Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2004 1:44:12 PM EDT
GUYS, THIS TOOK PLACE LESS THAN 1/2 MILE FROM MY HOME!

www.tmnews.com/articles/2004/08/31/sections/news/news88.txt

Tuesday, August 31, 2004

SPRINGVILLE - An Internet game called "Geocaching" caused quite a stir at the new Springville Community Park on Monday.

Several area departments, including a bomb disposal squad from the Naval Support Activity-Crane, responded to a suspicious object at the park.

"When I arrived, I went to where (an informant) advised me that the male subject placed the item by the tree stump," according to Lawrence County Police Department Sgt. Lonnie Johnson.

"I located it, and it was a round tube approximately 10 inches long and three inches around. It was covered with camouflage tape, and nothing could be identified as to what was inside."

Police then contacted the Perry Township Volunteer Fire Department, which blocked area roads. Another county police officer evacuated nearby houses.

"Crane EOD unit was contacted and arrived within 30 minutes," Johnson's report continued. "They used their robot to go and observe the item and then took an X-ray of the item to see if they could determine what was inside. The X-ray showed metal, what appeared to be wires, and some unidentified objects inside."

The EOD team exploded the item, and then it was determined that the item had small school supplies inside.

"The item was placed there for a game that is played on the Internet on a Web site," the report stated.

Geocaching is an adventure game for Global Positioning System users.

"The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the Internet," according to www.geocaching.com. "GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches.

A cache, the object GPS users search for, can contain a logbook and notes from other cache visitors.

Rules for the game are: Take something from the cache once you find it, leave something in return for it and write about it in the logbook.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:45:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Always a possibility in this crazy world.  I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

Paranoia is rampant.  

BTW, I hope they practiced CITA.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:52:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Haha... is there a penalty for blowing up the cache?

- BG
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:17:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What did EOD leave?

A crater!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:24:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:32:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What did EOD leave?

I must say, seeing chips and salsa come out of my nose was worth the laugh I got from this post.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#8]

An Internet game called "Geocaching"

Internet game?  I thought geocaching was one of those IRL things?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
A geocache is supposed to be labeled externally as a geocache.

What if terrorists start marking bombs as Geo-caches?  Think of the children.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top