Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2004 12:58:01 PM EDT
Does anyone make a good buttstock shell holder (meaning something other than the elastic kind you have to stretch all out of shape to get on the stock)?

I'm leaning toward the side-saddle, but figured I get a little input first.  Maybe yall know of something I haven't found yet.

Side saddle:

Buttstock holder (the kind I don't want):

CR
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#1]
get both. side saddle is more tactical.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Sidesaddle is supreme.

I much prefer the nylon sidesaddle by 3-Gun Gear.  The Elastic nylon is a bitch to insert the shells, but they hold well.  The Tacstar or similar hard plastic ones don't hold the shells well under recoil when they are inserted from the bottom for speedy reloads.  Even a that, I prefer the Tacstar SS over the nylon buttstock shell carrier.  

YMMV.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Brownells sells several sidesaddle shell holders. I just put one on my 1887 Tactical. A sidesaddle will allow faster reloading, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
get both. side saddle is more tactical.

I knew someone would say get both, just didn't think you'd beat me adding it as an option on the poll.
CR
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#5]
SS
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I had the side saddle mounted on the reciever of my Mossberg. It made it more difficult to disassemble and clean. The screw that replaced the pin in the reciever was a little too long.

I ended up taking it off and getting onf of those elastic carriers to go over the stock.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:03:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Sidesaddle.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#9]
This is the Choate stock I just ordered for my Remington 870. I'll post a review of it once I get it installed and send a few pellets down range!

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I have both on a 590..

I used to have a neoprene stretchy thing over the stock and it looked gay. So I got a StarTac (Or is it TacStar?..One is a cellphone....) sidesaddle that screws onto the buttstock itself...

The only problems with a buttstock sidesaddle is if you have to shoot left handed, the shells rest on your cheek and it's hard to shoot...Also adds weight to an already heavy firearm...

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Shotguns have no tactical use anymore.  You have to get an M4.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:08:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Neither.  All of that extra weight can throw off your aim.  Carry them in your pockets, especially if you are only going to carry an extra 3 or 4 shells.  If you have your shotgun fully loaded you should be able to get 5 shells in it.  You could buy a mag extension to give you another 3 or 4.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Neither.  All of that extra weight can throw off your aim.  Carry them in your pockets, especially if you are only going to carry an extra 3 or 4 shells.  If you have your shotgun fully loaded you should be able to get 5 shells in it.  You could buy a mag extension to give you another 3 or 4.

That's a good point.  I guess I would mainly want it so I can load up with buckshot, but still have a few slugs handy.

CR
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#14]

But I voted BOTH.

(and I've got a bandolier / sling as well. something like 30rds ON the gun, for SHTF)
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:16:18 PM EDT
[#15]
much rather have the side saddle, the buttstock one slides off when you actually shoot it and is a PITA
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Side saddle. Defenetly. I thought about what HARDCASE had said and that would make sense. But for me I've had it on there for so long that it has become part of the gun. My two cents. Take care.Coondog
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:18:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Crap, I thought you meant one of these....

NM

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#18]
A hint for the cheap nylon buttstock holders: slip them over the gun from the muzzle end, much easier to get on than trying to put them on from the butt end... (if you havnt tried this yet )

I have, IIRC, a Tacstar sidesaddle on my 1300 and it is much better than a buttstock holder. As far as the shells popping out under recoil, just take a little extra time and make sure a little bit of the brass is tucked under the plastic of the shell holders-- they should now stay in place under recoil.

I havnt tried the speedfeed stocks yet, mostly because the stock on my 1300 gets it pointing "dead on" when I throw it to my shoulder.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:21:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a good point.  I guess I would mainly want it so I can load up with buckshot, but still have a few slugs handy.

CR

I dont find the weight of a side-saddle loaded with slugs (6 of 'em) to throw off my aim at all--I break more clays with my Defender than I do with my 28" barreled duck gun. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:27:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
much rather have the side saddle, the buttstock one slides off when you actually shoot it and is a PITA

A couple of flat thumbtacks pounded into the wood/plastic thru the buttstock shellholder will keep it in place.  Not pretty but it works.  Some brands of buttstock shellholders are made with a strap that goes around the buttplate/recoil pad that keeps it from creeping forward also.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks like "Get Both!" is gaining.  Heck, it wouldn't break me to get both (and then get rid of the one I like least) - neither are that expensive.

CR
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a side saddle on my 590A1 AND a Speedfeed stock as well.

The side saddle is a breeze to get shells out of.  The Speedfeed is a bit more difficult but if for some reason I NEED those last 4 rounds, I'll be happy they are there.

8+1+6+4 = 19.  Yup, that should handle everything short of a major (creature that shall not be mentioned) attack.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Do the side saddles interfere with the foregrip movement on pumps?

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Side Saddle.  Without a doubt IMHO

Absolutely!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

You might have to cut down the forend.

I just can't get used to the distraction of having shells in view when I shoulder the shotgun.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:42:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

From what I read:  Some may require a little trimming and the Benelli Nova uses the side saddle with only 4 shells since the forearm is so long (that's what I'd be putting it on).

CR
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:42:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#30]
How would you do a tactically correct reload, or even topping off the mag tube, from a buttcuff shell carrier?

For those unfamiliar with the shotgun:

The correct way to top off the mag is to keep the SGN shouldered, with the strong hand on the grip, and the sights aimed at the threat.  Using the weak hand, remove shells fromthe side saddle and insert into the mag tube. the weapon stays aimed at the threat and ready to fire the whole time.

If you have shot the SGN dry, leave the slide to the rear, again the weapon is kept shoulder with the strong handand aimed down range. remove one shell from the side saddle, cup it in the hand and reach under the recoivers and roll the shell into the open ejection port. Slide the slide forward, and top off thew mag tube as described above.

Can you even do those two basics of shotgun handling with a buttstock mounted shell carrier?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a Maxpedition fatboy bag filled with shells next to my shotgun.  You can stuff a whole bunch of shells in there.  Both the side saddle and the elastic stock shell holders just get in the way.  The maxpedition bag also holds eight  AR15 mags too, in case you didn't know. (it'll fit nine mags if you stuff them in really tight)
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:47:52 PM EDT
[#32]
I have both on my 590.  I keep the gun unloaded with 11 rounds on the gun between the sidesaddle and the nylon cheapie thing.   I also keep 4 rounds on the shelf nest to gun.  The idea is to load the 4 from the shelf and then the 5 from the butstock holder.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

They can, if you have short arms and big hands. The inside edge of the palm of your weak hand can get pinched between the side saddle and the back of the forend.  Happend to me during shotgun qual yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:55:54 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Can you even do those two basics of shotgun handling with a buttstock mounted shell carrier?

It would definitely be a lot more difficult and take longer.

CR
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:12:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Iv'e got oen of them sidesaddle jobbies. It's not bad, but i definitly prefer my speedfeed stock ;)
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#36]
I've got both on my Marine Magnum.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:20:21 PM EDT
[#37]
 Milt Sparks makes a quality buttstock shell carrier that laces on and stays put during recoil. The elastic ones move up during recoil unless you screw the rear sling stud through them. The shells also will fall out if you start running or get too active.
 I like the side saddle, but if you want a good butt stock holder call Milt Sparks. If you have both, you have a lot of ammo but a heavy gun.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#38]
For 3-gun matches I have both.  The side saddle is a faster reload though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

On a Benelli M3 yes.

I trimmed the side saddle down, now it holds 5 rounds instead of 6.

I have a buttstock carrier too from Tactical Taylor.

5 in the side saddle
7 on the buttstock
7 in the magazine
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#40]
I have both. I keep buckshot in the Sidesaddle and slugs in the buttcuff.
No off side shooting with the buttcuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top