Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2004 11:32:07 AM EDT
in a solemn ceremony done discreetly so that this act of destruction was not perceived as a protest or desecration.

I received the flag from a elderly woman that had it stored in a box inside her garage.  It was well faded and torn having had many years service before she replaced it.  

I suggested to her that she should dispose of it properly and she said she wanted to but did not feel right about throwing it in the trash.  I told her that she was correct about not disposing of the flag in the trash and if she wanted me to I could properly dispose of it for her.

There are several ways that people can do this.  The following is how I perfer to do it:

(1) I build a fire in a small pit I have on my property.

(2) I remove the blue field from the stripes using scissors.  By this being done the former flag is now just red, white and blue material and not the symbol of our Country.

(3) I tear the stripes off individually and lay them on the fire one at a time.  Once they are totally consumed I lay the blue field into the flames and use that time to reflect on what the our flag means to me.

Once the material is completely consumed I remove the ashes and bury them.  Then douse the fire and I am done.

What do you do with your unserviceable flags ?

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
in a solemn ceremony done discreetly so that this act of destruction was not perceived as a protest or desecration.

I received the flag from a elderly woman that had it stored in a box inside her garage.  It was well faded and torn having had many years service before she replaced it.  

I suggested to her that she should dispose of it properly and she said she wanted to but did not feel right about throwing it in the trash.  I told her that she was correct about not disposing of the flag in the trash and if she wanted me to I could properly dispose of it for her.

There are several ways that people can do this.  The following is how I perfer to do it:

(2) I remove the blue field from the stripes using scissors.  By this being done the former flag is now just red, white and blue material and not the symbol of our Country.

(3) I tear the stripes off individually and lay them on the fire one at a time.  Once they are totally consumed I lay the blue field into the flames and use that time to reflect on what the our flag means to me.

Once the material is completely consumed I remove the ashes and bury them.  Then douse the fire and I am done.

touching.

i've only had to do this once, put it in a campfire.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:35:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

You done good.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you Sir for your kindess and tenderness you have shown our greatest national treasure, our symbol of freedom. !!SALUTE!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:44:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll be the first to say, tannerite!

Good job.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I know that the proper way to dispose of the flag is to burn it.  However, what do you do with the nylon type?  I have a couple in my garage that are pretty beat up, but I am not sure about burning them...

Don't want to create any toxic fumes or whatever...

Any ideas?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'll be the first to say, tannerite!

Good job.

You always say tannerite.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I remember vividly a flag burning ceremony way back during a Cub Scout Jamboree I attended when I was probably no more than 11.

Cub and Boy Scout troops from throughout San Diego County had been collecting unusable flags for several weeks in anticipation.  After nightfall a low fire was built in a fire pit.  All Scouts were gathered around the fire.  While a bugaler played Taps the flags where draped over the fire and folded in (so no part of the burning flag touched ground outside the pit).  There were probably about 100 flags and several hundred Scouts.  A LOT of the adults there were veterans of WW2 and Vietnam.  Saw a lot of tears on some of their faces.

This is one of my fondest Scouting memories.

----
At work we fly a flag.  Recently replaced a tattered one with a new one.  I've got the folded tattered one at my desk here.  Unfortunately all I have is a barbeque at my apartment and I can't think of any respectful way to "cook" a flag.  So, it'll have to remain in my desk drawer till I go camping again.

----
As to persons with nylon flags, I don't think you'll have a problem so long as you put it to rest outdoors.  Personally I can't see putting a flag to rest in a home fireplace anyway.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I beleive burning and burying the flag, in tact, are both acceptable.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I always wondered how the unservicable flags were disposed of...

Even though, it still wouldn't feel right setting fire to even just individual parts of a flag.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
There were probably about 100 flags and several hundred Scouts.  A LOT of the adults there were veterans of WW2 and Vietnam.  Saw a lot of tears on some of their faces.

Curses on you, man.

<sniff, sniff>

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Even though, it still wouldn't feel right setting fire to even just individual parts of a flag.

www.usflag.org/flag.etiquette.html
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#12]
My Legion post has an old mail box set out to collect faded flags, every few months or so they burn them in a small ceremony.

I go there for super cheap drinks and to be the youngest guy around. Hopefully everybody lives through Iraq and we get tons of new members. They are stocking all kinds of, in their words, "Weird Beers and Wines" super cheap in hopes that people under the age of 55 join and remain members.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I think you can drop of unservicable flags at you local VFW for proper disposal if you can't do it yourself.  That reminds me that I have two or three myself I really need to take care of....
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:05:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:09:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey, the elderly woman who gave you the flag....how did you dispose of her?

Jeebus...i'm so sleep deprived and loopy that I'm LMAO and in tears. Sorry....

I'm a sad little clown...
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

And here I thought I was gonna have to bitch slap someone, and now I find you were "properly disposing of" not "burning" the flag.  You burned material which once WAS a flag, there's a big diff.. kudos...
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

That is the proper way to dispose of them however.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#19]
i thought it was

bury the stars

burn the stripes
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

It's not supposed to feel right, but you still have to do it.  

The flag is considered a living thing, you kill a lame horse... you do it yourself if it's your horse.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I retired over 75 flags when I was a Boy Scout. It was always a special, somber moment.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.usflag.org/flag.etiquette.html

Well, I know he practiced proper flag disposing, but I simply couldn't burn or do anything with even just pieces of an American flag.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Well, I know he practiced proper flag disposing, but I simply couldn't burn or do anything with even just pieces of an American flag.

How you YOU properly dispose of a unserviceable flag ?  Stuff it in the kitchen trashcan between the Ho-ho wrappers and the mashed potato leftovers just to be sent to the dump?

Burning a unservicable flag in a ceremony is the only way approved by Congress...

Read these 8 different ceremonies completely and I think you will begin to hear a common theme...  respect for the flag and a sense of duty.

http://scoutingbear.com/USA/flagret.htm

If you truely hold our flag so dear then you would see the need to retire them properly.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I always wondered how the unservicable flags were disposed of....

It is caled Retired.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:54:59 AM EDT
[#26]
This is staight from the US Code via Cornell Law's website.  The Flag - U.S. Code

TITLE 4 > CHAPTER 1 > Sec. 8.

(k)

The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning

This is another one of my pet peeves.  Why can't people follow this little bit of etiquette as well?

i)

The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How you YOU properly dispose of a unserviceable flag ?  Stuff it in the kitchen trashcan between the Ho-ho wrappers and the mashed potato leftovers just to be sent to the dump?

Honestly, USMC_LB, I'd have to have someone else do it.

I know that doing this is the proper right thing... but, it's something I'm not comfortable doing.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:13:48 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Honestly, USMC_LB, I'd have to have someone else do it.

I know that doing this is the proper right thing... but, it's something I'm not comfortable doing.

I am not comfortable trusting someone else to show the same amount of respect towards the flag than I would.  Then again, I'm not a trusting person.  It should be an honor to dispose of a flag properly.  It's what done when flags are no longer fit for service.  They are material, they wear out.  It's like shooting Old Yeller, but it's not like drowning kittens for no reason.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:55:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Wow, this is perfect timing.  I was just about to post a "how do I properly retire a flag" question when I found this thread.  Our boat came with a flag that is in poor condition, and though I have since replaced it, I've just been holding on to the old one, not wanting to be disrespectful by throwing it away.

I'll either burn it myself, or see if one of the veterans' associations will accept it.

--Mike

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:12:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Recycle the darn things, burning is a throw back to the old days when there was not any recycling; not to mention exotic materials such as nylon.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#31]
can't bare to rid of my 49 star Hawiian Flag a couple of stains afix here and there been in my possesion well over twenty years....and I plan to keep it many more.....Beaver Brand Flags thanks for a Quality stitch job.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Agreed good job.

My Sons scout troop disposes of them in the same way, they are preped before hand and each flag is placed in the fire followed by a salute.
 FREE

Quoted:

Quoted:

You done good.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top