Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2004 4:09:48 PM EDT
This is for all the military personnel out there. I know that protective services, contracters, etc. can pick or use the provided weapons in Iraq. My question is in regards to military, can a person bring a private weapon (pistol, rifle, upper, etc) in theater or is that a big no-go. Heard it both ways from local guys.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#1]
How bout a...BIG NO-GO.  It is in CENTCOM gerneral order #1.  Don't bring your own guns.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:20:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Personal weapons in theater  

And here I thought this would be a thread about the Cav Arms guys getting kicked out of the movie.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Its kinda funny, my bro is a West Point Firsty and they're telling them that "wink wink, bring a sidearm."  This is something I've been saying for awhile, but no one seems to take it seriously here.  I've heard that getting things there is no problem, but coming back with them is somewhat impossible.  So whats the deal?  Any West Point grads out there?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This is for all the military personnel out there. I know that protective services, contracters, etc. can pick or use the provided weapons in Iraq. My question is in regards to military, can a person bring a private weapon (pistol, rifle, upper, etc) in theater or is that a big no-go. Heard it both ways from local guys.

Big NO GO.  
As a Military Police officer, I spent a couple of days in Kuwait searching through bags looking for personal weapons.  We took the ones we found and the owners were charged with violations of the UCMJ.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:26:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Big NO GO.  
As a Military Police officer, I spent a couple of days searching through bags looking for personal weapons.  We took the ones we found and the owners were charged with violations of the UCMJ.

What happened to the days when you didn't even have to be a soldier to fight for your country. Have your own gun? Good enough, lets go.

I've even heard from a soldier (a customer from work) that he had to throw away his tactical folding knife when going to Iraq because it wasnt allowed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:26:57 PM EDT
[#6]
what about only an upper, or a sir or surefire lights, own acog or EOtech or stuff like that?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#7]
All are good to go depending on your chain of command.  None of them are prohibited by the rules, you just may be told no by your chain of command.  

If they are telling cadets to bring weapons, they are stupid.  If that is true, no wonder we have to spend our time fixing fucked-up cherry Lt's.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#8]
A FOLDING KNIFE? Are you serious?

What's the logic behind these prohibitions?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:39:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been hearing the "wink, wink" version too and that's why I asked
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Private contractors DO NOT have personal weapons. the weapons they carry are issued by their employer, who have to get authorization from the State Dept to export on a Form 6. If you see guys with AK's who are American (or Europeans) their employer hasn't gotten the weapons imported yet.

As for GI's and knives, that's usually up to the local commander. Some don't care, some are asshats who should be managing the womens department at Sears. Definitely NOT warriors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top