Anyone?

I feel like such a looser.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#1]
What's your budget?

Go here Look at this
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a hold of a DV camera with a firewire port and a firewire card in your computer.  Run the video out to the DV camera and then run the firewire to the computer.  Set up your capture software, play the video, and make sure you have enough disk space to get the capture.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Wait, do you mean a device that disables Macrovision copy protection?  That's another beast entirely.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Get a hold of a DV camera with a firewire port and a firewire card in your computer.  Run the video out to the DV camera and then run the firewire to the computer.  Set up your capture software, play the video, and make sure you have enough disk space to get the capture.

Depends on camera.  Most Pro-Sumer stuff still passes Macro-Vision.  Worth a try though.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:22:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes.

Quoted:
Wait, do you mean a device that disables Macrovision copy protection?  That's another beast entirely.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:22:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Anyone?

Loose...oh, you mean "LOSER."

Anyway, look for something that defeats Macrovision as stated above.  That was the standard copy protection scheme used for many years to prevent people from makign duplicates of commercially made tapes.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#7]
How about someone letting me "borrow" a DVD copy of their laser disk Star Wars I, II, III.
Not the special editions, I want to see Han kill Greedo in all its gorey violence! (Like my VHS tapes)
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Looser with a ....
I never had this problem dubbing tapes from one vcr to another.

I have been looking for something that defeats the Macrothingie, none work.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anyone?

Anyway, look for something that defeats Macrovision as stated above.  That was the standard copy protection scheme used for many years to prevent people from makign duplicates of commercially made tapes.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:26:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

DVD players have Macrovision on the analog outputs as well.  Some allow you to turn it off from a hidden menu, like the ones from Apex.  DVD players with digital interfaces like DVI have HDCP on the interfaces, which is flat out encryption and requires HDCP on the display unit as well.  Some people with early DVI equipped HDTV's don't have HDCP, which means they cannot use that interface for digital content delivered from an HDCP derived box.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#11]
No Paul, I want to rip a couple of VHS tapes to DVD.
That's not working.
I tried Nero, WinDVD, and two others from Doom9.
Nothing is working.

Quoted:
You want to copy VHS to VHS?

What do you still have 8 track too?

If you want to copy from VHS into your computer a good encoder will strip the sync pulse - where Macrovision copy protection lives - and replace it so the picture looks fine. If you convert to digital video there is no "vertical interval" in digital so it's also gone.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You want to copy VHS to VHS?

If you want to copy from VHS into your computer a good encoder will strip the sync pulse - where Macrovision copy protection lives - and replace it so the picture looks fine. If you convert to digital video there is no "vertical interval" in digital so it's also gone.

I just run it through a Digi Beta.  A lof of screeners and demo reels are protected.  get on a deck and bounce them down to clean tape, or burn a DVD.
But I'm sure he doesn't want a 40 thousand dollar option.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:32:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I still have my old 8-track player from my El Camino and about 40 8 track tapes.
Zepplin, Aerosmith, Bad Company, Foreigner, Fogaht, Nugent, Alic Cooper, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Yes, Genesis, King Crimson....

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#14]
GBT,
How do you access the hidden menu on an Apex DVD player?

Thanks,
Breacher
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I still have my old 8-track player from my El Camino and about 40 8 track tapes.
Zepplin, Aerosmith, Bad Company, Foreigner, Fogaht, Nugent, Alic Cooper, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Yes, Genesis, King Crimson....

Quoted:

Dude.  E.L.P. is the SHIT!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:35:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
GBT,

Thanks,
Breacher

Gott be a specfic player.  I think the 600 series you can still find at Wal Mart
1. Turn on DVD player w/o disc.
2. Wait until the "No Disc" sign is displayed.
3. Go into the menu, and scroll down until "Preferences" is highlighted.
4. Press Step on the remote control, it is near the bottom.
5. Press Back. The button should look like this: (|<<)
6. Press Forward (|>>)
7. You should be in the Secret Loopholes menu where you can edit the Region ID as well as other things.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I use a Canopus AD decoder, a hardware "stabilizer" and Virtualdub... works like a champ!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#18]
That fade-out to the track change sucks on Karn Evil 9.
That's one of the reasons why I just upgraded to cassette....

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
That fade-out to the track change sucks on Karn Evil 9.
That's one of the reasons why I just upgraded to cassette....

Quoted:

KE9 is big time.  But for me "From the Beginning" is probably the best thing they ever recorded.
But Brain Salad Surgery is a strong album for certain.
Yeah I said ALBUM
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:48:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
GBT,

Thanks,
Breacher

Gott be a specfic player.  I think the 600 series you can still find at Wal Mart
6. Press Forward (|>>)
7. You should be in the Secret Loopholes menu where you can edit the Region ID as well as other things.

ar50troll,
Thanks for the help, I have an Apex AD-1200. Any ideas?
(I tried it anyway but was unable to access the menu)

Thanks,
Breacher
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
GBT,

Thanks,
Breacher

6. Press Forward (|>>)

ar50troll,

Thanks,
Breacher

I think the 1200 is newer.  APEX got sued.  The player has to be an A600D or AD600somthing like that I believe?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Sony mini DV cam on passthrough mode. Totally cuts out the macro. Run VCR to SonyminiDV,/passthrough/ to computer.

Can't you get the original (unedited) trilogy on DVD now? Or is it just the hacked up reworked mojo? If that is the case you can buy the japanese bootlegs off ebay. They are just the laserdisc, that is remastered to [glassmaster] dvd.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:53:59 PM EDT
[#23]
The big high school (late 70's) drug dealer with the smoking hot 14 year old girlfriend had one of those late 70's Dodge van conversions (with the "don't bother knocking if this van is rocking" sticker on the back), he had an LP player mounted in the back.

Quoted:
KE9 is big time.  But for me "From the Beginning" is probably the best thing they ever recorded.
But Brain Salad Surgery is a strong album for certain.
Yeah I said ALBUM

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Sony mini DV cam on passthrough mode. Totally cuts out the macro. Run VCR to SonyminiDV,/passthrough/ to computer.

Can't you get the original (unedited) trilogy on DVD now? Or is it just the hacked up reworked mojo? If that is the case you can buy the japanese bootlegs off ebay. They are just the laserdisc, that is remastered to [glassmaster] dvd.

Depends on camera. Most Pro-Sumer stuff still passes Macro-Vision. Worth a try though.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't have a mini DV cam.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Thanks,
Breacher

www.nerd-out.com/darrenk/AD1200/AD1200.htm
I just googles for ad 1200 hacks.
oops thats a a mutli region hack.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Not on passthrough it won't. It will on trying to record to the dv tape, but not on passthrough. At least this is true for pre-04 models. maybe it is different now.

Anyway, not that it is worth much, but the Formac Tevion will also lop off macro. So will the Sima Color corrector. There are many many ways to do it. Easier and cheaper to prolly buy the laserdisk, and player though.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I found this on VideoHelp, I guess there is no cheap easy software solution.

If you use the ADVC-100 with a TBC then you got one hell of a damn near perfect capture solution. At least as perfect as one can get without super duper expensive pro equipment that would cost several thousands of dollars.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Don't have a mini DV cam.

A lot of DVD hackers hit pawn shops looking for the older PAEX.  It should only cost 40 - 60 bucks.  I am pretty sure it is the 600 series.  You can do a search for APX DVD hacks..hell hold on a second...Here you go

So yeah a 600A series.  Hit some pawn shops.

Edited to say damn you guys are fast.  Duping on the Google search

While were on the subject here are pics of a recent broadcast install I did
Pics
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:58:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Do you know of a software based program?

Quoted:
Not on passthrough it won't. It will on trying to record to the dv tape, but not on passthrough. At least this is true for pre-04 models. maybe it is different now.

Anyway, not that it is worth much, but the Formac Tevion will also lop off macro. So will the Sima Color corrector. There are many many ways to do it. Easier and cheaper to prolly buy the laserdisk, and player though.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Let me see if my AIW card and Studio 8 software will work or not.

I should figure this crap out anyway I have 220+gigs of video I need to edit, and old tapes I need to convert too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:36:57 PM EDT
[#32]
OK, I tried to capture and in the preview windown the image was fine, but when I ripped it to an MPEG there was a tiny sliver of the video at the top the rest of the screen was green and no audio to be heard.

Is that the macrovision or is it something else?

Let me try something that was taped from broadcast TV.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How about someone letting me "borrow" a DVD copy of their laser disk Star Wars I, II, III.
Not the special editions, I want to see Han kill Greedo in all its gorey violence! (Like my VHS tapes)

I have the remastered, pre-Special Edition VHS tapes of the series.  I also have a JVC S-VHS deck with FireWire outputs (it is also a Mini-DV deck).  Further, I have copies of Vegas, Avid, and Premier.

Perhaps I should, you know, for test purposes, test my setup's ability to make DVDs from VHS...

-Troy

What AVID system do you have?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#35]
have you looked in your local pawn shop?  the reason is..THE NEW CODING FOR COPYIGHT DEPENDS ON YOUR MACHINE PROCESSOR!  i learned years ago that big business fears your right to rent a movie,record it, and play it back at your leisure.  back in the middle-late '80's the vcr you had then(if you had it) was the best thing going..MP3 my ass: just record it on your cassette-recorder or older vcr and it by-passes everything.. if ya got 2 old vcr's you're set.  Play (#1), cable set to vcr#2,record vcr#2,cable set to tv.  this setup will work for all of the components my in-laws use.  DVDplay/VCR1record/VCR2play/tv-in.  anybody else use another way to watch movies they pay for in another way?  FYI the reason DVD movies pause is because the newer machines recognize the pause as a RESET/non-RECORD FUNCTION and it will change the "freq" and make your recorder freeze up.  look up DVD-copy software (the express version is better)
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Taped from broadcast works fine, after I fixed the audio problem that was a seperate issue.

The audio isn't synced and frames are dropped all over the place though.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:03:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks! I'll check it out tomorrow.

Now that I think about it I did all of my VHS duping from a JVC VHS machine that I bought in 1992.

Quoted:
have you looked in your local pawn shop?  the reason is..THE NEW CODING FOR COPYIGHT DEPENDS ON YOUR MACHINE PROCESSOR!  

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:46:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top