Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2004 4:52:03 PM EDT
Alright, you only have $1K to your name and a bus ticket to wherever you want to go (in the lower 48 states that is) with no place to sleep or job to go to lined up for you.  What city/town would you choose to go to?  remember, you only have $1,000 so you need to consider real estate prices, the job market and transportation (if you rent a house out in the country you can't walk to work).  Where would you go?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Does this assume no obligations either? I have no place lined up to sleep ... can I arrange one, such as crashing at a friend place?

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:54:50 PM EDT
[#2]
New Hampshire or Vermont. In Vermont, in particualr, good help is hard to find. Shitheads are easy to find.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't matter where you wind up, either you are the type of person who lands on his feet, or you are not.  It is as simple as that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#4]
When I went to school, I rented a place about 10 minutes drive into the sticks for $185/month, in southern IL.  $1k in cash would buy me food and rent for at least 3 months free and clear, as well as a $60 walmart bicycle to get to work until I got more established.

Being a college town, there's probably ample low-wage or temp type of work available... again, to at least get established and move to better things.

EDIT - that $185 figure was from 1998-2000... probably hasn't gone up too much since then.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:03:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Easy one'

Head for Florida, stop on the way and spend the $1000 on a decent chainsaw and some gas. If you make it there before the end of the week you'll cleanup (badda Bing!!).....Literally.

Phase II: Take the money you make from Hurricane cleanup and tour your way across country to Alaska in time for Crab season.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:14:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Does this assume no obligations either? I have no place lined up to sleep ... can I arrange one, such as crashing at a friend place?

Nope, no place to crash at.  So you'll need get a hotel room temporarily till you can find an apartment (Speaking of which, whats a good way to find apartments?).  Then comes the great job search so you can find a way to support yourself.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Doesn't matter where you wind up, either you are the type of person who lands on his feet, or you are not.  It is as simple as that.

that is the dumbest answer I have ever heard
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd go to the nearest internet cafe or library, hit monster.com, find a job, and go THERE.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Actually no, he's mostly right.

In any case, I'd look for a metropolitan area with a fairly diverse and sophisticated local economy and a low cost of living.

Cincinnati does fit that bill to a good degree.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Good grief! What the hell happened? Might as well go buy a gun and a bullet.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought you were going to Detroit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:27:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Phoenix is booming and good freedom laws
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its the most true though.

There are many things that I learned from my father, and that was perhaps the most important.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:28:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, no place to crash at.  So you'll need get a hotel room temporarily till you can find an apartment (Speaking of which, whats a good way to find apartments?).  Then comes the great job search so you can find a way to support yourself.

public library computers for job hunt, find a job, move where it's at, $1000 gets you a cheap ass 1 room (also found via public library computers) + food + change for a month ... find any job asap and you're off, then settle in for a real job hunt doing something that takes advantage of your experience and degrees if any.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Good grief! What the hell happened? Might as well go buy a gun and a bullet.

What can I say? The cops find one dead hooker in the back of your car and all of a sudden you get treated like a criminal just kidding, no dead hookers have been found  CT has just gotten way to annoying for me, high cost of living, annoying people and I want something new.

einnor, my plans for moving to Detroit are still in effect, I'm just wondering if theres a better area to go to.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Better than Detroit? Yeah, thousands of places. But I guess it depends on what kind of job you're looking for.

No dead hookers here.

I own a backhoe.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:40:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Pack up the truck and head out to Colorado...stay with friends until I can work up the cash for a cabin.

Done
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#20]
wherever the closest hookers and blow is  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Ask around for the closest dairy farm and go ask for work and a place to flop. All the dairies around here offer basic living arrangements for their hands. You'd have a base of operations and a minor source of income to build a life from.

And they ALWAYS hire. Maybe not the first farm you try or even second one but you can for sure get a farm job in one day.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

public library computers for job hunt, find a job, move where it's at, $1000 gets you a cheap ass 1 room (also found via public library computers) + food + change for a month ... find any job asap and you're off, then settle in for a real job hunt doing something that takes advantage of your experience and degrees if any.

yep, good answer.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#24]
here in buffalo there is a free apartment classified newspaper that get published and can be found at most grocery stores and many intersections that have regular newspaper vending machines. there's also a free job paper, usually next to the apartment one

Quoted:
(Speaking of which, whats a good way to find apartments?).  Then comes the great job search so you can find a way to support yourself.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:53:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Las Vegas!!!  It is one of (if not THE) fastest growing metropolitan areas in the country.  Anyone can get a job as a laborer for a construction company.  

(This was my real life fall back plan until I decided to start ROTC and finish college.)

Drew
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:55:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Buy a TracFone and 500 minutes. Call ma and pa, tell them, "You know, I have no idea what happened, but etc. etc. etc. Can I crash at your place for a while?" Get in shape if I ain't, then enlist.

This is, of course, assuming that the sitch is after I am 18.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:59:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Shit you're homeless and only have a grand too, well I guess my plan to crash at your place won't fly, I'll save you a refrigerator box under the bridge.

Thankfully my situations not that bad, my parents are currently allowing me to mooch off of them and I won't be moving for a few months so I can get some more cash (Unfortunantly I love my guns to much to sell them)
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Doesn't matter.

1. Go anywhere, and rent a cheap hotel room at a Motel 6, Red Roof Inn, anyplace with a shower, sink and bed.

2. Canvas every restraunt in town until you find a job as a waiter.

Boom! You are now in a position to expand. You can use your waitering job to pay for a more permanent apartment and search for a real job during your off hours.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:03:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Phoenix is booming and good freedom laws

Ditto, I  lived in Phoenix for 16 yrs. , lots of Temp Agencies to get work at until you can find a real job. Weather is nice if you hit it at the right time and there is lots of public transportation(read bus service) to get around until you can get a car. Rent is alittle high but with a job that shouldn't be a problem.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Butte, Montana.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Southern Oregon
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:31:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Strip club and party till the $1,000 was gone.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:34:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Perhaps I'd buy a flight to Denmark for my $1000 and mooch of the welfare state for a while.  Maybe I'd write a book while living in comfort on the dole for a few years.

... sorry, no foreigners!  

(My second choice would be to fly to Nashville and mooch of my fiancee for a few years).

The important part here is the mooching
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#35]
That's easy.  Lynchburg, VA.  Spent a good many years of my life walking around that town.  No transportation needed.  Cost of living is decent.  Folks are friendly.  And the best part ... being in the Blue Ridge.  That red dirt gets into your soul.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#36]
I would stay right where I am in California, no need to waste money on a bus ticket.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:08:41 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
That's easy.  Lynchburg, VA.  Spent a good many years of my life walking around that town.  No transportation needed.  Cost of living is decent.  Folks are friendly.  And the best part ... being in the Blue Ridge.  That red dirt gets into your soul.

So far Roanoke, VA is looking pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:42:21 AM EDT
[#38]
It is interesting some of the questions posted here. Would you like to hear from someone who actually did that? Well I lived in Maine after the Marine Corps and work was EXTREMELY hard to find! Waiting lists for McDonald's, gas stations,e.t.c.This was in Bangor, second biggest city in Maine. Anyway , I worked various odd jobs until I was layed off from my last  job. 2 months went by and still no work. A friend of mine that I met in the Corps was from Nashville . He suggested I come down there and try my luck. He sent me money for a bus ticket (didn't have the $58.00 for the ticket), I packed my see bag and arrived in Nashville 2 days later. I was then on my own. I had about $25.00 to my name. I bought a 10 speed bicycle from a yard sale for $10.00 and bought $15.00 worth of beans and rice. I was able to talk a landlord into letting me live in one of his houses($250.00 rent per month) in exchange for physical labor and up keep on his other properties. Cutting grass, painting , repairs , what ever needed to be done I did. When I wasn't doing some work for him, I was out looking for work. My first job was at a convienance store making $4.00 and hour. I THOUGHT I WAS RICH! 50 -60 hours a week at the store, 40 hours a week for my landlord and things were starting to come together. 15 years later, I'm now south of Nashville,married with 2 kids and things are ok. Take care. Coondog
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top