Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2004 1:32:25 AM EDT
who recieves one in the...
head?
chest?
arm?

I know the IDF uses the 10/22 sometimes to target leaders of protests, but what will , say, the 10/17 do to someone.???
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:44:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably hurt them.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:47:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I can only speculate, but after having seen the effects of the .17 HMR on a prairie dog and a rattlesnake, I'd sure hate to get hit with one.  An AR-15 dealer at the last show said that a .17HMR upper was in the works.  That'd be pretty cool.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:35:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Are there and semi rifles available that use the .17HMR.  All that I have seen are bolt action.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:37:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Ummm, kill them?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:50:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Put a hole in them?

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:56:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I shot my .17 Ruger into a freshly killed deer's head last year to answer for myself if headshots at close range would be effective and humane.  Well, let me tell you!  At 25 yards, the bullet entered the adult doe's skull directly between, and 1.5 inches above the eyes.  A very clean and tiny entrance wound, but the bullet expanded and turned the brain into guacamole.  The base of the bullet was recovered and weighed 11 grains.  A second shot passed cleanly through the neck at ten yards.  A several shots into the ribcage heart/lung area(after field dressing!) revealed penetration through ribs, especially the smaller ribs farther back.  A shot into the shoulder revealed a smashed and fragmented bullet and a fractured shoulder bone but no penetration.  Why clean penetration into the skull, but not the shoulder, I do not know.  Also, these results might vary with replicates.  Take this info for what it's worth.

Disclaimer:  I do not shoot dead animals unless I have a reason.  Furthermore, I eat all the animals I hunt and shoot (except varmints) including that deer's shoulder (stew).
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:58:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:00:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
who recieves one in the...
head?
chest?
arm?

I know the IDF uses the 10/22 sometimes to target leaders of protests, but what will , say, the 10/17 do to someone.???

Head?:  While it is possible to survive head wounds from most calibers, it's rare.  The brain and it's surrounding structures bleed profusely and a head wound from .17 HMR means certain death.

Chest?:  We need to ballistic gelatin testing to see what kind of penetration it has.  If it doesn't consistantly penetrate 12 inches, it would make a poor choice against people.

Arm?: Non-fatal wound unless there is secondary infection.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:00:59 AM EDT
[#9]
there is only one semi auto rifle that I know of, the ruger 10/17.

there are two semi auto pistols that I know of, a taurus revolver and a  ruger mark III.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:03:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:30:00 AM EDT
[#11]
what about...
car tire?
car windshield?
1" thick wood walls or doors?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:09:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Are there and semi rifles available that use the .17HMR.  All that I have seen are bolt action.

Remington 597 and there is a barrel available for the Ruger 10/22 mag to convert it to .17HMR.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:15:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
there is only one semi auto rifle that I know of, the ruger 10/17.

there are two semi auto pistols that I know of, a taurus revolver and a  ruger mark III.

As far as I know, the 10/17 has not been released for sale and it's beginning to look like Ruger will abandon that idea to focus on the new 17HM2 cartridge.  They already have a Ruger Mk II in the works that fires the 17HM2 cartridge.

The only weak point of the .17 HMR is the lack of penetration.

My buddy bought a 10/22 magnum and purchased a barrel from Clark's Custom Guns that was chambered in .17HMR.  The factory .22 magnum magazines work perfectly.  The rifle is a ton of fun and EXTREMELY accurate.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:18:54 AM EDT
[#14]
There are "custom" semi-autos being made as well.  Volquartsen is probably the best out there.

As far as damage.  If the intent is to kill a human slowly with a bloody mess, the 17HMR is probably a good choice.  I wouldn't use it on anything bigger than a fox, so that tells you something.

EAM  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top