(Insert today's date)
(Your name)
(Street address)
(City, State and Zip Code)

(Congressman or Senator's name)
(Street address)
(City, State and Zip Code)

Dear Congressman or Senator (name);

The purpose of this letter is to bring to your attention my concern with an unsafe situation that exists in the manufacture of riding lawnmowers. My concern is the absence of a safety device that would prevent the blade from turning when the lawnmower is put in reverse, sometimes known as a non-mowing-in-reverse device. It is my understanding that one of these accidents happens on the average of every day in the United States. That's 300 plus every year. The age of the victim is usually very young - age six and below and the operator of the lawnmower is almost always a parent, grandparent, sibling, or neighbor. The seriousness of the injury is usually very high including amputations and even death. Some of manufacturers began installing these safety devices as early as ten years ago and others as recently as last year.

Considering the suffering of these children and their parents I cannot understand why the manufacturers haven't begun installing the devices. Surely they are being sued anytime one of these accidents result in serious injury. If not, they should be and probably will be in the future. Since some manufacturers already install the devices on new equipment the technology is available. A simple switch, mechanical or electronic, shouldn't cost them much per piece of equipment as long as it's designed and produced properly.

I want you to know that it is incomprehensible that the riding lawnmower manufacturers don't provide the safest riding lawnmowers possible for use by their customers, the public. Is there anything you can do to help with this tragic situation that leaves over 300 of our youth with serious injuries and some dead. And can you imagine the psychological trauma suffered by the families especially the operator of the lawnmower. Can you even comprehend how you could live with yourself if you had backed over one of your children or grandchildren and caused the death or amputation of their little limbs.

Please do something. If you do and save one child your tenure in Washington will be well worth it. I know I'll vote for you again.

Sincerely;

A FUCKING MORON.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:48:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks dangerous.

Ban them, for the children.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:54:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Just another safety device to disable.

My mower had it, disabled it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top