Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#4]
well at least you're not married

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My girlfriend insists that any time she hands me a knife while we are preparing diner together that I say "Thank You" before she lets go of the knife. Also insists that any time I hand a folding knife to someone that I should open it before handing it to them and not let go until they say thank you and that should hand it back in the open position...with me saying thank you before they release it.

I have never in my life ever heard of this, She says that the Boy Scouts do this also.

Personally, I do not believe in any type of superstition and refuse to have them forced on me. So for the time being, we've agreed that we will lay the knife down and not pass it to each other.

I'm just curious, has anyone ever heard of this before and if so, what's the purpose behind it?

No, I have not heard of this prior to your text above.
I have heard it is bad luck to 'give' a knife, a monetary amount must always be exchanged, even a matter or pennies. I have always lived by the latter.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:33:14 PM EDT
[#6]
In the scouts manual, the recipient is supposed to say "thank you" when you have a firm grip on the knife/axe/saw/sharp pointy stick so that the person giving it to you knows it's safe to let go. I call bull on the folding shit, though.

I wonder how they do it in professional kitchens..
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:35:39 PM EDT
[#7]
She's got it pretty close to how I learned it in the Boy Scouts 30rys ago.

When handing a knife to someone you grasp the blade along the spine with the edge facing away from your hand/fingers and offer them the handle. When they say "Thank you" they are acknowledging they have a firm hold on the knife and you then let go.

But I don't see any reason to open a closed knife. Just hand it over closed. Safer that way.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:36:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I dont understand how unfolding a folding knife then passing it on is safer.but we did the thank you thing in cub/boy scouts its so you dont drop the knife thinking they had a hold on it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah I was always taught "thank you" as a concise was of saying "I've got it, LET GO".

Shit like this makes me appreciate my wife more and more.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:37:06 PM EDT
[#11]
It is bad luck/etiquette to hand back a folding knife the opposite way it was handed to you.

Example: Sgtar15 hands you a pocket knife that is open, when you hand it back to him it should be open

Example2: Sgtar15 hands you a pocket knife that is closed, when you hand it back to him it should be closed
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:37:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Huh..... Maybe try throwing it at her and see what she says?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:37:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't know about that, but we're just taught when we carry a knife around the kithen to point it at the ground with the blade parallel to your leg; also when you pass behind someone with it to say "Behind with a knife" so they don't turn around suddenly.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:38:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Most of my knives are double edged. I usually set them down and then let someone else pick them up.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#15]
A buddy of mine does the whole open/closed folder thingy when giving back a folding knife.

I forgot if he says it should be given open and given back open. I just know he's corrected me a lot and I never listen.

He's in PsyOps now, so he might have been just fucking with me.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#16]
That's a superstition I've never heard before.  I can't even imagine OPENING a folding knife before giving it to someone.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Hand it to the boy scout and say "Please dont kill my dog."
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:44:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Stuff her in the... er.... uhhh...

Yes on the "Thank You", no on the "Unfold".

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Your GF isn't related to one of the Bobbits is she?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have never in my life ever heard of this, She says that the Boy Scouts do this also.

That's how I was taught to handle knives in scouts.

I still do it to this day and I make my GF do that same.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:47:18 PM EDT
[#24]
The bad thing about the folding superstition is that if you hand it over open and it is returned closed, you are destined to lose the knife soon.

.....soon hasn't happened in the 20 years since I heard that one.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes, this is halfway how we did it in the scouts.  We had to memorize the knife rules for a "tote'em chit" that was like a driver's license for a knife in the scouts.  Every time we violated a rule, a corner of the card got torn off.  On the fourth violation, we couldn't carry a knife anymore until we went thru the course and test again.

We always had to say "thank you", or otherwise verbally acknowledge positive control of the knife when we were passing it.  We also always passed it blade toward ourselves, putting the handle positively in the hand of the recipient.

If a knife could fold, we always had to **CLOSE** it before passing it over.  (The opposite of a gun, which is properly passed over with the action open)

I think it's generally a pretty good set of etiquette rules, but not worth fussing at somebody over.  Positive control of a sharp object and a closed folder are the key points.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:59:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I too was taught the "thank you" rule for passing objects that could cause harm if mis-handled. This was purely a safety measure. Still use it to this day at home and on the job. I always confirm that the receiving party has control prior to letting go.

The part about the folding knife, never heard of opening before passing the knife. FWIW, I do remember an old superstition that one should never close a knife that they didn't open.

"... a sharp knife is the sign of a dull mind." author unknown
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#27]
You got to open your butterfly knife flip it around 20 times to look cool, then hand it to them.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#30]
when was the last time she had a CAT scan?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

When handing a knife to someone you grasp the blade along the spine with the edge facing away from your hand/fingers and offer them the handle. When they say "Thank you" they are acknowledging they have a firm hold on the knife and you then let go.

But I don't see any reason to open a closed knife. Just hand it over closed. Safer that way.

+1 only not 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:23:37 PM EDT
[#32]
After hearing all the former Boy Scouts replies in this thread it think its' pretty clear. Your girlfriend was born a man, but at leat he/she was in scouting.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:42:19 PM EDT
[#33]
"Knife etiquette" to me means letting people know when you're transporting a knife around the kitchen. You let them know there is a SHARP object BEHIND (left, right, whatever) of them and if you put a knife on a lower shelf, etc.

This "thank you" crap is total BS. Where did she learn it? Martha Stewart?!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

what this dude said.........
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

You have a GF?

She seems rather disappointed for some reason, Sweep.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:53:06 PM EDT
[#36]
That is the exact way I learned it in Boy Scouts... not so much the whole "must be open" thing tho.

- BUCC_Guy

(I am still in the habit of saying "Thank you" when someone hands me a knife... which is rare since I carry 2 or 3)
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:56:52 PM EDT
[#37]
I remember one time, when I was in the Boy scouts, I was at a boy scout  camp on catalina island, and I had bought a knife from the trading post and one of the assholes in my troop stole it.  I got it back because his friend ratted him out.  So yeah.

I was taught the thank you thing. But not the opening a folding knife thing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:11:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:18:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:24:08 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Yup, I remember learning the thank-you thing in scouts.  Never heard of the folder being left open when passed.

+1
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:51:38 PM EDT
[#41]
I believe the "Thank You" was put in there to relay that when the knife was passed it did not enter your body...and that is what you are thankful for.???

MT
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:45:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:48:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:49:24 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
It is bad luck/etiquette to hand back a folding knife the opposite way it was handed to you.

Example: Sgtar15 hands you a pocket knife that is open, when you hand it back to him it should be open

Example2: Sgtar15 hands you a pocket knife that is closed, when you hand it back to him it should be closed

+1
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:53:39 AM EDT
[#45]
I learned from a fellow soldier to always hand back a folding knife in the condition you recieved it, i.e. folded or open.  I have been practicing that for several years now.

Although if I break the tradition, I don't exactly stay awake all night sweating it.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:55:34 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Yep you use to have to get qualified to carry and knife and an axe, and that was what I learn many years ago also.    
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:07:24 AM EDT
[#47]
For Scouts, we closed the folding knife before handing it over.
Everything else was handed over handle first, and waiting for a "thank you" before release.

It basically works so the lowest common denominator cant cut their (or anyone else's) toes or fingers off.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:09:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Just a personal thought on the folder. Ever try to close one you weren't familiar with? There are so many different types of locks on folders now........just hand it back open so you don't look like a dufus trying to close it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:14:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Dear Miss Manners:

I once borrowed a knife from a guy, but didn't say "Thank You" during the handover. I think I said something like, "Gimme that f'ing knife, A-hole." Should I send a card, or perhaps a bouquet of flowers?

In an Etiquette Quandry,
DzlBenz
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:23:34 AM EDT
[#50]
So basically you have a problem with people being polite???  Saying "thank you" is a problem??

But, yes I have heard that if someone hands you an open folder, you hand it back still open.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top