into this a couple of times living in California. Once was buying a gun. My FFL never charged sales tax when doing a private party transfer, but did when I ordered a new rifle from a wholesaler. He referenced state law and I called the state to verify.  The transaction ocurred in the early 1990s

I'm assuming several other states have similar laws.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top