Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2004 9:34:57 AM EDT
www.logcabin.org/logcabin/index.html

As our nation's eyes are on New York City for the Republican National Convention, Log Cabin's mission, our courageous delegates and our GOP allies are under intense attack from the radical right. The Republican Party Platform is an outrageous insult to all of us and our families. The platform not only calls for an anti-family Constitutional amendment, but it also opposes civil unions and domestic partnerships.  While thousands of courageous gay and lesbian Americans are fighting to win the war on terror, the platform also says, "Homosexuality is incompatible with military service."  

Log Cabin has decided to respond immediately to this outrageous platform.  We are launching an aggressive counter attack against the radical right which has hijacked the GOP.  

Please take 30 seconds to watch Log Cabin's newly produced television commercial which we launched this morning. And, if you agree with our message please help us immediately.  We must broadcast this commercial in New York City this week so delegates can hear our message.  We won't have this chance again for 4 years. Only you can help us do that.  This morning, I personally contributed $1,000 to this effort.  Please join me right now to help us take on the radical right.

Couldn't they have picked a better name then LOG CABIN???

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:38:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Its a Lincoln reference I think.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:42:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep because Linclon had some "male" proclivities.

Sic Semper Tyranis.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#3]
sgtar15,

You are right... why don't you see if you can "change" them....  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought it was reference to a man's anus.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:47:48 AM EDT
[#5]
did i hear my name?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#6]
They should have named themselves "FudgePackers.org" but it was probably already taken!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:09:29 AM EDT
[#7]
What a stupid ass name they chose...

I remember Dan from the old TV show Night Court saying "Wanna play with my, lincoln log?" to the court officer Roz.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:20:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Always hit me that way too! Just doesn't seem right does it
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I just came from the bathroom and I flushed/sent them a building block/log.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought it was a refernce to the syrup.

Cuz gays are always syruppy sweet on each other.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

That's my point!

Log Cabin...anus...pushing for gay rights.

Just doesn't sound right.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#13]
BIGOTED INTOLERANT RACIST MEAN-SPIRITED RIGHT WING CHRISTIAN WACKO HOMOPHOBE!

Okay, now that we've disposed of that nonsense, carry on.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

That's my point!

SGtar15

Is that what it really means?

YUCK!

I was watching their President whinning on PBS last night about how the Republican party platform needs to include the sexual deviants or they will risk losing them.

I don't see the risk.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

That's my point!

SGtar15

That's just plain wrong.

I'm going to go wash my brain with soap now.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:05:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Couldn't they have picked a better name then LOG CABIN???
SGatr15

The name of the organization is a reference to the first Republican President of the United States, Abraham Lincoln, who was born in a log cabin. The organization features a portrait of Lincoln on its website and other publicity material. The name has been criticized by other gay and lesbian rights groups because it does not specifically identify the organization as being for gay men and lesbians.

Log Cabin was founded in 1978 in California, as a rallying point for Republicans opposed to the Briggs Initiative, the first attempt to restrict gay and lesbian rights through a ballot measure. The Initiative, which was defeated, would have prevented gay men and lesbians from being public school teachers in California. Among those Republicans who opposed the Initiative was Ronald Reagan, later President.

The great majority of gay and lesbian rights activists are Democrats, or have political views to the left of the Democrats. They are frequently strongly critical of the Log Cabin Republicans, calling them "Aunt Marys" (a gay equivalent of "Uncle Toms"). A contributor to the gay newspaper the Washington Blade wrote in March 2004: "Patrick Guerriero of Log Cabin is a sell out and a traitor to the gay community. It’s pretty sad for Log Cabin when the Republicans don’t want them and they are not respected in the majority of the gay and lesbian community."

So no, other queers have a "problem" with the name too ;)

Also which MAY be of interest:

Was Lincoln gay?

Firebrand Larry Kramer says he has the evidence to prove it. Lincoln scholars are holding their fire until they see it. Get ready for the second Civil War.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Carol Lloyd

May 3, 1999 | The 28-year-old traveler was tall, with rough hands, a chiseled jaw and unforgettable, deep-set, melancholy eyes. He arrived in town, his worldly possessions in two battered suitcases, and inquired at a general store about buying some bedding. But the price was far beyond his budget. The strikingly handsome 23-year-old merchant took pity on the man and invited him into his own bed, free of charge, which happened to be just upstairs. The traveler inspected the bed and, looking into the merchant's sparkling blue eyes, agreed on the spot. For the next four years the two men shared that bed along with their most private fears and desires.

If this sounds like the opening of a homoerotic dime-store novel whose subsequent scenes feature fiery loins and ecstatic eruptions, hold your panting. The year is 1837, the place Springfield, Ill., and the leading men none other than our 16th president, Abraham Lincoln, and his lifelong friend Joshua Speed.

It is a story that historians have told and retold, puzzled over and reinterpreted, dismissed and decorated. Some describe Lincoln's acceptance of Joshua Speed's generous offer as terse and matter-of-fact; others as beaming and emotional. What none of them questions is that Lincoln and Speed's years of living together cemented a friendship unparalleled in its intimacy and tenderness in Lincoln's life. So far, all major historians have stopped short of intimating that Lincoln was ever involved in a romantic affair with a man -- in fact, they explicitly discourage such interpretations.

But Larry Kramer, the 62-year-old gay rights hell-raiser, Academy Award-nominated screenwriter ("Women in Love") and Pulitzer-nominated playwright ("The Normal Heart"), wants to change all that. In February, at a gay and lesbian conference in Madison, Wis., he read a portion of his unfinished book, "The American People" -- which, in the course of describing the history of gays in early America, avers that Lincoln and Speed were not merely bedfellows but lovers.

"There's no question in my mind he was a gay man and a totally gay man," Kramer declares. "It wasn't just a period, but something that went on his whole life."

Like the rumors that Thomas Jefferson had sired the children of his young slave Sally Hemings, questions about Speed and Lincoln's relationship have circulated for years. In "Abraham Lincoln: The Prairie Years" (1926), Carl Sandburg wrote that their relationship had "a streak of lavender and spots soft as May violets," which some have taken as a veiled reference to homosexuality. In 1995, just after Bob Dole rejected campaign contributions from the Log Cabin Republicans, a gay GOP group, Log Cabin member W. Scott Thompson was quoted in the New York Times as saying that gays should feel welcome in the party, "given that the founder was gay." Novelist Paul Russell, author of "The Gay 100," a ranking of the world's most important gay figures, also investigated the rumors but chose not to include Lincoln, feeling that the case was not strong enough, though he did include questionable figures like Shakespeare and Madonna. In an interview that will appear in a forthcoming anthology called "Sexual Writings by Gore Vidal," Gore Vidal told Kramer some years ago that during the research for the historical novel "Lincoln," Vidal too began to suspect that Lincoln was gay.

Like most of Lincoln's early private life, the story of his friendship with Speed is a murky one -- although not nearly as murky as Lincoln's early liaisons with women. After four years of living in intimate quarters, Speed announced plans to sell the store and return to his home in Kentucky, where his family owned a large plantation. Lincoln, who was notoriously awkward and shy around women, was at the time engaged to a vivacious, if temperamental, society girl named Mary Todd, but as the date of Speed's departure and the marriage approached, Lincoln cracked. He wanted to break the engagement by letter, but at Speed's entreaty, he went to Mary Todd and told her face to face he did not love her. Some argue that Lincoln had fallen in love with another woman. Soon after, Speed departed, leaving Lincoln mired in depression and guilt.

Seven months later Lincoln traveled to Speed's home in Kentucky, where he spent a month being nursed back to health. After that the two men corresponded affectionately for decades, chronicling their most personal internal conflicts -- including their abject fear of marriage, which they ominously refer to in their correspondence (always emphasized) as forebodings. Speed was the first to approach the altar successfully, an ordeal that Lincoln coached him through with tender but not altogether convincing letters of encouragement. It seemed that Speed was on the verge of a premarital meltdown similar to Lincoln's. "If you went through the ceremony calmly, or even with sufficient composure not to excite alarm in anyone present, you are safe, beyond question," Lincoln wrote just after the date of Speed's betrothal, "and in two or three months, to say the most, will be the happiest of men." Subsequent clandestine letters inquired whether Speed really was "happier or, if you think the term preferable, less miserable." Both men eventually married and had children; they remained close until they had a falling-out in 1855 over the issue of slavery.

A shared bed, tortured secret letters and a fear of women -- what more proof could scholars want?

And yet, if _I_ ever become "notable" (unlikely, but possible) in years after my death, I am CERTAIN both I AND my partner's "queerness" will too come into question. After all, she had 2 daughters by a man... THAT neans SHE could NOT have been my partner... corect? And the name I occasionally utilized "Lazpash" SURE, it WAS connected to the island of Lesbos, from whence the term "lesbian" sprang... but couldn't she have just thought it was a "neat" nick-name, unaware of it's origins...? After all she WAS "literary" and certainly could have stumbled upon it elsewhere... And SURE she started a Pink Pistols Group (several, actually, in Ohio ;) BUT those WERE on occasion started by STRAIGHT people who were merely "sympathetic" to the "queer lifestyle" so THAT's not "proof" she was certainly a 2nd amendment advocate.  But then... maybe not, after all she DID say on numerous documented occasions that she was a LIBERAL, after all....

Anyway... you all get the idea. And back then, the closets were FILLED TO THE HILT!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:11:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow, log cabin huh? Talk about taking it in the "back door" . What do they use to spackle thier cracks? OH! Nevermind. Take care. Coondog
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:33:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Wow, log cabin huh? Talk about taking it in the "back door" . What do they use to spackle thier cracks? OH! Nevermind. Take care. Coondog

THAT'S DISGUSTING!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

That's my point!

SGtar15

Is that what it really means?

YUCK!

I was watching their President whinning on PBS last night about how the Republican party platform needs to include the sexual deviants or they will risk losing them.

I don't see the risk.

+1.

I'd rather lose than compromise on this. I do NOT agree with homosexuality, and do NOT support it in ANY way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top